Breaking the Sugar Addiction

Options
I saw a 30day challenge that listed a bunch of things not to eat (cookies, white bread, candy etc) and it stirred a motivation I constantly think about: Eating better! Isn’t that why we are all on My Fitness Pal? Today is my official day #1. I’m 2/3 of the way thru the day and have done great. Going to do an Orange Theory workout and pick up a salad on the way home.

How are YOU doing with your day to day eating?

Replies

• Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    I’m not doing it to lose weight. I’m actually pretty fit @ 125lb. I’m looking at food for what it is. If it’s considered junk, then it’s junk. And I’m addicted to it! 😩😂.

Everyone has their own way of taking charge of their nutrition/health.

Best of luck.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    I'm not "addicted to" junk, and I dislike the idea that most on MFP are. Similarly, way back in '14 when I joined MFP, I ate really well compared to the average American in terms of things like veg (I ate many servings and enjoyed them), home cooking, not eating a lot of sweets or added sugar (and I was picky and so mainly ate desserts I made myself or, granted, fancy ice cream), but was still overweight because I ate too much and moved too little. I fixed those things, but not because I thought I ate poorly, nutritionally speaking. While I ate things I'd identify as high cal/low nutrition (I ate way too much cheese), I did not eat any white bread or candy and not a lot of added sugar, so resent the idea that this is common to all who want to improve their eating or lose weight.

Not sure about most MFP but 2 of the top 4 sources of calories in the US diet are grain based desserts and pop/energy drinks, etc, so looks like someone is maybe not "addicted to junk" in the true clinical sense, but eating too much of it.

Complete list:
    https://www.businessinsider.com/foods-that-make-up-most-of-the-calories-american-consume-2015-2

12f640xz032c.png
  • fitness_krista
    fitness_krista Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    As a challenge, would you be able to not have any bad foods? I think I would see significant changes — like all that hard work at the gym would show more. I’m doing this as a challenge even though I eat very well — minus the chips, cookies, bagels, ice cream and chocolate that I have at least one of daily.
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Well the hole (intended) issue with the donut theory is a bit off. I am betting the majority of people who visit Dunkin Donuts or Krispy Kreme do not get just one donut. Yes I agree one is 190 calories, but many go for the chocolate covered so that shoots to 240 per donut. But I digress people say they are addicted to sugar, when what they really seem to eat lots of cookies, cake, donuts, candy bars, beverages and so on. Most of what I just listed yes have sugar, but also are loaded with fat, little protein.

If someone decides to do a challenge I say great go for it. But then what? The 30 days are up, do you go back to your old ways? Stay with new way? Or maybe learn to moderate the intake of less healthy food items, but so tasty.