Replies

• sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,980 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    acpgee wrote: »
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    hesn92 wrote: »
    I like my garlic press and my instant pot. I have one of these big, wide scrapey things that I use to scrape up all my diced onions and such to throw into my cooking pot, one they I always see people using in cooking videos lol. Because scraping them up with my knife takes too long. I like that little guy.

I can tell you my least favorite. It's the deep fryer. That thing is gross. I hate it. My husband brought it home one day and I've hated it ever since. We don't really have anywhere to put it either. It's in the same cabinet as the crock pot, and they don't fit in there together so that cabinet door just has to stay slightly ajar. LOL.

I stopped using the garlic press a while back. Use a zester and just grate the garlic into whatever. Also works great on frozen ginger.

When I buy ginger I peel and slice thinly against the grain, then zap in a mini food processor and freeze in ice cube trays. I transfer the ginger cubes into ziplock bags once frozen. For me, an easy way to add ginger to stir fries. Will try the grate from frozen technique to test which is easier. Will probably try this on galangal which I freeze too.

I use a garlic press when lazy but the smash and double Chinese cleaver method makes mince meat of garlic very quickly.

As for ginger, I just cut off a piece I need, remove the skin w/a teaspoon and grate it on a Japanese wasabi grater or on a modern handled grater and it's freshly and quickly done.

Juilenning ginger is also eat to do w/a sharp knife and I keep all of my knives sharp.
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    To each their own but . . .

I've cooked rice on the stovetop and in a rice cooker and far prefer the rice cooker that I've been using 4 almost 30 yrs.

I have used pressure cookers and still have 1 that I should throw away because I never use it. What's the hurry? Low and slow cooking is the way to go IMO.
    I think my brain is unable to process thinking about dinner while eating breakfast so my instant pot gets a LOT of use, so much so my husband has his mom get me a second one for Christmas last year and I frequently have both going at the same time for a meal. Cooks beautiful rice (well, one model does. The one that does it on low pressure, the other only has a high pressure setting and the bottom tends to burn). I had rice down pat with a certain brand, then I couldn’t find it anymore and the new stuff was much morenfinicky - it was either crunchy, gooey mush, or somehow both. And hard boiled eggs. Those two items alone are worth me having an IP (for my family of 6 I will do 4c uncooked rice and have little to none leftover).

• missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    I use my crockpot more than any other gadget. I make a lot of soups, and low and slow is great for soups.
    My best kitchen tool is a sharp set of knives. I use knives every day.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    I love my Ninja Foodi.... air fryer and electric pressure cooker in one. Also cooks food from frozen when I forget to take something out.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I like my garlic press and my instant pot. I have one of these big, wide scrapey things that I use to scrape up all my diced onions and such to throw into my cooking pot, one they I always see people using in cooking videos lol. Because scraping them up with my knife takes too long. I like that little guy.

I can tell you my least favorite. It's the deep fryer. That thing is gross. I hate it. My husband brought it home one day and I've hated it ever since. We don't really have anywhere to put it either. It's in the same cabinet as the crock pot, and they don't fit in there together so that cabinet door just has to stay slightly ajar. LOL.

I stopped using the garlic press a while back. Use a zester and just grate the garlic into whatever. Also works great on frozen ginger.

I do that with ginger but I find it hard to get the whole garlic clove that way because I'm scared of skinning my finger into my food :D Of course the garlic press doesn't get the whole garlic either, and garlic is cheap, so I'm not sure why I care.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,642 Member
    Options

When I buy ginger I peel and slice thinly against the grain, then zap in a mini food processor and freeze in ice cube trays. I transfer the ginger cubes into ziplock bags once frozen. For me, an easy way to add ginger to stir fries. Will try the grate from frozen technique to test which is easier. Will probably try this on galangal which I freeze too.

I freeze both along with lemon grass and lime leafs. The lemon grass also grates super easy into dishes with the zester.

I will try grating frozen lemongrass. I normally dice fine while still partially frozen.

What is your technique for dealing with frozen kaffir lime leaves? They only take a few minutes to defrost and I cut out the spines then roll the halved leaves into tiny cigars and cut to very fine julien with scissors. A technique I learned from a cooking class on a vacation in Cambodia. But I guess if you are using lime leaves for curries rather than garnishes you probably just use them whole.
  • acpgee
    Options

I use a garlic press when lazy but the smash and double Chinese cleaver method makes mince meat of garlic very quickly.

As for ginger, I just cut off a piece I need, remove the skin w/a teaspoon and grate it on a Japanese wasabi grater or on a modern handled grater and it's freshly and quickly done.

Juilenning ginger is also eat to do w/a sharp knife and I keep all of my knives sharp.

If I trek to the Asian supermarket I can buy ginger in any quantity that suits me. However the supermarkets near me package ginger in big bags forcing to buy a huge quantity relative to our two person household that cooks Asian maybe 2 days a week. I always end up having to freeze some of it.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,357 Member
    Options
    Love our instant pot & use it often, even husband who only cooked BBQ before cooks in it
  • acpgee
    Options

If I trek to the Asian supermarket I can buy ginger in any quantity that suits me. However the supermarkets near me package ginger in big bags forcing to buy a huge quantity relative to our two person household that cooks Asian maybe 2 nights a week. I always end up having to freeze some of it.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    My steamer broke last night...so I made rice in the instant pot (pressure cooker) for the first time ever...it was so delicious and took half the time, now I no longer need a steamer!
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    Wish i could put recipes and ingredients in myfitnesspal together!

What do you mean? You can create recipes and meals in MyFitnessPal.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,523 Member
    Options
    This gizmo from Amazon. I use it almost every day. It chops food with a few easy pulls of the “Chatty Cathy” doll type pull-string. Non electric and super easy to clean.

More pulls, the finer it dices. Makes fab chopped tomatoes for guacamole.

qh0wh4xs1ixm.jpeg
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,933 Member
    Options
    I don't understand that someone disagrees with my appreciation of new rice cooker. Is it because the product is Chinese? I am not even American.

I didn’t click any buttons either, but my guess on the disagree would be down to rice cookers in general! I have never understood why they exist! 😂

They take up so much space and do a job that can be done in a standard saucepan 🤷‍♀️

The actual reason I’ve posted, though, is to ask the significance of the last line ‘I am not even American.’

Is there some push back in America about products made in China or something? 🤔

I didn't disagree with the rice cooker post either, but agree that rice can be cooked perfectly in a standard saucepan on either gas or electric stove.

IMO, simmering on electric is trickier than gas, but I have found I get perfect long grain white rice every time if I bring the water to boil, add the rice, stir, immediately turn down to the 10:30 position, and set the timer for 20 minutes. Then, remove from heat and sit for 5 min. Finally, fluff and serve.
  • acpgee
    Options
    We've been making rice on the stove top for years, but I actually prefer the rice that comes out of the rice cooker which has more separation between the grains. But mainly it is the convenience of not having to set the timer, keeping an eye for when it comes to a boil which has made me want a rice cooker for years. In the asian household I grew up in we had one, and I always preferred the convenience, but just didn't like the way any of the appliances looked until my colleague recommended the Xiaomi. But since, I notice the one from Muji (a Japanese version of Target) does a really nice compact minimal looking rice cooker too. And the buttons and menus are available in English.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    angel7472 wrote: »
    I've never heard of instant pot but I do have 2 stove top pressure cookers(never use them). What I do love is my crock pot. I can put a meal in there go to my daughters volleyball or softball games (depending on season) and have dinner when we get home. Also great in summer when it's too hot to cook. Just throw something in it and it doesn't heat the kitchen the way my stove would.

Yes, I don't care that my slow cookers are slow because I am multitasking while they are working - like sleeping or working :lol:

I work from home and this time of year often prep dinner at lunch time, throw it in the crock pot, and it's ready at dinner time. Next up: chicken cacciatore.

My overnight "recipes" are making stock from bones that I've saved in the freezer and cooking black beans (no presoaking required.)

When I was in Costa Rico I did use a traditional stove top pressure cooker, and liked it there, but did not feel the urge to get one when I returned to the US.

If someone were to give me a pressure cooker or Insta Pot, I'd definitely experiment with it, but feel no need at this time to go out and get one. That might change if I ever go back to commuting to work again.

For those of you with Insta Pot looking for recipes, allrecipes.com has plenty: https://www.allrecipes.com/recipes/11978/everyday-cooking/cookware-and-equipment/pressure-cooker/

I would personally start with ATK's cookbook though: Multicooker Perfection: Cook It Fast or Cook It Slow-You Decide
  • acpgee
    Options
    The Muji rice cooker is damned cute too, but twice the price of the Xiaomi. I think I am okay with living with Chinese buttons and menus given the price difference.
    https://www.muji.eu/pages/online.asp?Sec=8&Sub=62&PID=9188
  • PrismaticPhoenix
    PrismaticPhoenix Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I really love the Instant Pot. I use it both to cook general recipes but also to pressure cook beans for other recipes. I also like the Ninja for cutting up/food processing stuff.
  • armyvet25
    armyvet25 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I buy my wife every gadget/cooker she wants, but we still love the ole crockpot best!
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I don't understand that someone disagrees with my appreciation of new rice cooker. Is it because the product is Chinese? I am not even American.

I didn’t click any buttons either, but my guess on the disagree would be down to rice cookers in general! I have never understood why they exist! 😂

They take up so much space and do a job that can be done in a standard saucepan 🤷‍♀️

The actual reason I’ve posted, though, is to ask the significance of the last line ‘I am not even American.’

I didn't disagree with the rice cooker post either, but agree that rice can be cooked perfectly in a standard saucepan on either gas or electric stove.

IMO, simmering on electric is trickier than gas, but I have found I get perfect long grain white rice every time if I bring the water to boil, add the rice, stir, immediately turn down to the 10:30 position, and set the timer for 20 minutes. Then, remove from heat and sit for 5 min. Finally, fluff and serve.

That sounds like the absorption method? I’ll use that for sticky rice/jasmine rice etc, but generally I just throw mine into a decent sized pot of boiling salted water, simmer until almost done (12-15 mins for white/basmati, maybe 25 for brown) drain in a sieve, return to the dry pan, cover with a clean tea towel and the lid so it finishes cooking in it’s own steam without condensation (towel absorbs steam) and it’s beautifully fluffy and separate grains. In all the 40 years I’ve been cooking rice I’ve possibly stuffed it up twice!

I do agree that it’s a lot easier on gas than electric hob though!
  • kshama2001
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

That sounds like the absorption method? I’ll use that for sticky rice/jasmine rice etc, but generally I just throw mine into a decent sized pot of boiling salted water, simmer until almost done (12-15 mins for white/basmati, maybe 25 for brown) drain in a sieve, return to the dry pan, cover with a clean tea towel and the lid so it finishes cooking in it’s own steam without condensation (towel absorbs steam) and it’s beautifully fluffy and separate grains. In all the 40 years I’ve been cooking rice I’ve possibly stuffed it up twice!

I do agree that it’s a lot easier on gas than electric hob though!

Huh, I have never heard of that method!