Healthy flour

I'm sick and tired of almond or coconut flour! I'm not on Keto or any low carb diet or doesn't have to be gluten free. Someone can recommend me healthy flour to make anything from baking to make sauces.
Thank you

Replies

• Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member

Except celery. That stuff is frankly vile.

That made me laugh!!! BTW...I love celery...especially with Cheez Wiz....yes that is my guilty pleasure.

OP any flour is fine.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Any flour you like.
    What’s unhealthy about flour?
  • oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    If anyone has an issue with white flour, I use whole wheat pastry flour for just about everything with no discernable difference.

That being said, there are recipes that do better with alternative flours, and will say as much.
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    Gosh these days there are other types than plain old white flour, that still taste good. Before switching to low carb, I used a variety of other flours than just the basic all purpose. I like to experiment in the kitchen.

Whole wheat flour, sometimes mix with some white if starting to get used to.

Buckwheat, can be used for more than just pancakes, and there is no wheat in it.

Cake flour really does make cakes very light, like sponge cakes.

Bread flour, have used a few times.

Barley flour my least favorite, but there are recipes out there.

Some of the above have more protein than others, and did not check which might be gluten free if any. I do know there are some flours that are gluten free.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    I just use whatever flour a recipe calls for. I probably use all purpose flour more than anything as I don't do a lot of baking in particular. I use a special flour for making tortillas. I personally don't see anything inherently unhealthy about any particular flour...if anything, it's a fairly benign ingredient.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    If you prefer whole wheat flour for flavor, but are trying to make something that needs to be chewy/springy (like pizza crust, for example), substitute a tablespoon of vital wheat gluten for a tablespoon of flour in each cup of flour (to start; if it's still not springy enough dough, gradually up the gluten).

Any flour that contributes in a positive way to your daily nutritional needs, including calorie goal, and to which you're not sensitive/allergic/medically-restricted, is a healthy flour.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    I agree with the other posters that it is unclear why you think regular flour is unhealthy. I use whatever type a recipe calls for or sometimes I replace half the all-purpose flour with whole wheat flour. I generally prefer King Arthur brand because I like the way baked goods turn out compared with other brands, but I don't think it is more or less healthy.
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    I'm sick and tired of almond or coconut flour! I'm not on Keto or any low carb diet or doesn't have to be gluten free. Someone can recommend me healthy flour to make anything from baking to make sauces.
    Thank you

What do you think is unhealthy about regular flour made from wheat?
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Looks like OP is not answering, but I will also put in my 2c, which is pretty much what everyone else has said.

What's the problem with flour?

Personally, I use whole wheat flour more often than plain white flour, but depending on what i'm makin g- eg birthday cake - then the plain old white flour is better than wholewheat. But for stuff like banana bread or whatever, wholewheat. I use buckwheat too. Sometimes I mix 2 types of flour together.

I can make a yummy chocolate coconut cake with a mixture of coconut flour + plain old white flour.

Rye flour is good for some stuff too.

What I DO tend to do (unless making birthday cake) is use dark brown sugar and in way less quantity than recipes usually call for, instead of refined white sugar. People will say sugar is still sugar, which it is, but I find the dark brown stuff gives things a nice flavour. Except plain old birthday cake. That needs to be made in the old-skool traditional white flour white sugar way.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    Ps - I use the flour called for in the recipe so have these varieties of wheat flour on hand:
    1. All purpose
    2. Whole wheat
    3. Bread
    4. Cake
    5. Special pizza flour which did not make a difference IMO
  • IsKingaskinnyyet
    IsKingaskinnyyet Posts: 22 Member
    Thank you everyone for answering. I'm not saying the regular white flour is unhealthy or dangerous or anything like that. I've read that when white flour is made in process most of nutrition is taken out of it. All the minerals are in the germ, which is removed. There is fiber in the hull that is also lost. When I check most of in "whole wheat" flour is white flour with high percentages with a hand full whole wheat thrown in it. My question was if anyone know better version of flour with better nutrition and fiber.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    White flour is what makes the world go round. As we speak, I am making beef stroganoff with white flour as a thickener. Don’t believe everything you read on the net.