Working from Home

Options
Good morning!

Everyday I work from home, and so I don't move around so much. What are some things that you would suggest to get active while working from home? Has anyone else implimented a useful strategy? All help is appreciated. Thanks!

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,115 Member
    Options
    I don't have one myself, but I've seen other people mention a treadmill desk as a possibility.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Set an alarm to move every hour and walk at least 250 steps, 20 push ups, 20 sit ups, etc.

I'm far more efficient when working from home. The office has far too many distractions and side conversations. Still I operate by the same schedule and add some manner of activity every hour.
  • Shortgirlrunning
    Shortgirlrunning Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    I work from home.

I take my dog on a walk 3x a day and get in a 30 minute workout every morning (before starting my work day) and an afternoon run 2-3x a week. My runs are usually my “lunch” that day. I don’t have to be tied to my desk all day. I take my phone with me, respond to emails, answer calls, no one cares what I’m doing all day as long as the work gets done. So I schedule all these things into my day.

For me it’s so important to have activity scheduled in at a specific time. If I just vaguely say “I’ll do X at some point today” some point never comes and it doesn’t get done.
  • jumpingborderterrier
    Options
    Get a desk that you can stand or sit with. Sit on a large exercise ball instead of a chair. Walk every hour for a set amount of minutes.
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    Get a desk that you can stand or sit with. Sit on a large exercise ball instead of a chair. Walk every hour for a set amount of minutes.

You can take that one step further and get a treadmill or cycling desk. These are extremely helpful for me with my low blood pressure, as slow, steady motion seems to keep me much warmer, and the increased general comfort without sleepiness boosts my productivity.
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,612 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    YouTube workout videos... Sooo many YouTube workout videos. Look for whatever you enjoy- yoga, Pilates, aerobic. They even have all different workout lengths from 6 minutes to 60 depending on how much of a break you want to take.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    I work from home and every day at lunch time I exercise. Depending on the weather and season, it might be lifting weights, practicing yoga, gardening, walking, hiking, shoveling snow, snow shoeing, but I do something.

This acts as a mild appetite suppressant. In addition to not having the afternoon munchies, I am more productive and relaxed in the afternoon.

I also make sure to move around outside of lunchtime - make tea, pee, make more tea, pee some more :lol: This doesn't burn a lot of calories, but sitting for long stretches of time is not good for the body.

Sitting Kills, Moving Heals: How Everyday Movement Will Prevent Pain, Illness, and Early Death -- and Exercise Alone Won't was available from my library system and was very inspirational.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I WFH and I go to the gym for 2 hours every morning 6:30 - 8:30 AM. At lunch I might run errands to get outside and socialize. If the weather is nice I go outside and throw the frisbee to the dogs. When my hubby comes home I greet him like the dogs do! LOL!
  • rachnsaf
    rachnsaf Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I also work from home, I do Leslie Sansone's 'Walk from Home' videos, they're free on YouTube.
  • PiscesIntuition
    PiscesIntuition Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    Greetings! I’m a stay at home mom. I workout early before my children wake up. I did P90x. Right now, I’m doing M&S Full Body Dumbbell training program.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    dbanks80 wrote: »
    I WFH and I go to the gym for 2 hours every morning 6:30 - 8:30 AM. At lunch I might run errands to get outside and socialize. If the weather is nice I go outside and throw the frisbee to the dogs. When my hubby comes home I greet him like the dogs do! LOL!

So you bark, wag your tail, run around in circles, and jump up on him despite all the effort to teach you to stop?

I have been laying the foundation for frisbee but my pup still lacks coordination and/or concentration to catch things reliably. Luckily his fetch game is pretty consistent.

Getting back on topic though dog training which I do in manageable 5-10 minute sessions also requires that I am active. I typically do it right after I eat lunch. I take him out to relieve himself and get the mail and then stop in the garage for a training session.

The point of that is not to race out and get a dog. It is to avoid thinking in large changes. Small changes add up. Also, if you can do something that improves your activity and your life in general you will have bigger pay-offs. In my case my once very hard to manage rescue is not considerably better behaved. Still a handful but much improved.
  • axsxmxa
    axsxmxa Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I make it a point to leave the house and go for a walk at least once a day. To be completely honest the only thing that's motivating enough to make me do that is food, so I usually pick a supermarket that's a reasonable distance and walk there (usually to buy myself some nice treat, that'll fit in my calorie goal). All of them are at least a 20 minute walk from my house, so there and back I get a decent amount of steps in; on days where I can spare the time, I walk to the one that's 40 minutes away from my house. There and back is 10k steps alone.

Also, quite frequently, I head to my local library to work there instead. It's 30 minutes away from my house, so I get a decent walk in either way; but what also helps is being away from my kitchen. There's a lot more temptation to snack frequently when the kitchen's right there, but being in the library, I don't have an abundance of food available in the room next door; there's also a bunch of strangers all around me and I'm more self-conscious of myself and my eating habits. I'll usually just take a sandwich and a drink with me, and that's all I end up eating.
  • auburngirl06
    auburngirl06 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I work from home full-time. My office is upstairs so every hour when my AW reminds me to stand I get up and go downstairs to the furthest bathroom in the house. I drink a refill a small water glass every hour just to get me up and down the stairs. I take my dog for short 10 mins walks in the afternoon most days. My lunch hour is my exercise time. I either go for a run in my neighborhood or do a workout video- I use beachbody on demand. This has worked for me since the first of the year when I began working at home. It takes a lot of discipline and structure. On the off days I can’t get the workout in I will do it after work or get up early for before.

I’ve been looking into getting a large exercise ball to sit on in lieu of my comfy chair.. should help with my posture too.