Ave weight loss per week and calories

Options
So over 5 weeks I have noticed an average weight loss of 0.3kg (300g) a week. At this rate it will take me a year and 3 months to reach my goal of 22kg loss! Incredibly disheartening.
I've upped my walking time and intensity in the last week, walking 5k a day in under 60 minutes on an incline - no significant changes on the scale. I'm eating around 1250 calories a day (it should be 1300 but I'm worried that I will gain if I increase my calories!) As a chocoholic I do have one single kit Kat Finger a night as my "treat" (again, still under my calories for the day). Are calories equal? Eg 120cal from say fat free yogurt or 120cal of from a chocolate? They equal the same calories? Or does one have to cut out sugar, cut down /cut out dairy, cut out/cut down on carbs to actually see results? I'm one of those people that if I'm deprived I will binge and then give up! I really need help here.

Replies

• bethjl96
    bethjl96 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    My first thought is that maybe you aren’t eating enough? If you are eating under what you should be you probably won’t lose weight.
  • shelleysykeskeene
    shelleysykeskeene Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Yes, a calorie is a calorie. The amount of nutrition and bang for your buck may differ, but strictly speaking for weight loss, calories are the same. Lots of people like to overcomplicate things and say they aren't, though.

As for what the above poster said- don't worry: you absolutely can NOT gain weight by eating too little. It's simply not possible.

Have you tried using a food scale? That was a huge eye opener for me personally, and helps me keep right on track. If I have days of water retention, etc, and the scale goes up a bit, I at least know it's not because I accidentally overate (which is so easy to do).

I'm rooting for you!

Thank you for rooting for me! I do have a food scale, as well as using cups and spoons (I bought a baking measuring set and I make sure everything is perfectly level - no heaped spoons or cups!)

I am just confused because when I followed specific diets such as Kelfit or weigh less (which are the same amount of calories) I lost an average of 0.8 to 1.2kgs a week. And with them it was strict eating plans - no alcohol, no sugar etc - you could only eat what was on the plan - completely inflexible which I why I lose but couldn't sustain it. I cannot follow those plans anymore because I'm now lactose and gluten sensitive and not sure what to replace the dairy with!
  • bethjl96
    bethjl96 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I did not say she would gain weight from not eating enough....I was just trying to be helpful and suggest that by not eating enough it was not helping her weight loss goals. I have seen it happen before....
  • brittanystebbins95
    brittanystebbins95 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    bethjl96 wrote: »
    I did not say she would gain weight from not eating enough....I was just trying to be helpful and suggest that by not eating enough it was not helping her weight loss goals. I have seen it happen before....

No, I get what you mean now that you explain it that way.
    By not eating enough, one could set themselves up for failure because they won't be able to sustain the diet long term and will either give up or end up bingeing.

I was there. That's the entire reason I gained weight in the first place.
    I had no issues with my weight, ever. I was healthy. Went through a traumatic accident and then other teenage strife on top of it, stressed out about boys, too, and developed an eating disorder.
    I'd starve myself for days on end eating as little as 400 calories a day sometimes, or sometimes even just all day, and then break stride and binge for a week straight before I broke myself of that and went back to not eating.
    A year of that and I packed on almost 60 lbs.

So, I understand what you meant by gaining weight from not eating enough.

I think she's figured out a pretty good balance for herself, though. She's allowing herself a treat and staying within her calories. She doesn't claim to be hungry all the time or feel deprived.

But to answer the original question: Yes, a calorie is a calorie. Even if it takes you a year, so be it. That's where I failed again and again and again and put on weight instead of losing it. I set a timeline for myself and then panicked when I wasn't reaching it everytime, and then gave up.
    Just breathe. Relax. Stay consistent and you will get there. Your end goal does not have an expiration date. Keep doing what you're doing. Depriving yourself will only increase your chances of giving up and then it will take you even longer. This is your health, the rest of your life we are talking about. There's no deadline.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Often we want to lose weight as quickly as possible. I understand that but the trouble with that goal is that we often find ourselves going in circles because we can't sustain that level of deprivation for long. Another side to the equation is that when you lose 22 kg your maintenance calories will be lower. So you're going to eventually be pretty close to your maintenance level anyway. If you find it hard to do what you are doing now permanently you will end up gaining the weight back. So eat things you like and just stay at or under your goal and the time will go by faster than you think. I agree with @NovusDies that your old diet likely caused a water weight loss. This is very common when carbs are restricted. Hopefully what you are losing now is fat. Let's face it that's our goal anyway. Hang in there you're doing great.