Vegans, what did you eat today?

Orphia
Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
Let's share ideas, people!

I'm naturally a follower of The Planetary Diet, which is semi-veg (a few meat-free days a week, mince maybe once a week, cuts of red meat once a month).

I'd love to transition into vegan if I can keep my current perfect full blood test results.

Always disliked being bullied to eat red meat; was anaemic being a pescatarian 12 years, though I ate little in the way of pulses, beans, leafy veg.

I've learnt a lot about nutrition, weight management, and satisfying eating while being on MFP over 4 years.

I'm lactose intolerant.

Most "meat free" or vegetarian recipes in mass media have dairy (milk or cheese or yoghurt) in them, so I'm annoyed with looking in those places such as the recipe magazines in supermarkets.

Looking for combinations of plant-based things, or easy ways you substitute dairy ingredients for plant-based, and how to include the right nutrients in your weekly meals.

Replies

• wendyheath32
    wendyheath32 Posts: 74 Member
    Been vegan for just over 3 years and I had some oat biscuits for my breakfast with my coffee. Out for lunch today
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    It’s a little late to implement but one of the niftiest Thanksgiving ideas I’ve seen for vegans involved a whole roasted stuffed pumpkin. It makes a nice holiday themed centerpiece for everyone to cut into instead of the big bird, and the stuffing soaks up the pumpkin juices. Stuff with half stuffing and topped with protein of choice.
  • Orphia
    Thanks, all, these are great!

I'm in Australia, and my son is vegetarian and lactose intolerant, and eats a lot of vegan meals partly from living with a vegan.

I must admit I've never eaten tempeh, or tahini for that matter (that I can remember) which I'm starting to notice in vegan things online.

I like the suggestions for stuffed peppers/pumpkin, and I saw somewhere a mention of stuffed tofu, so that sounds like the impetus for some Chrimbo creativity. :smile:
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Orphia wrote: »

I'm in Australia, and my son is vegetarian and lactose intolerant, and eats a lot of vegan meals partly from living with a vegan.

I must admit I've never eaten tempeh, or tahini for that matter (that I can remember) which I'm starting to notice in vegan things online.

I like the suggestions for stuffed peppers/pumpkin, and I saw somewhere a mention of stuffed tofu, so that sounds like the impetus for some Chrimbo creativity. :smile:

Tempeh and tahini are really different things :). Tempeh is a fermented soybean product that has a nutty taste. Depending on what the recipe is, you may be able to substitute other proteins.

Tahini is sesame seed paste; it’s a standard ingredient in hummus. Depending on the recipe, you may be able to substitute other nut/seed butters.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,586 Member
    OP, lactose intolerant people can often eat yoghurt and some cheeses because the bacteria that made the yoghurt or cheese has already digested the lactose.
  • ThatJuJitsuWoman
    ThatJuJitsuWoman Posts: 155 Member
    The majority of recipes using butter, milk or yoghurt can be made exactly the same using vegan alternatives.

Cheese is a bit different because vegan cheese is generally not that good! I quite like the Violife slices, but that’s the only brand that’s anywhere near the right taste. I usually avoid very cheesy recipes, and leave out the cheese if there’s only a little bit in the recipe.

Today I ate potato waffles with scrambled tofu, peppers, mushrooms and spinach for breakfast. I’ll be making leek and potato soup for lunch, haven’t decided on dinner yet.
  • Orphia
    apullum wrote: »

Tempeh and tahini are really different things :). Tempeh is a fermented soybean product that has a nutty taste. Depending on what the recipe is, you may be able to substitute other proteins.

Tahini is sesame seed paste; it’s a standard ingredient in hummus. Depending on the recipe, you may be able to substitute other nut/seed butters.

Ha, thanks, I can see my post reads like I thought they were similar, but I just meant they were both things that I'd read about recently that I didn't remember having.

Tempeh sounds a bit like tofu, though is tofu fermented, and do you use them both in similar ways?
  • Orphia
    acpgee wrote: »
    OP, lactose intolerant people can often eat yoghurt and some cheeses because the bacteria that made the yoghurt or cheese has already digested the lactose.

Thanks, yes, someone else said that. Haven't had time to read more about it.

I think my guts were pretty good when I had Chobani Pro yoghurt for breakfast. Perhaps not so much when I had cheese later in the day.

I might test that. Though I want to be able to make my own yoghurt. Another thing on my list.
  • ThatJuJitsuWoman
    Tempeh sounds a bit like tofu, though is tofu fermented, and do you use them both in similar ways?

I’ve only tried tempeh once and I didn’t like it much. It has a very different taste and texture to tofu. I didn’t really know what to do with it, so maybe I’ll find a decent recipe and try it again. Hopefully someone who likes it will come along and give us some ideas on how to cook it!
  • acpgee

I’ve only tried tempeh once and I didn’t like it much. It has a very different taste and texture to tofu. I didn’t really know what to do with it, so maybe I’ll find a decent recipe and try it again. Hopefully someone who likes it will come along and give us some ideas on how to cook it!

Unfortunately the nicest way to have tempeh is to deep fry it, then slather it in a sauce.

https://dailycookingquest.com/tempeh-kecap-fried-tempeh-in-sweet-soy-sauce.html
  • Orphia
    The majority of recipes using butter, milk or yoghurt can be made exactly the same using vegan alternatives.

Cheese is a bit different because vegan cheese is generally not that good! I quite like the Violife slices, but that’s the only brand that’s anywhere near the right taste. I usually avoid very cheesy recipes, and leave out the cheese if there’s only a little bit in the recipe.

Today I ate potato waffles with scrambled tofu, peppers, mushrooms and spinach for breakfast. I’ll be making leek and potato soup for lunch, haven’t decided on dinner yet.

Yes, I bought some vegan cheese and it smelt awful!

I tried a different brand, and it's great.

Had that cheese, avocado, and tomato in a roll for lunch. Very quick lunch because I'd been to parkrun then coffee and was too starving to make anything else.

Breakfast was the usual lately - my mixture of grain cereals, strawberry lactose-free yoghurt, a banana, and almond milk.
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    I am not a vegan but today I for dinner I had a completely vegan Buddha Bowl with falafel as the features source of protein.... and by a bowl I mean a tub.

Nice!

For dinner I've had "fish-style" vegan fillets, rice with Vietnamese flavour and veg, and edamame.

I've also had a nectarine, some crisps, a caramel/sesame bar, a piece of fruit toast with olive oil spread, some sour jellies, and a mango/coconut ice stick.
  • ThatJuJitsuWoman

Unfortunately the nicest way to have tempeh is to deep fry it, then slather it in a sauce.

That’s a shame. Deep fried is also my favourite way to eat tofu, especially from the Chinese takeaway!
  • acpgee

That’s a shame. Deep fried is also my favourite way to eat tofu, especially from the Chinese takeaway!

I sometimes toss julienned tempeh with a little oil and put in the air fryer. It comes out a little tougher than the deep fryer but not that far away. You can get something close to deep fried tofu without using the deep fat fryer by coating tofu in cornstarch or potato starch and then shallow frying. It comes out with crispy edges this way. You do need to use a good non stick pan, as otherwise the starch sticks to the pan. I hate the cleanup of deep frying, never mind the calories.
  • Madamesmith
    Madamesmith Posts: 9 Member
    Another non-vegan here... I’ve been enjoying Besan/chickpea flour pancakes and frittata for either breakfast or lunch. Today’s was a zucchini frittata from The Rawsome Vegan, served with roasted tomatoes and avocado. Other good accompaniments are roasted vegetables: beetroot, carrot and feta is a good (non-vegan) combination; as is cauliflower and pumpkin. And I’ll add hummus or a feta and spinach dip or a salsa.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,959 Member

Start with extra firm tofu, squeeze or press out as much liquid as you can, then fry in just enough oil to coat your pan (I recommend a well-seasoned cast iron skillet), until you get a little crusty browning on at lest a couple of sides of each piece.
  • TayaCurragh
    TayaCurragh Posts: 709 Member
    I would like to incorporate some more meat-free meals into my diet. The problem I have is that I need to eat low carb due to a blood sugar issue - so my meals tend to be meat & veg. Does anyone have any ideas for this?
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    edited December 2019
    apullum wrote: »

Ha, thanks, I can see my post reads like I thought they were similar, but I just meant they were both things that I'd read about recently that I didn't remember having.

Tempeh isn't smooth like tofu, it has whole soybeans, and it crumbles. It is fermented. I use it for things that you might use ground beef in for a similar type texture (like chili or spaghetti sauce). I don't really add it for flavor per se, but more for the texture and protein. So generally in things that are spiced already.

You can also cube, marinate and bake or fry it. I have a recipe (from Post Punk Kitchen I believe) for a baked maple tempeh with sweet potatoes that I make sometimes.

There are also quite a few processed products where it is made into "bacon" and "sausages". I think it most grocery stores that is what you would find for "tempeh". I just get mine plain by the block in a health food store.

I eat it all the time have never personally deep fried it. But I don't deep fry anything.
  • acpgee
    I would like to incorporate some more meat-free meals into my diet. The problem I have is that I need to eat low carb due to a blood sugar issue - so my meals tend to be meat & veg. Does anyone have any ideas for this?

For any asian stir fry, it is easy to replace the meat with seitan. In asian grocer's this is sold as "buddhist mock meat". But you can get seitan at Trader Joe's but it will probably be more expensive there. If rice has too high a glycemic index for you, replace with cauliflower rice (raw cauliflower blitzed in the food processor until it resembles rice grains).

Here is an example of a seitan instead of beef recipe.
    https://www.connoisseurusveg.com/vegan-mongolian-beef/