JUST FOR TODAY -- One Day at a Time .... Daily commitment thread for 2019

Replies

• ZizzyBumble
    ZizzyBumble Posts: 1,679 Member
    Friday November 29th

Another day of not posting and I’m probably in the red again - I’ve not logged yet! I have made about 100 sugar snowflakes for my Christmas cake and I did meet my Fitbit exercise goals.
  • Bex953172
    Bex953172 Posts: 4,048 Member
    Casey started crying again the minute she woke, wouldnt eat. Etc etc screaming ow ow ow. She then wouldnt let me touch her, then whacking me sayi g no no.
    So i got ash to ring the doctor, he got an appoingment for 30 mins later and i swear the second he put the phone down she stopped. I went anyway and just looked like a flaming idiot
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 17,930 Member
    The only failure is giving up!
    ==============================
    DISCARD 5 LBS CHALLENGES:
    #1: - 5; #2: - 5.2; #3: -1.4; #4: -4.8
    DISCARD 5 LBS CHALLENGE 5
    NAME: Terri
    SW: 150.8 (11/11)
    GW: 145.8
    29/11: CW: 149.8: - 1 I’ve been working on strength for several days with a not unexpected effect. It seems I can't build muscle and lose weight at the same time. And I always thought I was good at multi-tasking!!! 😂

Daily Goals
    • Food: log All food and drink; stay under goal; balance macros/micros; Hydrate adequately; NLNS!!!
    • Exercise: Knee Physio; 7,500+ Steps daily; 30 + minutes intentional exercise
    • Other: Daily Mindfulness Practice/Meditation; Practice Self-care; Positively reframe thoughts; Learn something new; 15 mins Daily Declutter session; keep up to date with chores

JFT: Fri 29 Nov
    Goals:
    Activities:
    • 10.30am: Latin Study Group✅
    • After lunch: Finish accounts✅
    • Mark out rest of patchwork pieces for sewing 😏-->
    JFT: Sat 30 Nov
    Goals:
    Activities:
    • am: outing with DYD
    • work on patchwork
    Calorie Goal Challenge ~|~ Start Date: 4 Nov
    (I'm extending this Personal Challenge)
    Stay under goal until Christmas Eve
    Days Under: 25/25
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,689 Member
    @Bex953172 - I hope Casey has a better day.

I took yesterday and today off to get some crafting done and worked 14 hours yesterday and 12 today. I have a show tomorrow and then will put a big push on Sunday again. We have 120 ornaments to get made by Thursday
  • Bex953172
    mytime6630 wrote: »
    So this morning, as I figured,my weight was up. By 1.5 pounds, so not as bad as it could be. I decided to get back on track.. even logged in what I had planned to eat today. But this time of year I struggle. I know it is seasonal depression, plus just the holiday losses I always feel, plus I was tired, plus it is raining outside.
    so I had to go to the drugstore to pick up my daughters pills .. decided I would get just one snickers Ice cream bar. Then they had Chocolate Marshmallow santas on sale .. 2 for $1.00, so I bought 2 of them. Then .. they had those little boxes of individual wrapped chocolates on sale ... 50% off. My daughter loves these, so I thought ... I'll put these away until christmas.

I am embarassed to say this ... but I binged big time, and ate all of this stuff, except for one of the boxes of chocolates. But ... I ate the snickers candy bar before I even got home, plus both of the chcolate marshmallows santas, and one of the boxes of chocolates ... and there are 12 chocolates in that box!!! What is wrong with me. This will not help me to feel better ... in fact... I feel worse.

I know I have to stop this. I am only about 4 pounds away from what my goal was in january .. to get to 178 pounds, which would get me in the normal range. But why do I sabatoge myself every holiday season.

Since my dad died on xmas eve I have been this way. Then my brother who committed suicide on thanksgiving day .. another brother on Jan 3 from cancer, another brother on Feb 9 from cancer. My only sister in Sept. This was years ago though (6 years for my brother who committed suicide). Hubby knows that this time of year is hard for me ... and keeps encouraging me to sew, do whatever I can try and be happy. And I am happy.. I have a wonderful husband, our son called yesterday, our daughter went with us to go out to eat. yet, I get home, and I remember the years we always drove to my family in Iowa .. and the table was set for about 19 of us.. and we laughed, and had the best time. I can't go back to that.. and I have to learn that this is my new normal, and be thankful (which I am) for what I have. But somehow, I know I programmed myself over the holidays to just pig out and eat.

So it stops now!! I need to buckle down the rest of the week .... and stay focused. And I know you guys will understand, especially those who have seen me do this every year!

So please give me that kick I need!!!!!

Right you! You have worked too damn hard to mess up now! And I bet you don't feel like you've worked hard but you've lost over 20lbs this year!!! Wanna know how many I've lost? NON.
    I have been thinking though about what you said and all I could come up with, was this..

This thread is all about just for today, what can we achieve in one day because it's easy when you break it down. And you've been doing this for 3-4? Years? So you get the process and how it actually works and it's ability to actually make people succeed if they stick to it.
    So I have a challenge for you, and it's a hard challenge.
    But just for 1 MONTH (to cover the majority of your losses) do NOT indulge in food to lessen the pain of their deaths.

You CAN do it. I KNOW you can. This is a habit you've had for years and can you honestly tell me it's actually helped at all? Maybe in that split second moment but I know it bothers you because every year you ask for help to not binge in this time and every year you still do it. We can't stop you! I wish we could help in that way but it's down to you. The best I can do is offer you an alternative and hope you take it!

What's worse is that to do this challenge it will need a lot of focus, which will also mean that you will be thinking of you're lost loved ones a lot more.

But you need to do something different! Maybe in the morning of one of their deaths, you can spend some time alone. Think about them, speak to them, think about what they would want you to do. And the answer is not to eat away your problems. Maybe toast to them with a glass of orange juice. Get everything out that you're feeling about it. Then live your day like any other day. Now you'll still think about them in the day. And that might make you want to eat something. But think about the morning you had with them, and have another glass of orange.
    I know orange isn't the best, but it's sweet (to help the craving), refreshing and better than chocolate! And I know you love OJ.

It's gonna be hard, very hard but with the momentum you've had this year I know you can keep it going!
    TALK to you lost loved ones, might seem weird but they wouldn't want you to sabotage yourself every year!

If you could do it, just this year, then you might just be able to do it every year if you remember the postitive year that you manage to change your habit!

I'm ALWAYS here if you need me!!

Oh and don't worry about last nights binge. It's done now. You've just had thanksgiving, give yourself a break!

.. just don't do it again lmao.
  • Bex953172
    Oh and Joan, I know you have an issue that when sweets or chocolate is on sale you feel like you have to buy it because it's a bargain. Saving money right?
    Have you ever though you'd be saving more money if you DIDNT BUY IT!! 😂
    Ahh I love you Joan! You're so funny!
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    JFT Saturday
    1. Therapy exercises: lunges, push-ups, ankle lifts, box jumps, plank. Balance work. Feed cats. Meds. Tea!
    2. Text B to check in. Email student. Message Z. Fold laundry.
    3. Type blog post. Pack dinner and garden items just in case. Prelog food for tomorrow. Set up JFT.
    4. Lunch with family. Go on a walk?
    5. Update class sites and first directions.
    6. Drink more water. No, more. Keep the pitcher in the fridge full. You're not actually hungry. Make some tea. Drink more water!
    7. Leave for garden 20 minutes after call. Dinner: Ham roll-ups. No cookies!
    8. Read more of Stamped.
    9. Gratitude journal. Therapy exercises: lunges, push-ups, ankle lifts, box jumps, plank. Meds. Floss, rinse, brush teeth.
    10. Ask about how to support new AP. Practice hair braiding with D. Check on appts for drs. Remind D to ask his dad about the table. Check with D about ceiling. START BLOGGING AGAIN. 3 posts/week? Create test for MLA format. Therapy exercises: lunges, push-ups, ankle lifts, box jumps, plank. Remember that M does not like surprises! Check dates of classes and update semester plan. Request parent meeting with KC and BW. She Should Run vision statement. Group checks for clear main idea, what else? Tuesday 11/26 writer meeting. Wed 12/5 dept meeting 7 AM. Thu 12/6 workshop; need sub plans. Print summer project checklist and research rubric. CALL KK PARENTS - POETRY PROJECT STILL NOT DONE.

Scale goals
    End of 2017: 174.6
    End of 2018: 189.2
    January 2019: 186.0
    February 2019: 187.0
    Today: 197.2

Ongoing plans/ideas behind the cut
    1. Purchases: Look for an "ugly Christmas sweater" and a long-haired doll at thrift stores. Practice French braiding. Go to used bookstore and look for On Writing (Stephen King), Dying for a Paycheck (Robin Hardman), The Prince (tr. Tim Parks, Russell Price, or Robert Adams), The Secret Adversary (Christie).
    2. E2: What should the controlling ideas be in a study of world literature? Review world lit options. Create vocabulary lists for each unit that come from the texts used: Animal Farm, Julius Caesar, Wes Moore, I Am Malala. Find a way to incorporate changing words from one part of speech to another. Students need to know how to review multiple sources and synthesize information in order to draw a conclusion. Need practice with the difference between transitions and overlapping (at end of paragraph - "another issue is Y" vs "there are other issues besides X"). Quit using "in conclusion" and "I believe" and other writing-about-my-writing phrases. Confusion between direct/indirect objects and prepositional phrases. Use the UDHR and the Declaration of Independence to study paraphrasing; use that to front-load Machiavelli and how to deal with challenging texts. Confusion between everyday / every day and similar constructions.
    3. E1: Need practice with quoting & paraphrasing sources, identifying claims that would need support, use of last names for reference, and capitalization practice (common/proper nouns, titles). Difficulty using possessive nouns in their own writing. Honors: practice subject/object pronouns (my friend and I / my friend and me). Poetry: Revise "Songs are Poetry" handouts.
    4. Curriculum Development: Writing mini-unit. Review scholarly research on 5PE. (I think I can have this as an intro to the research unit so that they also get exposure to how quotes are integrated and cited.) Parallel structure; use of emotional language, specific detail. Use "Write About a Pebble" lesson from Atwell. How long should each unit take? Do research on characteristics: curiosity, persistence, resilience, creativity, responsibility, optimism, courage, integrity, authenticity, leadership, self-awareness, humility, compassion - others? Include grammarly check on essays! Review assessments. What is the purpose for each unit? What should the controlling ideas be in a study of world literature? Review world lit options. Schedule assessments for Fall 2019; plan out return times. Write 1 reflection weekly; type one in Classroom by Weds. Copy-paste to PB for comments due Friday. PB usernames 6 digits, no 19 or 20s, no birthdates. Homework: Online journal Mon due Tue; Reflection Tue due Wed; C&P journal in class Wed; Comments Thu due Fri. Bonus if you are the first response; further bonus if you respond to comments on your post. Grammar practice Mon & Wed; quiz Fri.
    5. Professional Development: Write blog post weekly. Comment on 3 posts each week -Tu Th Sun? Talk with Z about articles and/or conference proposals. NOTE: ATTENDED PRE FLEX DAY.
    6. Medical: Dentist Apr 30 8 AM but check on meetings and RS. Onco Apr ???. PCP Schedule for July. ObG schedule for October. PCP - allergy shots?
    7. Theater: Mary Poppins Sun Dec 8 1:15. Amen Corner Thu Dec 19 5:45. EGL Fri-Sat 3:30.
    8. House: Mineral oil on tile spots.
    9. Fun: Open beading on Thursdays. Coloring at library on Tuesday. Put jewelry away. Edney Hack Nights alt Weds. ASL? Spanish/Portuguese practice? Practice piano. ROL Secret Adversary. Buy new bikes and bike rack for car.
    10. Volunteering ideas: Theater. Library. Animal shelter. Community Kitchen. Emerge Georgia training.

WFTY: Climbing.
  • TerriRichardson112
    The only failure is giving up!
    DISCARD 5 LBS CHALLENGES:
    #1: - 5; #2: - 5.2; #3: -1.4; #4: -4.8
    DISCARD 5 LBS CHALLENGE 5
    NAME: Terri
    SW: 150.8 (11/11)
    GW: 145.8
    30/11: CW: 149.8: - 1 I’ve been working on strength for several days with a not unexpected effect. It seems I can't build muscle and lose weight at the same time. And I always thought I was good at multi-tasking!!! 😂 But I will keep at it!!!

Daily Goals
    • Food: log All food and drink; stay under goal; balance macros/micros; Hydrate adequately; NLNS!!!
    • Exercise: Knee Physio; 7,500+ Steps daily; 30 + minutes intentional exercise
    • Other: Daily Mindfulness Practice/Meditation; Practice Self-care; Positively reframe thoughts; Learn something new; 15 mins Daily Declutter session; keep up to date with chores

JFT: Sat 30 Nov
    Goals:
    Activities:
    • am: outing with DYD✅
    • work on patchwork

JFT: Sun 1 Dec
    Goals:
    Activities:
    • am: chores
    • 2pm: visit DED and grands

Calorie Goal Challenge ~|~ Start Date: 4 Nov
    (I'm extending this Personal Challenge)
    Stay under goal until Christmas Eve
    Days Under: 26/26

• Snowflake1968
    Bex I have to say for someone still so relatively young you sure have a lot of wisdom.

• Snowflake1968
    I had two crappy craft sales in a row. The economy is so bad right now here and I fear it’s only going to get worse. I am hoping next weekend helps make up for the losses the last two weekends.

I have completely failed at eating and logging this week. It’s going to be a bad week this week coming up too, maybe next week I can get get back at it again.
  • mytime6630
    mytime6630 Posts: 4,181 Member
    edited December 2019
    I feel ashamed and sorry for my last post. Bex ... thank you for your encouraging words. I love you all .. and I am sorry .. I think I let a lot of people down, including myself. This challenge is one day at a time ... that is what I will do as well.

I am going to do that challenge Bex ... yesterday is over,and today I did better. I am focusing on making little bears to go to the cancer center for children. I am going to start sewing xmas projects for my friends at the gym. I will do whatever I can to just keep busy, and not let the seasonal depression hit me again this year like it does in years past.

Today I did OK. I went to the gym twice ... thats what I should have done yesterday instead of grabbing junk stuff. I got out christmas stuff... so everything is decorated. I cleaned the house and finished up all the laundry. I even put on lights in our backyard ... made a christmas tree out of upside down tomato cages. And I made myself a plan for the days I am really down. I have a whole list of things I can turn to. I am making a plan for myself to get by these months. I am going to get to my goal of 178 this year!

• mytime6630
    mytime6630 Posts: 4,181 Member
    I had two crappy craft sales in a row. The economy is so bad right now here and I fear it’s only going to get worse. I am hoping next weekend helps make up for the losses the last two weekends.

I have completely failed at eating and logging this week. It’s going to be a bad week this week coming up too, maybe next week I can get get back at it again.

I am so sorry ... that has to be so hard to work so hard to prepare things for a craft sale and not get the sales. This is one of the reasons why I don't do craft sales. Many people have told me to do it, but it is so much work. I hope that your next sale is a huge success. It could be that since this was thanksgiving weekend, that a lot of people are not in the "shopping" mood, especially with it being black friday sales. Hopefully next weekend will be better for you.
  • Bex953172
    Bex I have to say for someone still so relatively young you sure have a lot of wisdom.

Haha you think so? I've always been like this. I was always the person to sort people's $h!t out lmao!
  • TerriRichardson112
    @Bex953172 You have great skills for which we are thankful. Keep doing what you do, and being who you are.
    @mytime6630 Wonderful start. One day at a time, right? And you're still here, so you haven't let anyone down, least of all, us. We all need advice from time to time. It's what we do with the advice that counts.
    @Snowflake1968 Sorry you had disappointing sales. I don't think people realise the time taken to make hand crafted goods.
  • TerriRichardson112
    edited December 2019
    Friday November 29th

Another day of not posting and I’m probably in the red again - I’ve not logged yet! I have made about 100 sugar snowflakes for my Christmas cake and I did meet my Fitbit exercise goals.

It's difficult finding the time to post at this busy time of the year. I've missed a few days myself because I was just too whacked at the end of the day. Would love to see a picture of the cake when it's finished.

@clicketykeys I always inspired by your dedication to improving your teaching to enrich the learning experience of your students. They are so lucky to have you in their lives.

My weight loss has stalled a little as I've focused on strength training over the past week or so, and am concentrating on getting a little more protein into my diet. The upside is that my muscle %age has increased and BF %age has reduced, so I'm happy to continue with that focus for now.

Next couple of weeks are choc-a-bloc in the run up to Christmas, and I will have to make a conscious effort to not get sucked into my general overindulgence scenario of past years, and maintain my new habits.
  • TerriRichardson112
    @ZzizyBumble WOW! What a talent!!!