Favorite low-cal “carrier” foods?

2»

Replies

• mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Yum - jicama... I haven’t had any of that in years! I went looking for it a while back but no luck. Celeriac is actually one thing I have never really tried before (that I know of), and i tend to be a bit more adventurous with food (although not as much as my parents because I don’t have the time or food budget for what they make/eat).

I use Jicama tortillas for tacos, fajitas, etc. I'm lucky that my local grocery stores sells them pre-sliced, but you can make your own with a large mandolin slicer.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,547 Member
    edited December 2019
    I use Jicama tortillas for tacos, fajitas, etc. I'm lucky that my local grocery stores sells them pre-sliced, but you can make your own with a large mandolin slicer.

So talk to me @mom23mangos because the other day I was staring at this HUGE (and somewhat ugly looking) vegetable in my <national brand chain> store's produce aisle. Do you just slice and oven bake? Slice and deep fry <which might be more Calories than I am willing to spend>? Boil, mash+process, and then bake into chips? Eat raw? Dehydrate? What's the procedure here?!?!?! :smiley: Is it worth experimenting with Jicama during my next mad scientist session... or should I just continue my quest for a relatively low calories for what you get chocolate based healthy meal replacement desert like concoction based on sweet potatoes, or probably on mango or pumpkin next time I play based on my current stock of cans in pantry!?!?!?! :blush:
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Baked Cheetos

Toasted cheezits

Apples 🍎 sliced

Granola y nuts

Toast plain or jelly wheat 🌾

A few others but minds gone blank lol
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    PAV8888 wrote: »

So talk to me @mom23mangos because the other day I was staring at this HUGE (and somewhat ugly looking) vegetable in my <national brand chain> store's produce aisle. Do you just slice and oven bake? Slice and deep fry <which might be more Calories than I am willing to spend>? Boil, mash+process, and then bake into chips? Eat raw? Dehydrate? What's the procedure here?!?!?! :smiley: Is it worth experimenting with Jicama during my next mad scientist session... or should I just continue my quest for a relatively low calories for what you get chocolate based healthy meal replacement desert like concoction based on sweet potatoes, or probably on mango or pumpkin next time I play based on my current stock of cans in pantry!?!?!?! :blush:

Raw, dude. Raw. ;)
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Raw, dude. Raw. ;)

Exactly. Simple and easy. o:)
  • PAV8888
    My budget (and fingers) may end up not liking you two if I either end up wasting a Jicama, or pull a mandolin accident!!!! :fearful:
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    My budget (and fingers) may end up not liking you two if I either end up wasting a Jicama, or pull a mandolin accident!!!! :fearful:

Can't waste 'em. If pieces break up, just eat. Crunchy!
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    edited December 2019

Get some cut proof gloves, for serious. If I hadn’t been wearing mine today while slicing daikon on the mandolin I would have taken the base of my palm clean off!

Also: daikon makes a great carrier.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member

Off topic but I’m really interested in pumpkin chocolate dessert-like concoctions!
  • PAV8888
    Haven't tried a pumpkin choco or mango choco (hence the *new* experimental aspect!) Couple of years back was trying various "start from brownie" and substitute apple sauce and add <various>

The goal being: can hand carry, bite in it, tastes good, is filling, doesn't kill calorie budget

Sweet potato came out quite good and had I managed to progress past hand mashing to totally lump free would have worked quite well for feeding others!

Now to find the approximate ratios based and the recipe somewhere in my MFP recipes or meals!!!! :wink:

Will seriously have to look into the cut resistant gloves. I stopped using mandolins due to my propensity to need bandaids or waste half the item!