Protein shake without sucralose or stevia?

13»

Replies

• Bookworm1860
    Bookworm1860 Posts: 54 Member
    Blue Bonnet's "original" flavor has vanilla but no sweeteners. Bob's Red Mill whey, which I can pick up in local grocery stores, has no sweeteners.
  • chergal2
    chergal2 Posts: 10 Member
    tungsten93 wrote: »
    The title says it all. I'm having a hard time meeting my protein goals and would like to supplement with a shake that doesn't contain sucralose (Splenda) or stevia.

I went to The Vitamin Shoppe and the woman there was useless. From doing some online research it looks like Optimum Nutrition has a "natural" line that doesn't contain these ingredients but I'd like some other recommendations as well. Comments on taste/texture would also be very welcome.

I've tried Isagenix and while it tasted pretty good I'd rather buy something locally than have to use mail order.

Thanks for you help!

I drink Premier Protein. It is 30g of protein and 160 calories. This is my breakfast every morning. I love it. The only place I have been able to find it is Cosco. It comes in vanilla or chocolate.
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Walmart carries Premier shakes. Want to try their powder. Artifical sugars.....any kind,is a migrane trigger for me.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Integrated Supplements whey protein is sweetened with monkfruit and I like it. I’m not a huge fan of Splenda and I hate the taste of stevia with the fire of a thousand suns and that one tastes fine to me. ON gold standard whey is also fine for me, I can’t remember the sweetener.

This is what I used. I had no idea it was sweetened with monk fruit (who knew lo han fruit was monk fruit). I also use monk fruit sweetener in my coffee. DH uses stevia, I can't stand it. It is so overtly sweet. Also DH puts a crap ton in his coffee. But yeah, I'm really happy with my monk fruit sweetener in my coffee. Turns out it's in my protein too.
  • This has been an interesting read. As a busy working momma of 2, finding something I can grab and go with is VERY important. So “just blend it with...” is not going to answer my coming question. I have several problems in addition to no Sucralose (not going to use artificial) and no stevia (HIGHLY allergic to stevia)...

I also have sensitivities to pea, soy, and an allergy to the commonly used for blending, banana.

Are there ANY flavored meal replacements available that I can eat? Surely I’m not the only person with this problem.
  • jwoolman5
    jwoolman5 Posts: 191 Member
    I hate stevia and artificial sweeteners also, although if the product contains enough cane sugar or fruit juice or sugar alcohols (no problem with xylitol and erithrytol), it masks the stevia or sucralose for me. Apparently a certain percentage of the population can't stand the taste of stevia.

You might look at Lifetime's Life's Basics line - it's a vegan protein powder with the same amino acid profile as egg. The unsweetened vanilla is made from rice protein, pea protein, hemp seed, chia seed, and vanilla. The chia seed makes it taste a little sweet when mixed in just water. I typically blended it with a banana, cinnamon, and almond milk. Anyway, unsweetened protein powders in general might be helpful for you since you can always add your own sweetener or fruit.
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    This has been an interesting read. As a busy working momma of 2, finding something I can grab and go with is VERY important. So “just blend it with...” is not going to answer my coming question. I have several problems in addition to no Sucralose (not going to use artificial) and no stevia (HIGHLY allergic to stevia)...

I also have sensitivities to pea, soy, and an allergy to the commonly used for blending, banana.

Are there ANY flavored meal replacements available that I can eat? Surely I’m not the only person with this problem.

This is a tough combo.

Not a flavored one, but Dr Forest Raw Organic is made with hemp, pumpkin seed, milk thistle seed, and guar gum. Would that work for you? I use it occasionally in smoothies and oatmeal, but I wouldn't drink it plain or try to mix it in a shaker.

Frozen riced cauliflower gives a similar consistency to smoothies as banana. A little avocado (20-25 grams) makes it even better.

I can't have stevia which decimates my lactobacillus, but I don't mind Splenda and NutraSweet. The only "artificial" ingredient I have to avoid due to allergies is red#40.
  • jwoolman5
    You could try getting protein components of common protein blends separately and make up your own mix after some experimenting for taste. I know pea protein can be obtain separately, so I assume others can also.

Ground seeds can be used to round things out. Pumpkin seeds are very high protein, for example, as well as hemp and chia. That way you could avoid the ubiquitous pea protein. Chia seed is a good thickener, by the way.

I would look on YouTube and the web for homemade protein blends or powders etc. I saw one YouTube video long ago that gave a recipe for a do-it-yourself vegan one, for example.
  • jwoolman5
    By the way, you could freeze pieces of avocado if you figure out how much works as a thickener for you. Just mash with lemon juice and freeze in plastic wrap or bags. Sliced fruit for sweetener can be portioned that way in the freezer as well. You can freeze different fruits and veg in the same bag if you want to just toss them all into a smoothie. Likewise with nuts or seeds. Make it easy on yourself.

Also there are small containers sold that could be used to make up portions of those for handy adding. I have 1oz and 2oz containers sold for people making their own baby food. I use the Oxo 2oz for pricey nondairy ice cream.
  • nickpriddy
    nickpriddy Posts: 1 Member
    GNC has Isopure Whey protein powder. It has no additives except soy lecithin.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    edited May 2022
    OWYN protein shakes are free of the to 8 allergens. I drink them because I'm dairy free.

They sweeten with monk fruit (and maybe a small amount of sugar).

Edit: They have pea. Nevermind.

I used some integrated supplements pure protein which was sweetened with monk fruit and has very few ingredients, it's dairy so I don't use it anymore but it's really low ingredient.
  • paints5555
    paints5555 Posts: 1,228 Member
    edited May 2022
    I am fortunate to have access to WPC and MPC (both 80%) by the lb. Very easy to make a smoothie of choice and just add one of those.