Keto Questions

Hey Everyone!

I've been on MFP before and have been working out and eating healthy since Feb 2018 with a goal to lose weight, and it's working. I'm down over 50 lbs since the start of the year.

I'm currently healing a broken foot which I'm on my 3rd week of healing and looking to change things up to drop some weight quicker.

I started with weight-loss journey with some friends and they took the Keto route, I went under 2,000 calories a day route fasting 16:8, and the difference is incredible. They lost a person in weight and are looking great.

I'm looking to switch to a Keto diet, but I had some questions I was hoping the MFP community might be able to answer..

Anyone else done an OMAD Keto?

After dropping the weight, Has anyone switched off keto to something different like a modified keto, calorie based meal plan and fasting, ect?

My biggest concern is dropping the weight doing Keto and then slowly gaining it back. I have never attempted this, my friends are doing great, Just looking for some outside of the group of friends feedback.

Thanks!

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,372 MFP Moderator
    Hey Everyone!

I've been on MFP before and have been working out and eating healthy since Feb 2018 with a goal to lose weight, and it's working. I'm down over 50 lbs since the start of the year.

I'm currently healing a broken foot which I'm on my 3rd week of healing and looking to change things up to drop some weight quicker.

I started with weight-loss journey with some friends and they took the Keto route, I went under 2,000 calories a day route fasting 16:8, and the difference is incredible. They lost a person in weight and are looking great.

I'm looking to switch to a Keto diet, but I had some questions I was hoping the MFP community might be able to answer..

Anyone else done an OMAD Keto?

After dropping the weight, Has anyone switched off keto to something different like a modified keto, calorie based meal plan and fasting, ect?

My biggest concern is dropping the weight doing Keto and then slowly gaining it back. I have never attempted this, my friends are doing great, Just looking for some outside of the group of friends feedback.

Thanks!

I am doing Keto for my current cut. It has helped a lot with craving issues that i was never able to address through moderation. But i personally wouldn't do OMAD as the amount of protein a person usually needs is hard to get within that window. Once i get through my cutting phase, i will probably go low carb or TKD for bulking.

If you go keto and then come off, expect some weight gain if you add carbs. Its glycogen replenishment and increases in water from increased insulin levels (3-5 lbs).

If you want to be a part of the challenge, its cool, just make sure it's something you believe you can stick with. Worst case, you find an eating style that you aren't compatable with.
  • PatrickMaryAlice
    PatrickMaryAlice Posts: 11 Member
    My mom and I both live a keto lifestyle. Well, her not so much now. She was on the keto diet when she lost all her weight, went from a size 16 to a size 4. She eats normal for the most part now, lots of carbs in her diet. She hasn't gained any of her weight back....
  • Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply.

I'm still up in the air if I want to go all out and try it for a few months or not. The 2000 calorie diet and my workout routine is working, but the results my buddies got from the fat loss alone is what is pushing me to give it a try. Im still not sold on the idea and I am reading as much as i can to help me decide.

Right now im eating maybe 1500 calories as I have a broken foot and I havent been able to walk up the flight of stairs to get to the gym. Friday I'm heading to the hospital top get xrays to make sure the foot has healed and hoping to get back into the gym.

One thing I read was slowly changing the diet over to fat heavy keto with a 12:12 then 16:8 fasting window. I dont think it will matter, either way its going to effect my body one way or another.

All my fat is stored in my belly. Thats the goal to loose.. lol

Again, thanks everyone. I will continue with my research and figure out some meal plans.

OH! If im on a 2000 calorie diet now, should the keto diet be the same? ive heard and read its sometimes lower!? Thoughts?
  • psuLemon
    Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply.

I'm still up in the air if I want to go all out and try it for a few months or not. The 2000 calorie diet and my workout routine is working, but the results my buddies got from the fat loss alone is what is pushing me to give it a try. Im still not sold on the idea and I am reading as much as i can to help me decide.

Right now im eating maybe 1500 calories as I have a broken foot and I havent been able to walk up the flight of stairs to get to the gym. Friday I'm heading to the hospital top get xrays to make sure the foot has healed and hoping to get back into the gym.

One thing I read was slowly changing the diet over to fat heavy keto with a 12:12 then 16:8 fasting window. I dont think it will matter, either way its going to effect my body one way or another.

All my fat is stored in my belly. Thats the goal to loose.. lol

Again, thanks everyone. I will continue with my research and figure out some meal plans.

OH! If im on a 2000 calorie diet now, should the keto diet be the same? ive heard and read its sometimes lower!? Thoughts?

I would highly recommend eating around maintenance while healing an injury. You will need to calories.

Next, the calories would be the same for both diets. Also, meal timing and frequency doesn't really have an impact on fat loss. For some less meals = calorie control.

And fat loss isn't faster on keto. This has been demonstrated in many long term studies. In short term studies or ad libitum studies it shows that keto shows more weight loss. Often this is because keto can naturally suppress appetites and there is often an increase in protein.
  • TimothyPhoenix
    TimothyPhoenix Posts: 79 Member
    I am just starting Keto myself and made a similar post. Seems like there are a fair amount of people who aren't buying the hype with Keto. Too many people are getting tremendous results to ignore it and the best part of it is you will never be hungry.
  • psuLemon
    I am just starting Keto myself and made a similar post. Seems like there are a fair amount of people who aren't buying the hype with Keto. Too many people are getting tremendous results to ignore it and the best part of it is you will never be hungry.

It's certainly true that you don't need keto to get tremendous results. But that doesn't mean that "you" will. It comes down to what a person can adhere to. If they can't adhere to keto, than it's a bad choice. But if it helps them with adherence and staying away from foods, that make them binge, than it's a good strategy to follow. Unfortunately, we all spend too much time evaluating what others do and their successes, rather than figuring out a strategy that we believe we can follow.
  • Dontkillbill
    Dontkillbill Posts: 15 Member
    I have been Keto or close to it since April. Lately I eat a banana before a CrossFit class and protein shake with some carbs right after to help recover. Seems to be working. Keto has helped me get off of blood sugar meds and kept cravings down. Down 67 pounds. In January or February I am going to do a paleo experiment and add a few carbs and see how it works as I get gassed out working out for more than 30 minutes.
  • LRRE
    LRRE Posts: 7 Member
    I have been doing keto fir the first time for about five weeks. It took me about 3+ weeks to get the hang of it. In fact I gained 2 lbs at the outset bc I was eating too many calories getting the macros right. Now tho it’s starting to pay off. It’s not that I think I’ll lose weight faster. It’s the almost total lack of cravings. The better sleep at night w no late night snacking. Higher energy (after keto flu Period). I don’t have a ton of weight to lose- maybe 15 lbs which means my total net calorie intake is about 1200 per day. The closer I keep to that the harder keto is to manage bc any little slip oh as a big effect. But generally I really like the overall diet and plan. I feel more stable overall. I am not worried about the weight gain after. I assume I will go back to a very low carb diet and continue to exercise.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Things to know about keto:

Ketosis is not necessary for fat loss.

It's still a calorie controlled diet.

Protein will always be the primary macro to focus on in any diet, more so on keto.

Don't fall for simple phrases such as fruit causing obesity (no, they don't) or that fat doesn't make you fat (yes, it can)... only a calorie surplus causes fat gain.

OMAD is preferential to your eating habits.

Rebound weight gain is a concern on any diet, not just keto.

Whatever diet you can adhere to will be the best one for you.
  • Mazintrov13
    Mazintrov13 Posts: 133 Member

The never be hungry part was not true for me when I tried keto. I found it impossible to stick to my target calories because of the tiny portions as fat is so much higher in cals than carbs and protein. I was already small and my target cals were 1500-1700 though so it may be easier for larger people with more to lose. I am also a volume eater who needs moderate amounts of fats and high protein to stay satiated. I think hunger levels are a very individual thing.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,937 Member
    While I'm playing around in my PubMed library, some additional study info.
    A well controlled peer reviewed study of 811 subjects in 4 groups with various macronutrient compositions.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2763382/?fbclid=IwAR1DFikPeiksul4Px_xeejVyrzqg-fyxUC-BlOm7GpJdlvj04JCl4fiJXo8
    Conclusion: Reduced-calorie diets result in clinically meaningful weight loss regardless of which macronutrients they emphasize.
  • candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    I will have chicken, beef, or lamb, with some veggies like brussell sprouts, broccoli, and a salad. I'm make sure to 1 tsp. of cheese and some nuts (2-3 oz).
  • Thanks again for all the information. It is a huge help.

I've heard both sides of the Keto diet, the good and bad. That is works and doesnt.

I think for now I will stick with what I am currently doing especially because the holidays are coming up and im sure the family gatherings and out with friends will not be easy to keep on track. Temptations!!!

I might try a 30 day keto in the new year to see how it goes when i know i will be able to stay on it. Give it a show and see how I feel with it.