Menopause and weight loss

Options
First, a little background. I lost almost 120 pounds 6 years ago. I maintained that loss until this last year where I’ve gained 25 back. This was of course due to over eating although I have maintained logging throughout. I started seriously trying to lose this about a month ago. I eat between 1200 and 1300 and am lightly active. So far no loss or gain. I am either menopausal or post menopausal. I will just keep plugging along, I figure it’s got to move eventually, but Geez lol. I hear Lot about hormones and it’s possible effect Is this truly a thing or not? I know the scale fluctuates and I only weigh once a week but dang!!

Replies

• mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I do weigh and measure and have a digital scale. Plus after doing this for so many years I'm pretty good at knowing portions, but I also know I could be just a little off and it could detail me some. Thanks for your imput :)
  • mamadon
    Options
    I've never liked to weigh every day because the fluctuations drive me crazy. I've been weighing myself every Friday at the same time of day for years now, so it should be pretty accurate
  • mamadon
    Options
    Thanks, all for your replies and help. I am 57 years old, but due to some other medical stuff I have had a period except for very occasionally for over 20 years, so unless I go get tested I don't know for sure. I have had hot flashes that are winding down, so I'm assuming here, that I'm finishing up menopause. I have never paid much attention to my salt intake Jaybirdaz , so that could be part of my problem.
  • mamadon
    Options
    I am finding similar, although my gain was 'just' 5lbs - my background is previously for the last 6 years maintaining pretty effortlessly within my goal range, but back in the summer without changing anything the weight gain was reality and happened over the space of two months, (there was a cruise but there are always cruises for us, and I always get back to normal weight range in no time). Since August I have been back eating at calorie deficit, weighing and measuring - cut out a snack each day and upped my activity... am still seeing my range 1 to 2lbs outside my goal range. I really think hormones are at play (I turned 50 this year) but we know what to do, if we keep eating at deficit, we will get rewarded...eventually, its science. My reality is 1lb loss since August! wonderful eh!

Actually, We did just go on a cruise in October lol.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Have you had your thyroid checked lately? That can slow down weight loss. So can certain medications. Talk to your doctor.
  • mamadon
    Options
    BJM0970 wrote: »
    I am premenopausal/menopausal. I started exercising more and logging over a year ago around the same time as my symptoms. I have been successful at weight loss and I do fluctuate sometimes but know the reasons why. Besides calorie counting I believe macros are very important. Eating more protein with consistent exercise has been most effective. I have also found that weight training does more for me than cardio. No heavy weight body building stuff but arms and legs with an routines. I run but not on a regular schedule but do feel a difference when I do. I would look at your macros and also supplement vitamins if necessary. Also try doing weight training if you aren't already.

Thank you, I don't really pay attention to my macros, but know I tend to go carb heavy, so I'll take a look.
  • mamadon
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    I've been guilty of I've been doing this logging thing a long time.. and the solution is to pretend you haven't!

Let's get the weight out if the way... weight trend applications exist to smooth out daily fluctuations if that's what's holding you back.

But, change your logging.

Start from the "nothing is getting into my mouth unless it is already weighed in addition to being measured and recorded" viewpoint.

Can you exclude eating out or with friends? Of course, though the more meals you exclude the more potential error you introduce.

But there is no reason (when having apparent lack of success with what appears to be reasonable goals) to not take a couple of extra few minutes when at home.

Nothing goes in mouth before being recorded... tastes, bites, sips, snacks, single mint, spray of oil in the pan... gets recorded by weight in addition to measurement and large discrepancies between volume and weight expectations get looked into.

A double check of MFP entries being used is never a terrible idea!
    I am pretty good about logging everything, and I don't eat out too often, but I try to be as accurate as possible For example I ate out last night, the calories were listed on the menu for my item so I quick added it. the reality of course is that is can still be quite a bit off. I only eat out occasionally though, and maybe I do need to tighten things up.
  • mamadon
    Options
    leejoyce31 wrote: »
    I think this is different for each woman. Some of the perimenopausal issues that I experienced in 2017-2018 were unheard of by any women in my life (i.e. families, friends and some doctors). Many of them believed that it had to be something else. I persisted and advocated for my own health and located a young female gynecologist that focused on menopause and perimenopause. I had a list of all of my symptoms and without telling her what my thoughts were, she confirmed that each one was related to hormonal changes. I can attest that if hormones can cause the myriad of issues that I encountered, including triggering an autoimmune disorder, it can definitely cause the body to retain and store fat despite our efforts otherwise. When I was going through all of my issues, I prayed for someone to say 3 words to me, but to no avail. So, I will pay it forward to you with those 3 words... I believe you.

I'm not saying that hormones is an excuse to give up trying, but I am saying that it can be a reason that you are struggling. There is a difference between excuse and reason. So, just because someone else had no problems losing weight during this time in life, does not mean that you won't.

My hormonal issues were addressed and pretty much all of my prior issues have been corrected. Next week I will celebrate 1 year of healing.

So, don't be discouraged and doubt yourself just because others have not had a similar experience. Be your own advocate. Keep making healthy choices and doing the right things for your health and slowly results will follow.

Be encouraged. :)

Thank you! I am definitely not trying to use this as an excuse I just wanted to be informed and you and everyone else have been very helpful.