CHINA STUDY

Options
KBGirts
KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
Has anyone read the china study? What did you think?

Replies

• Drastiic
    Drastiic Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I haven't read the book, but I watched the movie 'Forks Over Knives' on Netflix, and they mentioned that study. It was interesting to say the least.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    Julbarr wrote: »
    I’m reading The China Study now (Dec. 2019). It was recommended to me by a nutrition / health & fitness expert & my dietician. Very persuasive evidence to go WFPB. (Whole Food Plant Based). Disturbing facts about how the “nutrition experts” sold out to big corporate dairy & meat councils & have actively been deceiving the public about cancer, heart disease, diabetes, and other western diseases of affluence.

I recently dropped The keto diet after 2 years. In the last 2 months of being mostly WFPB, I’ve regained my sleep and no longer have restless leg syndrome. Super huge for me as I’ve had insomnia for years.

Another great movie besides “Forks Over Knives” is “The Game changers” available on Netflix. Must watch!!

Nope.
    Eating more plants... nothing wrong with that. No one is going to disagree you with you here. But those documentaries and "study" being educational? Yea.......... Nope.

Rever! Lol
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    KBGirts wrote: »
    Has anyone read the china study? What did you think?

The biggest problem with 'The China Study' is that the author cherry-picked the data that he used in the book (throwing out all of the data that didn't support his WFPB conclusion). There are several reports on the webs that show that when you actually include ALL of the data that he collected, the results do not support the conclusions written in the book.

Also, the reason that the author self-published the results of his 'study' was that he couldn't get it past any of the major peer-reviewed publishers (which should tell you a whole lot about the work).

Self-published science...
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    I gave it a try and didn't see any benefits, but I was already eating a basically whole foods nutrition-conscious diet at the time. I felt fine eating that way, but not better than when I'm eating well and including some fish, other meat, eggs, and dairy.

For weight loss I personally found that I ate somewhat more meat than usual since I find it really filling for the cals. (I also ate lots of veg, etc.)
  • lovejulez03
    lovejulez03 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I haven't bought it yet as im reading dr barnard and plan to read dr Mcdougall next. Heres what i know..from using common sense. There will always be a study for or against something. Always. Past, present or both. People will use every trick in the book. And i cant speak for everyone however i have yet to talk to someone who honestly gave it a try and didnt see any benefits. I also know that i am morbidly obese, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, diabetic..aka: walking, talking death time bomb. I started in july, with a few slip ups with cheese and chocolate and vegan junk food. I am almost at 50 lbs lost, my cholesterol is still high but dropped to 202, my triglycerides were EXTREME and dropped over 200 pts, my fatigue rarely hits, depression is markedly improved, and my a1c went from 9.7 to 6.3 and i have stopped my metformin and insulin and i am only on one medication right now. The truth is, i thought i had done my research, but i hadnt. All im saying is you dont realize how sick you are or ( if you're not sick) how much better you feel until you eat what you were meant to eat and then eat junk. The detox lessens quickly for many..the cravings, headaches, whatever it is..lessen. plenty of peer reviewed studies and data out there to search. And plenty of evidence its correct. 💜thats my 2 cents.

Gave exactly what a try? Eating whole foods plant-based?

I was mostly vegetarian for three years when I lived at vegetarian yoga centers and got dangerously anemic.

I was mostly plant-based for 6 weeks in Costa Rica and while I did lose weight, that was because I was eating much more low calorie dense foods than I usually do, my food options were severely limited, and I was active.

I could easily construct a plant-based way of eating for people looking to gain weight.

Im sorry that you had that bad experience. I can understand your apprehension. I believe that those that eat meat (especially those that have troed wfpb and went back to meat) can be open minded enough to understand why others find it beneficial. I grew up vegetarian, stopped at age 17, and now at 34 have went wfpb.
  • lovejulez03
    lovejulez03 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    I gave it a try and didn't see any benefits, but I was already eating a basically whole foods nutrition-conscious diet at the time. I felt fine eating that way, but not better than when I'm eating well and including some fish, other meat, eggs, and dairy.

For weight loss I personally found that I ate somewhat more meat than usual since I find it really filling for the cals. (I also ate lots of veg, etc.)

I'm sorry you've also had bad experiences. Everyone has their own opinion and experiences.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I haven't bought it yet as im reading dr barnard and plan to read dr Mcdougall next. Heres what i know..from using common sense. There will always be a study for or against something. Always. Past, present or both. People will use every trick in the book. And i cant speak for everyone however i have yet to talk to someone who honestly gave it a try and didnt see any benefits. I also know that i am morbidly obese, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, diabetic..aka: walking, talking death time bomb. I started in july, with a few slip ups with cheese and chocolate and vegan junk food. I am almost at 50 lbs lost, my cholesterol is still high but dropped to 202, my triglycerides were EXTREME and dropped over 200 pts, my fatigue rarely hits, depression is markedly improved, and my a1c went from 9.7 to 6.3 and i have stopped my metformin and insulin and i am only on one medication right now. The truth is, i thought i had done my research, but i hadnt. All im saying is you dont realize how sick you are or ( if you're not sick) how much better you feel until you eat what you were meant to eat and then eat junk. The detox lessens quickly for many..the cravings, headaches, whatever it is..lessen. plenty of peer reviewed studies and data out there to search. And plenty of evidence its correct. 💜thats my 2 cents.

And that's why a single study is NEVER used to form a theory in real science. That only happens in the evening news and when someone wants to sell you their version of the truth. It is also a common response when others point out the flaws in someone's belief.

Congrats on your progress. I hope you can keep this up for life (that's the goal, not some BS fad diet to lose 50 pounds).