Overcoming plateau

Options
Hello! I have been on my weight loss journey for about 10 months and I have lost 32 pounds. I started at 189 and I am now 157. However, I have been plateaued for an entire month. My weight fluctuates between 157 and 158 every day and I cannot seem to get any lower than that. I weigh all my food and track everything. I also do Beach Body on Demand workouts (80 Day Obsession) 6 days a week - this program combines cardio and strength/weight training. I do not always drink enough water, but I am working on that as well. MyFitnesspal started me at 1200 calories a day, but I recently readjusted it to be closer to 1400 because I read that that might help. How can I get out of this plateau?

Replies

• jhanleybrown
    jhanleybrown Posts: 240 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    A month long plateau is a bit long. Like other poster, I'd check your numbers. I had a plateau that long when I incorporated new forms of exercise in my routine and used MFP estimates for calorie burn (which IMO are extremely high at least for exercise I do...). Went though 6 weeks of logging everything and no movement. It was extremely frustrating. Once i found accurate estimates for exercise, the process started to work as expected.

On the food side it tends to be more user error (under estimating how much you actually ate, not measuring etc.).

I seem to periodically plateau for 1-2 weeks. And i think that's water or weeks where my food entries are inaccurate (restaurants etc...).

But if it's a month, it's worth double checking food accuracy and if you exercise a lot, dont use MFP estimates, research more accurate formulas.

Generally plateaus just take patience. But if it's a month, I'd review above.
  • ashleylarkin15
    ashleylarkin15 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your responses! A couple of people asked if I am eating back the calories burned from exercise. I do not log my exercise into MFP because I have been told that the app overestimates how much you burn. So I just do not put it in at all. So i only eat the 1340 calories that MFP tells me to.
  • ashleylarkin15
    ashleylarkin15 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Do you say that I should eat half of my estimated exercise calories because i am not eating enough by not inputting them?
  • kgonsman1
    kgonsman1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am in a similar boat - Have not lost in over a month. I am starting to wonder if I am not meant to lose anymore weight. I mean, how do you know when you are done?!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,658 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Zedeff wrote: »
    The solution to “I’m not losing weight” is absolutely NOT “eat more”. The entire premise of this website is “calories in versus calories out”. How could increasing intake ever result in more net losses?

One way is that a person becomes more active in everyday activities on more calories. Eating very low calories can make a person subconsciously conserve energy by moving less and becoming very efficient. Whether this would actually lead to greater weight loss on more calories is debatable, but many people report this effect particularly when they had been greatly undereating before.

It's certainly true that there are levels of intake at which lassitude, fatigue, and adaptive thermogenesis will slow weight loss, through down-regulated activity both visible and subtle. Food really is fuel, after all, and research suggests there are limits on fat metabolism.

That's not the same thing at all as the myth that you can eat so little that your body will "hold onto all your fat" and "refuse to lose weight". If this idea were true, no on would ever starve to death, and sadly many people do so daily worldwide. If you severely undereat, your body will slow things down to stave off death. You'll lose weight, but more slowly than you might expect. You don't want to approach those intake levels.

The implication, IMO, is that most people probably have some ideal weight-loss calorie zone where they're eating enough to maintain a decent energy level, but little enough that they continue to lose weight. AFAIK, there's no formula for that.

Sure there is a formula. Try to avoid extremes and attempt to minimize, as opposed to court, side effects!
  • Dove0804
    Dove0804 Posts: 213 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    First of all, eating more is never going to help lose more weight. In this case I think 1400 is still more than a reasonable goal, though, so I won't encourage you to go lower than that.

Are you counting calories from your workouts? Most people drastically overestimate how many calories they are actually burning when exercising.
    Edit: sorry, I see you already answered this question.

Another thing to keep in mind as you near a heathy weight range is that weight loss will go slower and slower as you have less margin of error to create a deficit. One off day can wipe out your week's deficit easily.

If you are 100% confident that you are weighing everything, then the best advice I have is to hang in there. Keep at it, and the scale will budge eventually. You can do it!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,200 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    The solution to “I’m not losing weight” is absolutely NOT “eat more”. The entire premise of this website is “calories in versus calories out”. How could increasing intake ever result in more net losses?

One way is that a person becomes more active in everyday activities on more calories. Eating very low calories can make a person subconsciously conserve energy by moving less and becoming very efficient. Whether this would actually lead to greater weight loss on more calories is debatable, but many people report this effect particularly when they had been greatly undereating before.

It's certainly true that there are levels of intake at which lassitude, fatigue, and adaptive thermogenesis will slow weight loss, through down-regulated activity both visible and subtle. Food really is fuel, after all, and research suggests there are limits on fat metabolism.

That's not the same thing at all as the myth that you can eat so little that your body will "hold onto all your fat" and "refuse to lose weight". If this idea were true, no on would ever starve to death, and sadly many people do so daily worldwide. If you severely undereat, your body will slow things down to stave off death. You'll lose weight, but more slowly than you might expect. You don't want to approach those intake levels.

The implication, IMO, is that most people probably have some ideal weight-loss calorie zone where they're eating enough to maintain a decent energy level, but little enough that they continue to lose weight. AFAIK, there's no formula for that.

Sure there is a formula. Try to avoid extremes and attempt to minimize, as opposed to court, side effects!

Hey, PAV: Could you
    PAV8888 wrote: »

Hey, PAV, guru of this technology that you are: Could you please put that formula into a spreadsheet for me?

Thanks bunches!

(Or, you could set up a website and sell it for millions. Millions!)

:wink: :lol:
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,658 Member
    Options
    One post at a time so MFP can sell ads! 🙈😹
  • pageohana6
    pageohana6 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Perhaps set your goal to lose 1/2 pd a week. Slow and steady wins the race...plus u get more calories.

Also remember the scale isn’t the only measurement of loss. You could have lost inches and not see that on the scale.

Beginning of Nov, I dropped 3 pds which seemed like outta no where. Guess it was my whoosh. But for the rest of the month I didn’t lose anything or so I thought. I stuck to my calories for the most part as well as excercised when I could. I told myself just trust the process. The weight will drop again. Sure enough the first week in Dec, I dropped another pound over night.

Just keep on keepin on...and TRUST THE PROCESS.
    U got this!