• rahimlj
    rahimlj Posts: 239 Member
    alexmose wrote: »
    6gev048g3bvc.jpeg

Looks good 👌
  • rahimlj
    Protein powder is honestly a sham. Too many sugars and artificial flavoring

Sham; a thing that is not what it is purported to be.

Just because you don't like something doesn't mean it's a sham. Now if you think they're lying about the nutritional value that's another story, but the well-established brands are well-established for a reason; because they're legit.

Very good point.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,388 MFP Moderator
    I can definitely vouche that quality protein powders are so much better. For me, the only two I will touch is PEScience and Quest. These are the ones I have found that cook the best and mix the best in food (like Greek yogurt) and my milkshakes.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member

Just because you don't like something doesn't mean it's a sham. Now if you think they're lying about the nutritional value that's another story, but the well-established brands are well-established for a reason; because they're legit.

So mankind survived without them for millennia, and billions have been blown into advertising because "it's so good for you..." and now mankind NEEDS them because... some of us are using cell phones now? What has so drastically changed during the last 40 years or so that suddenly the chemical industry (beg your pardon: "healthy food providers") have to jump in to safe mankind? Most of those products are for the privileged few - book the next holiday to a third world country and experience for your own mind and body how real poverty looks and feels like, where a loaf of bread feeds a whole family for the day. I am seeing this every single day and yes - there are people out there who do make a difference every single day. I live in South Africa - by choice, not by privilege.

Ummm...it's just a supplement. People supplement a lot of things that they don't otherwise get fully in their diet.
  • flotek72
    flotek72 Posts: 500 Member
    psuLemon wrote: »
    I can definitely vouche that quality protein powders are so much better. For me, the only two I will touch is PEScience and Quest. These are the ones I have found that cook the best and mix the best in food (like Greek yogurt) and my milkshakes.

Yes! I keep coming back to Quest chocolate milkshake flavor and it has never disappointed me in taste and in quality.

When getting a protein powder, make sure it has little to no sugar, and that the amount of protein you are getting in the serving is ~80%. Protein powder will never have 100% protein in it. It needs to be mixed with other ingredients for specific reasons. But you will find that the ones that are ~80% or more are the quality ones.
  • psuLemon
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

So mankind survived without them for millennia, and billions have been blown into advertising because "it's so good for you..." and now mankind NEEDS them because... some of us are using cell phones now? What has so drastically changed during the last 40 years or so that suddenly the chemical industry (beg your pardon: "healthy food providers") have to jump in to safe mankind? Most of those products are for the privileged few - book the next holiday to a third world country and experience for your own mind and body how real poverty looks and feels like, where a loaf of bread feeds a whole family for the day. I am seeing this every single day and yes - there are people out there who do make a difference every single day. I live in South Africa - by choice, not by privilege.

Ummm...it's just a supplement. People supplement a lot of things that they don't otherwise get fully in their diet.

And more importantly, sometimes they are enjoyable.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    rahimlj wrote: »
    I got protein yesterday from Walmart. Yes I decided to be lazy and get a crappier brand than usual. I've had cookies and cream but it was muscle Pharm. This one was six star. It smells a bit off but also tastes slightly funny. Could it have gone bad? Expiry is 2021. Is it bad to keep it? Not sure if anyone else tried this one and if that's how it tastes. Not worth going back to Walmart and returning but just wondering if it's okay to use.

Six star is known as "*kitten* star" it's cheap for a reason. Go ahead and use it up since you don't want to return it.

I like Mutant cause they're Canadian and honestly it tastes the best. Costco has the best value for $ protein ... doesn't taste the greatest but it gets the job done. I usually buy one for flavor as like my dessert and one to get the job done cause it gets expensive.

• jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member

I just discovered something pretty cool. I mix just plain water into my shakes - 25g of protein = about 120 calories. I like a flavor of ON called "double rich chocolate" because it isn't overly sweet and reminds me of the Yoohoo chocolate beverage. Last night I plopped a dollop of Cool Whip into into with the water and omgosh... turned it into something I'd drink just for the taste and experience. Delicious.
  • psuLemon
    jseams1234 wrote: »

I just discovered something pretty cool. I mix just plain water into my shakes - 25g of protein = about 120 calories. I like a flavor of ON called "double rich chocolate" because it isn't overly sweet and reminds me of the Yoohoo chocolate beverage. Last night I plopped a dollop of Cool Whip into into with the water and omgosh... turned it into something I'd drink just for the taste and experience. Delicious.

I do 8oz of almond milk, scoop of protein powder, 1/4 tsp xantham gum, either peanut butter or heavy cream, and ice. And even without the extra fats, it makes a good milkshake.
  • rahimlj
    rahimlj wrote: »
    I got protein yesterday from Walmart. Yes I decided to be lazy and get a crappier brand than usual. I've had cookies and cream but it was muscle Pharm. This one was six star. It smells a bit off but also tastes slightly funny. Could it have gone bad? Expiry is 2021. Is it bad to keep it? Not sure if anyone else tried this one and if that's how it tastes. Not worth going back to Walmart and returning but just wondering if it's okay to use.

Six star is known as "*kitten* star" it's cheap for a reason. Go ahead and use it up since you don't want to return it.

I like Mutant cause they're Canadian and honestly it tastes the best. Costco has the best value for $ protein ... doesn't taste the greatest but it gets the job done. I usually buy one for flavor as like my dessert and one to get the job done cause it gets expensive.

Haha yeah. I got it for convenience and just decided to barely use it after. My favourite is the MP one. I'll try to give the mutant one a try! it sounds good 👌

• PiscesIntuition
    PiscesIntuition Posts: 1,365 Member
    alexmose wrote: »
    6gev048g3bvc.jpeg

This looks delicious!

BTW, I use MRM Veggie Elite Performance Protein Chocolate Mocha.