Gradually cutting back sugar and carbs

Options
fitmek
fitmek Posts: 277 Member
I’ve let myself pick up some really, really bad habits. In that, I’m eating foods all day that most would guess to be really nutritious (think peanuts, almond butter, fruits, whole grains and seed bread, higher protein protein bars, eggs, toast etc) but I’ve gotten used to bigger portions again....AND now I crave something sweet after lunch and dinner every single day. When i say crave, I mean go through the pantry, fridge and freezer till I find something that will satisfy the craving adequately.
I know I can’t cut things like carbs and sugar cold turkey, but what are your favorite healthier snacks that satisfies your sweet tooth? Also how do you change your mindset around food? How do you stop thinking you ‘have’ to have it now?
I do well with plans that are already laid out, so if you know of one of those, I’ll take suggestions on that as well 😊😊

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,735 Member
    Options
    How about more whole fruit?
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,711 Member
    Options
    The only non-carby things I can think of that I have that are sweet are hot or iced tea with stevia or Greek yogurt with cinnamon. Fennel roasted with balsamic vinegar is sweet and delicious. Add a diced microwave apple to that yogurt and it's my favorite dessert. I love frozen berries, especially blueberries, to the point that I don't buy a bag unless I have calories for the whole thing. Winter squash roasted is another of my favorites, especially butternut. Every once and awhile I'll get light ice cream or ice cream bars, I like Enlightened or Chilly Cow brown butter caramel bars, Yasso yogurt bars are pretty good too.

For that "have to have it now" feeling, I'm working on it! I try to delay it by waiting for a certain time to pass. Eating slower so the full feeling comes earlier is something I'm trying to do. I've just started eating with less distractions, it seems to help. I'm trying to be more mindful of hunger cues and what's physical hunger versus emotional. Obviously I don't have any answers, it's something I'm trying to improve too!
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    I like mixing some cacao powder into plain greek yoghurt and adding some strawberries and nuts. No added sugar but it feels like a nice chocolate sweet while full of lots of nutritional goodness.
  • fitmek
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    I like mixing some cacao powder into plain greek yoghurt and adding some strawberries and nuts. No added sugar but it feels like a nice chocolate sweet while full of lots of nutritional goodness.

Ahh, this is a good plan. I'm not a BIG fan of dairy, but maybe I could get used to this just to satisfy a sweet craving!
  • fitmek
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    How about more whole fruit?

I actually eat a lot of blueberries and strawberries throughout the day. I try to eat apples too, but they aren't as convenient for me. I also love going to chick fil a and getting a large fruit cup to snack on all day.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I have to have something sweet after lunch. I've tried to fight the urge, but its no use so I just go with it. I pack 2-3 Hershey Kisses in my lunch, and that does the trick. I also have dessert after dinner. I log and account for everything and am sticking to my calorie goal.

50+ pounds down and am in maintenance right now.
  • helpfit1002
    helpfit1002 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Why not trying to go "cold turkey" haha. I did just the same 8 days ago. Going well so far.

Also, I am on intermittent fasting (eat all my calories before 3PM every day), started at the same time 8 days ago.

I have a theory that I am addicted to sugar. Going "cold turkey" seems to work better so far. I feel myself not thinking as much about cookies or candy as I used to.

Some research would be needed though.