Mindfulness and Eating

Options
Yet again, I face the challenge of addressing my persistent, chronic and powerful pattern of ignoring/dissociating my food intake from the consequences of poor health and gross weight gain. Today, I start the uphill process of eating healthy, eating regularly and eating mindfully. My relationship with food is one fraught with tension, stress, codependence and addiction. I intend to approach this next step in my life with honesty and conviction. But, I could use your help. Would anyone reading this first thread, like to join me on this journey. I start today at 105kg and poor muscle tone, low fitness and fear. No pretending. But...there is always hope. Join me>

Replies

• shel80kg
    shel80kg Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Day 2
    Struggling and wondered how did I become so fat and lost? So many reasons to avoid eating properly. And now, those reasons cannot matter. Food is food.Junk is junk. Time to get real and be responsible. Watch this space!
  • shel80kg
    Options
    I am wondering why you use the word "cringe"? The truth is that although you will probably argue that it is calories first, calories are NOT the same with reference to how the body responds and reacts to the foods which are associated with the calorie. Of course the calorie itself is a term used to describe a unit of energy. However, from a physiological point of view, the vehicle which carries the calorie MUST be considered at many levels in terms of what the metabolic processes and chemical reactions do with the food. Thus, eating healthy is an approriate and useful terms and ought not to be "cringe-worthy". Thanks for your help but your comments really were neither relevant or considerate of the wholistic approach to nutrition and general health.
  • shel80kg
    Options
    Further, I do not agree with "calorie counting" which is one of the leading issues in the realm of eating disorders. A better and more long term approach relates to portions and weights of foods which are required for good health. Reducing sugars as much as possible, increasing protein and be careful with those "foods" which have poor oils, transfatty acids etc... I am sure you would agree.
  • MPDean
    MPDean Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    In the context of the MFP app and this associated forum calorie counting is a tool. When used well the aim (in my mind) is to make explicit the link between food intake and overall health and weight. At the end of the process you should know what works for you.

If you have used calorie counting in a negative way in the past then it may not be the way take control in the future.

Find what works for you and good luck.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    This is a calorie counting app. Not all do it and have had success. The above posters are experienced and have been successful. I follow their advice and concur. You can eat whatever you want, as long as you keep a calorie deficit. How you do that is up to you. Many people on here have become overweight eating "healthy" and "mindfully". No one wants to rain on your parade, but after you've been here for 6 years you see many posts on the subject and some people get so frustrated because things aren't working as they intellectually planned. Wishing you grand success.
  • shel80kg
    Options
    Dear 88olds

I appreciate your willingness to share your story and the amazing story of your weight loss. It sounds like you have truly embraced the best strategies that work for you and there is clearly wisdom in what you write. Thank you for your input and congratulations.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    shel80kg wrote: »
    Further, I do not agree with "calorie counting" which is one of the leading issues in the realm of eating disorders. A better and more long term approach relates to portions and weights of foods which are required for good health. Reducing sugars as much as possible, increasing protein and be careful with those "foods" which have poor oils, transfatty acids etc... I am sure you would agree.

They have disordered thinking.
    to lose weight you must eat less calories than your body burns. that is literally the only way it happens. and to do so, typically monitoring your calorie intake is required.
  • julietire
    julietire Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi Shel80kgs, I am after gaining 28 pounds in 12 months and just printed out 3 photos of my former self. I have achieved lots over the year but I've decided my weight gain effects me so negatively I would like to join you on your journey! I need to change everything I've ever learnt about loosing weight. I've never gotten the whole 'life style' change instead of a loosing weight plan (or DIET!!) Ive done it before but never got the balance right and now I've to start again. Even loosing half the weight I've gained will help so much
  • carolpa1
    carolpa1 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I am pretty much a compulsive overeater. Calorie counting doesnt work because if I want to eat something I don't care if I've already had my calorie count for the day. So mindful eating is working for me. I'm eating less because I only eat when I'm hungry and stop when I'm no longer hungry. I don't eat because the clock says it's mealtime or because someone else is eating. Mostly healthy food, but not always. When I track I see that my calorie count is less, but my eating is not based on that calorie count. Same difference, but a different way of going about it.
  • mbaker566
    Options
    carolpa1 wrote: »
    I am pretty much a compulsive overeater. Calorie counting doesnt work because if I want to eat something I don't care if I've already had my calorie count for the day. So mindful eating is working for me. I'm eating less because I only eat when I'm hungry and stop when I'm no longer hungry. I don't eat because the clock says it's mealtime or because someone else is eating. Mostly healthy food, but not always. When I track I see that my calorie count is less, but my eating is not based on that calorie count. Same difference, but a different way of going about it.

but it does work.
    you don't work it. just because you don't eat according to your calorie count, doesn't mean the calorie counting doesn't work.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    I am wondering why you use the word "cringe"? The truth is that although you will probably argue that it is calories first, calories are NOT the same with reference to how the body responds and reacts to the foods which are associated with the calorie. Of course the calorie itself is a term used to describe a unit of energy. However, from a physiological point of view, the vehicle which carries the calorie MUST be considered at many levels in terms of what the metabolic processes and chemical reactions do with the food. Thus, eating healthy is an approriate and useful terms and ought not to be "cringe-worthy". Thanks for your help but your comments really were neither relevant or considerate of the wholistic approach to nutrition and general health.

There are different mechanisms for how certain macros are processed by the body. They should not be the focus of a person trying to lose weight and especially if that person says they have a bad relationship with food.

When you strip everything away it comes back to a simple energy balance. If you burn more than you eat your body will use stored energy to make up the demand. Worrying about the thermic effect of food or anything else the internet wants us to worry about adds requirements to the equation that may make the process of losing weight even harder than it needs to be. Harder is less sustainable.

If you have enough weight to lose that losing it will improve your health either directly or statistically then anything that makes it harder and less sustainable is, by definition, not healthy. In other words when I eat treat food mingled in with my diet and it makes the process easier for me to sustain I lose weight over a very long period of time. By my definition that makes potato chips, pizza, french fries, fast food, etc. all part of a healthy diet. My frequent blood tests agree. I moderate all of them but they are there.

Also, I am not using 'cringe' at you directly. I have no idea what your definition of "healthy" eating is. I have seen it used here enough times to mean a stark and strict approach that it makes me, well, cringe.
  • amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Yet again, I face the challenge of addressing my persistent, chronic and powerful pattern of ignoring/dissociating my food intake from the consequences of poor health and gross weight gain. Today, I start the uphill process of eating healthy, eating regularly and eating mindfully. My relationship with food is one fraught with tension, stress, codependence and addiction. I intend to approach this next step in my life with honesty and conviction. But, I could use your help. Would anyone reading this first thread, like to join me on this journey. I start today at 105kg and poor muscle tone, low fitness and fear. No pretending. But...there is always hope. Join me>

You really have to lead this, but everyone here at MFP is happy to support you on the journey.

We can't stop you from eating oversized portions, but we can help direct you to the tools to determine the correct portions for your size and goals, share recipes and tell about our various tricks to keep ourselves on track.

Nothing we say will get you up and exercizing, but there is an entire forum section devoted to tips and tricks in this area.

It's a personal journey, at the food on your plate level, but it's a group adventure at MFP.

Hang in there, you can do it!

good luck to us all.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »

There are different mechanisms for how certain macros are processed by the body. They should not be the focus of a person trying to lose weight and especially if that person says they have a bad relationship with food.

When you strip everything away it comes back to a simple energy balance. If you burn more than you eat your body will use stored energy to make up the demand. Worrying about the thermic effect of food or anything else the internet wants us to worry about adds requirements to the equation that may make the process of losing weight even harder than it needs to be. Harder is less sustainable.

If you have enough weight to lose that losing it will improve your health either directly or statistically then anything that makes it harder and less sustainable is, by definition, not healthy. In other words when I eat treat food mingled in with my diet and it makes the process easier for me to sustain I lose weight over a very long period of time. By my definition that makes potato chips, pizza, french fries, fast food, etc. all part of a healthy diet. My frequent blood tests agree. I moderate all of them but they are there.

Also, I am not using 'cringe' at you directly. I have no idea what your definition of "healthy" eating is. I have seen it used here enough times to mean a stark and strict approach that it makes me, well, cringe.

Ah yes, I believe a few people around here call it "majoring in the minors". Like using a toothbrush to paint a whole wall when you can use a roller and get 85% of it done in a minute. Use the paint roller first, and then you can get the corners with a paintbrush.

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    I should also mention I am speaking from my own experience. In 3 decades of failed weight loss I very often denounced all the food I loved to eat in the name of healthy eating and weight loss. All of of those attempts failed and I stayed heavy or got heavier. However I have been on my current plan for nearly 2 years and lost over 200 pounds. Based on my fairly thorough tracking for most of it I have lost my weight at around 3500 calories per pound regardless of what I have eaten.
  • ehloring1
    ehloring1 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Lately, I can't seem to control myself. My eating is not mindful and I have been making a lot of excuses... so the scale goes up and I feel crappy- both mentally and physically.
    Today is a day off from work and day for myself. I am going to focus on eating right and moving. Starting slow and changing small things does not work for me - I start making allowances for things I really shouldn't be eating simply because for i.e. - I'm drinking more water. That is not going to help against eating cake. I am going to be mindful of the foods I ingest today and planning for tomorrow as well. I'll take it a couple of days at a time.
  • carolpa1
    carolpa1 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »

but it does work.
    you don't work it. just because you don't eat according to your calorie count, doesn't mean the calorie counting doesn't work.

I'm sorry. I meant to say it doesn't work "for me." I have friends and I know it does work for them. It doesn't work for me because I cant/ wont/don't want to stick to.it.
  • mbaker566
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »

but it does work.

I'm sorry. I meant to say it doesn't work "for me." I have friends and I know it does work for them. It doesn't work for me because I cant/ wont/don't want to stick to.it.

so it does work. you don't use it to your benefit. just to be clear. (not to be rude)