Do You Suffer From Binge Eating? Join the Group!

Options
For those of us who are going through this, binge eating is a horrible thing to deal with. Other addictions you can avoid (alcohol, drugs, etc), but food is all around us. Let's get together to be a support to one another!

Feel free to join the "Binge-Eating Support Group."

You are NOT alone!

Replies

• CraigH73
    CraigH73 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Sometimes yes i do binge eat when i am all alone.
  • lamlamsmakeover
    lamlamsmakeover Posts: 6,574 Member
    Options
    I just this week read an interesting article about the difference between Bing Eating and Overeating. And it really struck home for me. Because I have had so many people tell me they are one and the same. And they are not.
    Overeat you do not feel overwhelming guilt for.
    Binge eating equals shame, guilt, depression, out of control feeling, some comparing to an addiction of sorts. It is an eating disorder.

I give this example and it is true. One of my brothers used to every year at Thanksgiving gorge himself on food. I mean the amount of food he put away was legendary in our family. I would call that an Overeating day. He did not regret it, did not feel bad, did not cry about it. He looked forward to it and did it each year. Including in married life as well.

Me, my issue at times is going on a binge. And I have very specific foods that I do it with. And the only way I can control it. Is to not have those foods in our house at all. I love to the extreme Ice Cream and low fat frozen yogurt. And I have real issues with them around portion control. As in one sitting eat a half gallon with no issue. Then feel bad, guilty, cry. And worry because as a type 2 diabetic I should never do that. When Hostess came back with Suzy Q's that was not a good day for me at all. Bought a box, ate in two sittings in 16 hours. So how I have to control my binges food that I go crazy on, I do not have in the house.
    The other thing I have been working on is I also enjoy baking. So I have taken up baking with alternate flours almond, coconut, and alternate sugars monkfruit, swereve etc. That way I can still get some sweets in, for the HUGE sweet tooth that rules me at times. But keep in check.

With me, its definitely binge eating and not overeating. Ice cream is my downfall, too. I'm trying to avoid it. fingers crossed.
  • lamlamsmakeover
    Options
    CraigH73 wrote: »
    Sometimes yes i do binge eat when i am all alone.

I tend to want to binge eat while watching TV.
  • madis0nliz
    madis0nliz Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Whenever I eat more than I need, it's never overeating. It's always binge eating. I feel awful afterwards and can't stand myself. I'm a sucker for everything salty, crunchy, savory, and/or spicy.
  • lamlamsmakeover
    Options
    madis0nliz wrote: »
    Whenever I eat more than I need, it's never overeating. It's always binge eating. I feel awful afterwards and can't stand myself. I'm a sucker for everything salty, crunchy, savory, and/or spicy.

Same here.
  • berrylovinggirl
    berrylovinggirl Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Is anyone elae here clinically diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder? Or are we talking more a subjective, self-diagnosed version of binge eating?
  • lamlamsmakeover
    Options
    Is anyone elae here clinically diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder? Or are we talking more a subjective, self-diagnosed version of binge eating?

I haven't been clinically diagnosed but self-diagnosed. I have all the signs, and it's an everyday struggle.
  • xxzenabxx
    xxzenabxx Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I suffered from binge eating until recently. I was exercising 5 days a week and walking 8000-10000 steps a day. I ate 1750 calories on average and I was always thinking about food. I was satisfied sometimes and other times I would binge on chocolate. Recently started this week I’ve decided to up my calories. I am now eating an average of 1950 calories and it’s made such a difference! My hunger has vanished and I feel so much more energetic. I normally binge and feel guilty on holiday but this year I won’t. I’m just going to be sensible and practice moderation. I’m going to enter the new year as a healed person hopefully.
  • berrylovinggirl
    berrylovinggirl Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    xxzenabxx wrote: »
    I suffered from binge eating until recently. I was exercising 5 days a week and walking 8000-10000 steps a day. I ate 1750 calories on average and I was always thinking about food. I was satisfied sometimes and other times I would binge on chocolate. Recently started this week I’ve decided to up my calories. I am now eating an average of 1950 calories and it’s made such a difference! My hunger has vanished and I feel so much more energetic. I normally binge and feel guilty on holiday but this year I won’t. I’m just going to be sensible and practice moderation. I’m going to enter the new year as a healed person hopefully.

Do you mean you would consume 1750cals in a binge or was that your cals for the day including a binge?
  • Fatexterminator
    Fatexterminator Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I suffer from binge eating after work
  • xxzenabxx
    xxzenabxx Posts: 935 Member
    Options

Do you mean you would consume 1750cals in a binge or was that your cals for the day including a binge?

1750 calories was how many I would eat everyday when I wasn’t binging.
  • SoulThriver88
    SoulThriver88 Posts: 27 Member
    Options

Why should something be clinically diagnosed for it to be considered a valid problem... is there something wrong with self-diagnosis or introspection?🤔
  • SoulThriver88
    Options

I realized I tended to grab at anything sweet when frustrated with work or family drama...which felt out of my control...at least I had control over the snack I am eating & devouring in that moment of panic🤣😋
  • SoulThriver88
    edited December 2019
    Options

In my teens and 20s my body felt like that whenever I tried to diet - like your body goes into red alert mode, thinking it is going to starve and that there will be an extreme LACK of something... so it has to preserve itself and resources.

It is a huge mental thing... you against your body and mind🤔
  • mfpphoenixx
    mfpphoenixx Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have been diagnosed with binge eating disorder. It is very difficult to lose weight especially with a restricted diet that makes it worse. I have been struggling for a long time with the disorder and my weight. I am glad I found this thread, looking for some support and others that can understand. I am so tired of feeling like I keep failing diet wise. Especially with the food pushers or those that don’t understand and tell me it’s ok to cheat just a little bit. That opens the floodgates and I spiral out of control. The guilt, shame, anxiety and frustration I feel is so overwhelming and no one understands. Well just wanted to reach out and say hi. The struggle is real. Have a great day!
  • lamlamsmakeover
    Options

Me, too, mostly at night.
  • lamlamsmakeover
    Options
    I have been diagnosed with binge eating disorder. It is very difficult to lose weight especially with a restricted diet that makes it worse. I have been struggling for a long time with the disorder and my weight. I am glad I found this thread, looking for some support and others that can understand. I am so tired of feeling like I keep failing diet wise. Especially with the food pushers or those that don’t understand and tell me it’s ok to cheat just a little bit. That opens the floodgates and I spiral out of control. The guilt, shame, anxiety and frustration I feel is so overwhelming and no one understands. Well just wanted to reach out and say hi. The struggle is real. Have a great day!

I completely understand. I absolutely hate the food pushers, too. They certainly don't understand this disorder.
  • francesca_grey
    francesca_grey Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I am a binge eater! I am a thousand percent better than I used to be in terms of quantity and frequency, but I still have to rule over my diet with an iron fist at times.

I used to dream (and still do at times) that there would be a day where I would be completely binge-free and never have to worry about self control around food again but that day has not arrived and I am beginning to question if it ever will. Losing weight helped with hormones, therapy fixed underlying issues, various diet plans taught me how to fuel myself properly for good health and weightlifting/fitness provided new ways to to cope, but the urge to consume quantities of food with reckless abandon when I am feeling stressed, sad, anxious, angry or bored is something that I will always have to manage. The only thing I do have control over is how I deal with it it when I give in and feeling ashamed is not how I choose to feel about it. Annoyed? Yes. Guilty? Okay, just enough to learn my lesson for next time. But ashamed? Absolutely not. I am a human being with needs and vices and sometimes I take the easy way out.

*full disclosure, yesterday I binged after 14 days of not snacking outside of planned meals. Woke up pissy and remorseful but I dusted myself off, drank a ton of water, ate a big salad and in a couple hours will be heading to work out my remaining frustrations in the gym.