Combining "intuitive eating" with MFP?

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Hi guys- after two years of weight gain, I am back.

I have been working with an “intuitive eating" coach for a few months and have gotten to the bottom of some of the “why” behind my emotional eating.
    Some of the things I've learned:
    1. My love for particular foods, like tortilla chips, goes back to childhood.
    2. Loneliness and acute stress are triggers for me for emotional eating.
    3. If I stop exercising, I feel like crap, and want to eat more.
    4. My thinking is very black-and-white... I don't have to be perfect all the time.
    5. Stopping automatic negative thoughts like "my stomach is UGLY" and changing that thought to "this is a HUMAN stomach."

However, I’ve gained 15lb since starting that program, and I've hit my so-called rock bottom. At 31, I'm now 5'5" and about 204lb.

So... I want to use MFP and combine it with the principles of IE. The IE folks would tell me I’m going against IE by doing calorie counting. But anyone else had success doing both?

I don't like the term intuitive eating, but try to practice mindful eating, which I think it often similar to what others call intuitive eating. It worked well with MFP (I typically don't log much at maintenance).

I definitely focused on WHY I overate and emotional eating triggers. I definitely find that exercise helps, and I very much had that issue with black and white thinking and getting place it was key for me when losing, and being nicer to myself in general. So those all seem similar to what you are doing.

For me, I found that I tended to overeat when eating mindlessly (which for me mostly happened not at meals), and when emotional eating (often stress related or self-comfort generally). So the first thing for me was to decide to eat only at meals (I tend to have pretty nutrient dense meals and home cook them anyway).

Then I started logging what I ate and figured out easy ways to cut cals by reducing added fats, and portions of side starches. At first my eye and stomach weren't in line, but I trusted the food would be sufficient (or just added more veg) and found that it was. Understanding how much would satisfy me and lower cal ways to bulk it up if I wanted more bulk helped, and after I stopped logging I found I could still do the same by being mindful. In fact, very soon after starting MFP, I found I was easily hitting my goals daily without having to adjust much -- I understood what amounts would give me reasonable cals and be satisfying.

The other thing I did was if I wanted to eat between meals I reminded myself that I was going to be eating before too long anyway and was not actually hungry, and journaled about what was going on that made me want to eat (or sometimes just planned a meal that would be delicious based on what I wanted, and then ate that -- it was as satisfying as eating in the moment would have been).

I also started with weekly goals in addition to my calorie goals (eat veg at all meals or homecook all lunches or some such) and would note in my journal about successes and struggles daily, treating it as a learning experience and not a failure or something that meant everything was ruined if I failed to meet an exercise goal or overate one day or whatnot.

Anyway, just some ideas, obviously different approaches will work for different people.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Perhaps you can try weighing and calorie counting to get a better idea of what a serving looks like, then slowly transition to intuitive eating as your food intuition begins to closely match actual serving sizes.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    This is an interesting topic. For what it's worth - I follow the basic principles of eating intuitively and I also weight, measure, log and track everything I consume up to my daily calorie target. I follow a vegan diet so pretty much everything I consume is nutritionally dense and that pretty much eliminates any cravings or hunger I might have following a regular calorie counting/restrictive diet. I guess I don't know why someone can't do both. Now that you're armed with the reasons behind your eating habits and have worked to change the mental aspects, can't you also include the calorie counting/weight loss aspects?
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    I counted calories for years, then once I understood the calorie content of the foods I ate, I switched to IE. But first I think you need to learn what you are putting into your body and the calories in everything before you can be successful at IE.
  • fuzzylop_
    fuzzylop_ Posts: 100 Member
    I don't think Intuitive Eating (as defined by Tribole and Resch) and counting calories can coexist, since the core belief of intuitive eating is internal hunger and satiety cues determine when and how much you eat as opposed to external rules.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    dydn11402 wrote: »
    I would think that a body would "intuitively" eat to maintain status quo, and not intuitively eat in a calorie deficit. So someone who needs to lose weight should probably first get to a healthy weight before learning to eat intuitively. You can practice identifying your feelings of satiety, etc while losing but just bec youre hungry while trying to lose doesnt necessarily mean your body needs more food.

nope
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,586 Member
    I understand the difference between intuitively eating and eating for a calorie goal. I just meant logging after the fact because of keeping an eye on macros or micros or whatever.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    fuzzylop_ wrote: »
    I don't think Intuitive Eating (as defined by Tribole and Resch) and counting calories can coexist, since the core belief of intuitive eating is internal hunger and satiety cues determine when and how much you eat as opposed to external rules.

I think it could be a tool for a while, so that you understood how many cals you were eating and thus if you needed to figure out why you were not feeling sated on maintenance cals and could adjust or some such.

But then I don't find the concept of intuitive eating (vs. mindful eating, which I do like) to the extent it is based on the idea that just learning to listen to hunger signals is enough and that most people overeat because they eat when not hungry (for example, satiety signals may kick in a bit after you finish eating and many people find they are hungry at times they are used to eating and -- especially -- many things other than calories needed may determine how hungry/sated you feel).

I thought the OP's things she is working on sounded in some ways like mindful eating and could be consistent with calorie counting, at least for a while (and certainly when trying to lose), whatever one calls it.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,310 Member
    I just want to add to the "stop when your not hungry" part (it's probably beside the point) but I stop eating before I'm not hungry anymore. It takes about 20min for what I ate to make me feel satisfied. When I was overweight I ate till I was full. I haven't been weighing every bite every day lately but I do weigh food at least one meal a day
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Yeah - agree with the above poster. The Stop when you're full part I think is what gets most people in trouble.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Yeah - agree with the above poster. The Stop when you're full part I think is what gets most people in trouble.

Well... I think Comfortably full is a better term
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,893 Member
    Intuitive eating only worked for me when I was in artificial situations where my main food choices were high-volume/very filling for the calorie/low-calorie foods and my access to hyper-palatable/calorie-dense foods was severely limited.

So when I have an American kitchen and access to American supermarkets, my "intuition" will not keep me in a calorie deficit.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Intuitive eating only worked for me when I was in artificial situations where my main food choices were high-volume/very filling for the calorie/low-calorie foods and my access to hyper-palatable/calorie-dense foods was severely limited.

So when I have an American kitchen and access to American supermarkets, my "intuition" will not keep me in a calorie deficit.

I like you...😊