Ladies!!

Options
I’ve been permanently bra-less for the last year or so. My tots have gotten perkier and look nicer over the course of the year so I definitely recommend not wearing one if you wear a bra now for every day life. BUT I’ve been working out with no bra as well. I have absolutely zero pain or discomfort but I’ve been reading and it looks like not wearing a bra will have negative impact on breast tissue. Any other ladies not wear a bra while working out (running mainly)
If you ladies advise against, any suggestions on a good sports bra?

Replies

• s131951
    s131951 Posts: 3,776 Member
    Options
    Does my vote count for anything?
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine doing this without putting an eye out 🤔 :noway:
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,266 Member
    Options
    If one has breasts of any size, the likelihood for sag is high, with increasing age, and that risk increase if routinely not wearing a bra. It's just gravity.

I pretty much never wear a bra these days, certainly not while working out, but that's due to my particular circumstances: Post bilateral mastectomies, no reconstruction.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    Too much bounce for me, don’t like, I get back pain if I do too much physical activity without a bra. I think it really depends on the person whether this is a good idea or not. I just wear sports bras from Meijer, lol, they work for me as far as support.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    Had to add a funny to this. I told my dd I had an appt. for a mammogram. She asked if the machine went down that far. Always the funny one she is. :)

I feel so much better when I'm not wearing one but after having 4 babies and BFing 3 of them, plus being 66 yo, it's just not feasible for me without getting stared at. :)
  • marisrain24
    marisrain24 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I once ran around my town without a bra. It wasn’t intentional I just woke up, rolled out of bed with what I wore to sleep, put on my sneakers and took off. On my way home I felt a burning sensation on my nipples. I thought they were going to fall off!! My oversized tee was just creating a lot of friction and rubbing as I ran and oh my that was so painful that I vowed to free my breasts from a bra everyday except for when I run 😭 if any one has suggestions on how I can do that, I’m all ears.
  • amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    ... I vowed to free my breasts from a bra everyday except for when I run 😭 if any one has suggestions on how I can do that, I’m all ears.

pasties, or a bandaid, or a piece of tape over the nips should take care of that problem.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I'm a barely B cup, and running without a bra sounds torturous.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I run without one. Being a AA, I don’t think I ever have to worry about sag.
  • ellie117
    ellie117 Posts: 293 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Just doing housework without a bra gets painful after a while, I can't imagine doing something vigorous like my cardio routine without one. I haven't had smaller than a D/DD cup since puberty though, so maybe smaller cups can handle it better than larger ones.

While we're on the subject.... I have sports bras based on my cup size and band size (I LOVE the one I have from Victoria's Secret) but I still end up with chafing on the underside of my 'tots' as OP calls them. My solution is to (lol) place socks in the bra between the bottom of the girls and the bottom of the bra cup, and that seems to lessen it. But if I neglect to do so, the next few days my skin is super red and stings, like a rug burn on your knees type sting. I second OP's request if any ladies have a recommendation for good sports bras, or perhaps some sort of lotion or cream, that could prevent this type of problem?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,266 Member
    Options
    ellie117 wrote: »
    Just doing housework without a bra gets painful after a while, I can't imagine doing something vigorous like my cardio routine without one. I haven't had smaller than a D/DD cup since puberty though, so maybe smaller cups can handle it better than larger ones.

While we're on the subject.... I have sports bras based on my cup size and band size (I LOVE the one I have from Victoria's Secret) but I still end up with chafing on the underside of my 'tots' as OP calls them. My solution is to (lol) place socks in the bra between the bottom of the girls and the bottom of the bra cup, and that seems to lessen it. But if I neglect to do so, the next few days my skin is super red and stings, like a rug burn on your knees type sting. I second OP's request if any ladies have a recommendation for good sports bras, or perhaps some sort of lotion or cream, that could prevent this type of problem?

Would one of the commercial anti-chafing products, such as Body Glide, help?
  • Kupla71
    Kupla71 Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    I would love to go out without a bra but I’m a DD and get stared at. At home I’m always braless. Running is out of the question. For running even if I was smaller I would probably wear one just for support. I’ve heard that running without a bra can cause tiny tears in the breast tissue.
  • ellie117
    ellie117 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Would one of the commercial anti-chafing products, such as Body Glide, help?

I haven't tried that but it's not a bad idea. I did switch up my routine from cardio-only to a strength training program, and so far I've been chafe-free since there's considerably less bouncing/movement. But I'll definitely try something like that when I get back into a cardio routine.
  • dhiammarath
    dhiammarath Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    COGypsy wrote: »
    I'm a DDD and pretty much the only thing I do without a bra is shower.

Same, lol, but I’m at a G. These babies are strapped in like Fort Knox on a regular basis. Eventually, after I reach goal, I’m hoping for a reduction.

• parkerpowerlift
    parkerpowerlift Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    There is absolutely NO way I could get away with that. Hahaha. I wear a Victoria's Secret high-impact bra and it STILL isn't enough support for me. I normally wear a D40 for bras. With my sports bra, it is a DD40 and I still have issues running (tested said bra out while running last night).

I honestly think I'll need to wear a regular bra underneath my sports bra for enough support moving forward!!!

Even at my lightest weight, 60+ lbs ago, I was still a D36, lol. So these refuse to leave!
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    There is absolutely NO way I could get away with that. Hahaha. I wear a Victoria's Secret high-impact bra and it STILL isn't enough support for me. I normally wear a D40 for bras. With my sports bra, it is a DD40 and I still have issues running (tested said bra out while running last night).

I honestly think I'll need to wear a regular bra underneath my sports bra for enough support moving forward!!!

Even at my lightest weight, 60+ lbs ago, I was still a D36, lol. So these refuse to leave!

Fortunately or unfortunately, we tend to stay proportionally about the same, so you’ll probably continue to be a D for a while, lol. I went from a 38 to a 32 band and stayed a DDD the whole time since cup sizes are proportional too.
  • mindoverfatter710
    mindoverfatter710 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I once ran around my town without a bra. It wasn’t intentional I just woke up, rolled out of bed with what I wore to sleep, put on my sneakers and took off. On my way home I felt a burning sensation on my nipples. I thought they were going to fall off!! My oversized tee was just creating a lot of friction and rubbing as I ran and oh my that was so painful that I vowed to free my breasts from a bra everyday except for when I run 😭 if any one has suggestions on how I can do that, I’m all ears.

I’ve luckily never had any pain whatsoever. My boobs aren’t massive. To be honest I’m not even sure of my bra size anymore
  • mindoverfatter710
    mindoverfatter710 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    All you ladies have such large Tatas.i believe I’m a b? Again I haven’t worn a bra in forever but my ladies aren’t big. But I’m glad to see I’m not the only one. I haven’t seen any true evidence stating it does hurt breast tissue. Thanks for the input!! I’ll probably buy a sports bra even though I really really don’t want to wear a bra..but I also don’t want to compromise the girls.
  • Ocrgrrrl
    Ocrgrrrl Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I am a 34D and this just hurts me to read that you run without a bra! 😫