Purging.

Options

Replies

• HollyTsiaussis
    HollyTsiaussis Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    yes its the acid in your stomach burning the inside of your esophagus. the esophagus can't tolerate the acid of the stomach. long term effects of this include cancer of the esophagus. i too hope you are getting the help you need.

Yes, I have done tests on patients at the hospital for their esophagus from b/p. It's very sad what it can do to people long term. I'm not going to tell you what you should or shouldn't do, but I really hope you are seeing a therapist and getting help with everything. Life doesn't have to be lived like this..

Sending hugs <3

Thank you. I'm hoping I get through this. <3
  • bellamia88
    bellamia88 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    To answer your question yes it does get hoarse I had a sore throat the next day and couldn't speak . I used to have problems with eating dis haven't done this in over a year and I never plan to again. It makes a lot of sense though you're usually straining your throat when purging plus all the acid from your stomach comes up and can really do damage to your teeth as well and burn holes through your esophagus. The calories and sugar gets absored through your bloodstream faster than you think so in the end throwing up really doesn't work anyways I know you don't want to hear anything else so i'll just say I hope you get the help you need and good luck with your weightloss journey.
  • nicakk01
    nicakk01 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    not here to tell you its bad or watever, but why has it come to this??
    why do you feel the need to do it??

I've been purging since eighth grade. It's just gotten worse lately.
    Are you seekign help? There are so many bad side affect and if you have been doing this for years, you can do a lot of damage. Stomach, throat, intestines, etc...

I don't have any health insurance at the moment, so I'm doing my best on my own to try to stop.

Holly - I am also a recovered Bulimic Anorexic - if you want support friend me. YOU CAN DO THIS! I believe in you and understand the need and how it over takes you - BUT I also believe if you are asking this type of question, its time to get you help. Help can come without insurance, there are support groups, books, journals....If you want another friend who knows and understands send me a request.
    Nicole
  • HollyTsiaussis
    Options
    Have you tried contacting psychiatrists and see if they could help you by paying only what you could afford? Some will do this for folks who have no insurance. Are you in college and can use the health system at the school, if there is one?

HUGS
    Kristina

I'm in high school right now. There's no therapists there. I wish there was though.
  • NaCheezIt
    NaCheezIt Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm recovering from bulimia, but for me it was common to be hoarse, flushed in the face, have a sore throat, bleeding throat, and a runny nose as well as a sore abdomen and knees.
    I really hope you get out of this as soon as possible. It gets harder to leave the longer you wait.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Have you tried contacting psychiatrists and see if they could help you by paying only what you could afford? Some will do this for folks who have no insurance. Are you in college and can use the health system at the school, if there is one?

HUGS
    Kristina

I'm in high school right now. There's no therapists there. I wish there was though.

Google works wonders. You can also call your local hospital and ask if they have any programs. There is always a way.
  • lawtechie
    lawtechie Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Check out NJ Family Care. Do you think you are eligible for this?
    http://www.njfamilycare.org/index.html
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    Holly, I really hope you find the hope and help you need. There are crisis phone numbers and websites that can help you get the medical and psychological help you need. Since you are a minor, I hope you know this site is for adults. That said, I hope you will find people here or elsewhere who can help you.

Do your parents know? If not, please consider telling them. I would move mountains to get help for my daughter if I knew she was hurting herself in this way. ((hug))
  • VixFit2011
    VixFit2011 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Search, search and search for some kind of help. I understand about the no insurance and the financial reasons but there has to be help of some sort somewhere. I just said a prayer for you and wish you the best. You have a lot of life ahead of you. Love yourself and your body. Life is a gift and can be very wonderful and rewarding. I don't know what else to say. I just send you loving thoughts and prayers and truly hope you get the help you truly need.
  • robbiegrey
    Options
    purging is very bad, as you know, and becoming hoarse can be a side effect because it's stomach acid eating away at the lining of esophagus, it's basically burning it's way up and out, and if you do it enough you will notice your tooth enamel wearing away as well as being hoarse. I really hope you do find the help you need
  • victoriashea
    Options
    You've been doing this since eighth grade and you've never gotten a sore/hoarse throat before? It took me a year to completely lose my singing voice due to purging. Of course the cigarettes couldn't have helped but... yeah. The throat thing is normal. Just wait until your teeth start to ache. And every time you burp you either vomit up a little bit of food or you get terrible heartburn. Then of course there's passing out from electrolyte imbalances... Ahh eating disorders. What a living hell you made of my life.

I'm so glad you're getting help. Good luck and feel free to message me anytime.
  • HollyTsiaussis
    Options

My mom already tried to get us on that. They never called back. :(
  • HollyTsiaussis
    Options
    You've been doing this since eighth grade and you've never gotten a sore/hoarse throat before? It took me a year to completely lose my singing voice due to purging. Of course the cigarettes couldn't have helped but... yeah. The throat thing is normal. Just wait until your teeth start to ache. And every time you burp you either vomit up a little bit of food or you get terrible heartburn. Then of course there's passing out from electrolyte imbalances... Ahh eating disorders. What a living hell you made of my life.

I'm so glad you're getting help. Good luck and feel free to message me anytime.

That happens to me too. I didn't know that the heartburn was linked to purging. Thanks for that.
  • lawtechie
    lawtechie Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Did she actually fill out an application? If not, then pester her for that and keep trying! Don't let one unreturned call stop you/her. Do whatever you need to do (that's legal) to get help.

• HollyTsiaussis
    Options
    Did she actually fill out an application? If not, then pester her for that and keep trying! Don't let one unreturned call stop you/her. Do whatever you need to do (that's legal) to get help.

I'll talk to her about it tomorrow. Thanks for reminding me!
  • kklindsey
    kklindsey Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    does your mom know? anyone else. I started in 7th grade and my mom caught on and watched me like a hawk and that stopped it for a while. but after i had kids and tried to lose weight it came back. every time I tried to diet and felt like I had eaten too much I would purge. So i didnt try to diet for years and got to 300lbs., I started dieting again and despite doing it in a very healthy, slow way sometimes the urge to purge would come back and I would slip up. It is a very very hard thing to stop and it just seems to accelerate. I am sure you know that it starts out as purging because you overate and it progresses to overeating in huge amounts because you rationalize that you can just purge. AT my worst I would purge 10 or 12 times a day.

Telling my husband and my best friend seemed to help me to control it. If you intend to lose weight ever you will always have to be on guard that you don't resort to purging but for right now try to enlist as many people as you trust to tell so that they can be there to help you and support you. good luck.
  • Circa1964
    Circa1964 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    You are a brave young lady to ask the hard question. Lots of good information has come your way.
    Wishing you success. Start by healthy eating (definitely in Moderation) and try really hard to keep those
    nutrients with you.
  • lloydmel
    lloydmel Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    If there is a YWCA near you, they have counseling services for free usually. Just an FYI. Hope you are able to get better soon.
  • callmecorinne
    Options
    I have gotten the stomach pains you're talking about. It's from making yourself throw up, it puts a lot of strain on your body. People sometimes pull stomach muscles from it.
  • Watch_Me_Shrink
    Watch_Me_Shrink Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about discussing this issue with your parents? Maybe they could help pay for the treatment? I know you have been doing it for a long time and as an ex purger I know how hard it is to stop.
    I see a psychologist who I only have to make a co contribution towards the fee. It's $170 an hour and I only pay $35, it's worth looking into there are lots of subsidized and free services out there you just have to look. You might have to put your name in a waiting list But it's better than doing nothing at all :)