What *ACTUALLY* boosts metabolism

Hii , I’m 112kg 5’10 female. I lost 20kg so far this year. Now the losing weight process is getting harder and I’m wondering what actually boosts your metabolism? Does adding muscles helps you increase your resting calories? Or walking more? Idk advice me please

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    edited December 2019
    Idk about boosting your metabolism exactly, but you can increase your daily calorie burn by working out. Cardio burns the most calories, but lifting helps you build or at least maintain more of your muscle mass as you lose weight. Maintaining muscle mass will give you a better bf% after losing weight.
  • UmaMageswarymfp
    UmaMageswarymfp Posts: 280 Member
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    The real answer is illegal drugs (illegal because of their side effects mostly) and overeating.

Yes, overeating actually increases and speeds up your metabolic process if by that we mean base temperature and cellular activity.

But you may be looking for ways to increase your TDEE and feel better.

Activity, strength training, and other exercise all tend to do that!

Oh wow thank you
  • UmaMageswarymfp
    UmaMageswarymfp Posts: 280 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    If by "metabolism" you mean the calories you burn doing nothing but hanging out being alive (RMR/BMR), then there isn't much way to increase it significantly, at least not legally/safely. A pound of muscle only burns a couple of calories (literally) per day more than a pound of fat. There are some other tiny things that could be positive/negative (like undereating so much that your body slows down hair growth and whatnot - it won't stop a person losing weight if they're still eating fewer calories than they burn, but it can lead to negative health outcomes).

If you simply want to increase the number of calories your body burns, there are two productive routes: Exercise and daily life activity, not necessarily in that order (varies). One tricky thing is that it's possible to increase exercise so much that you're fatigued, and reduce daily life activity (chores, work, non-exercise hobbies, etc.) so much that you wipe out a good chunk of the exercise calorie benefit. Conversely, you can amp up daily life activity so much that workout intensity (or willingness/compliance) could be affected. So, there's a balance, and I'd bet the balance point depends on your starting conditions (fitness, daily habits, etc., at the start).

You probably know how to increase exercise calorie expenditure: Pick a type of exercise that burns more calories per minute, or do what you normally do more intensely, more often, or for a longer duration. Watch out for over-fatigue.

There's a thread here about ideas for increasing daily life activity:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10610953/neat-improvement-strategies-to-improve-weight-loss

For some, that produces meaningful results.

There are some other very, very minor things. For example, thermic efficiency of food, TEF, is one: There's a bare chance that eating more protein or more whole foods might burn a truly tiny number of extra calories in the digestive/metabolization processes, but it's iffy and minor. Better to focus on nutrition, satiation, and general enjoyment in that realm, I think, vs. chasing burning a tiny number more calories, on a speculative and non-measurable basis.

Probably the biggest helps in your kind of scenario are consistency, patience, persistence, and precision (of logging), realistically. Not what you'd wanted to hear, I suspect. :drinker:

Thank you so much 😊 Imma check out the link
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    During your 20 kg loss over the past year have you taken any planned diet breaks? A couple weeks of eating at maintenance can really help. I find myself more focused after a diet break when returning to the deficit and my logging accuracy improves.
  • fitqueenbess
    fitqueenbess Posts: 372 Member
    You're down over 40 pounds! Good job!

I had a WW leader that pointed out that young-male-lactating-330 pound-football players would get the most points. :D Short of that, acceptance of your "new normal" is the way to go. It's a good problem to have.

As your body changes size, you will need to feed it differently. My daily calorie allowance on MFP goes down 6 or 7 calories for each pound lost. Makes sense as it is basically a physics problem. Changing your ideas about food choices, though hard, is easier than changing the bodily processes needed to maintain life.

Think "lighter food for a lighter woman." You are worth it!
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    If by "metabolism" you mean the calories you burn doing nothing but hanging out being alive (RMR/BMR), then there isn't much way to increase it significantly, at least not legally/safely. A pound of muscle only burns a couple of calories (literally) per day more than a pound of fat. There are some other tiny things that could be positive/negative (like undereating so much that your body slows down hair growth and whatnot - it won't stop a person losing weight if they're still eating fewer calories than they burn, but it can lead to negative health outcomes).

If you simply want to increase the number of calories your body burns, there are two productive routes: Exercise and daily life activity, not necessarily in that order (varies). One tricky thing is that it's possible to increase exercise so much that you're fatigued, and reduce daily life activity (chores, work, non-exercise hobbies, etc.) so much that you wipe out a good chunk of the exercise calorie benefit. Conversely, you can amp up daily life activity so much that workout intensity (or willingness/compliance) could be affected. So, there's a balance, and I'd bet the balance point depends on your starting conditions (fitness, daily habits, etc., at the start).

You probably know how to increase exercise calorie expenditure: Pick a type of exercise that burns more calories per minute, or do what you normally do more intensely, more often, or for a longer duration. Watch out for over-fatigue.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10610953/neat-improvement-strategies-to-improve-weight-loss

There are some other very, very minor things. For example, thermic efficiency of food, TEF, is one: There's a bare chance that eating more protein or more whole foods might burn a truly tiny number of extra calories in the digestive/metabolization processes, but it's iffy and minor. Better to focus on nutrition, satiation, and general enjoyment in that realm, I think, vs. chasing burning a tiny number more calories, on a speculative and non-measurable basis.

Probably the biggest helps in your kind of scenario are consistency, patience, persistence, and precision (of logging), realistically. Not what you'd wanted to hear, I suspect. :drinker:

Exercise... yes.... cardio is great for just burning calories. Resistance training IMHO is just overlooked to much. You burn some energy during lifting. Slight bump in rmr over 48hr period most likely from increased protein turn over. Small amount of rmr bump dt increased/ sustaining muscle mass. It also might help decrease skeletal muscle efficiency that seems to happen after weight loss. Protein levels of 1.6/kg seem to also blunt the slight decrease in rmr as well...
  • psychod787
    psychod787 wrote: »

Exercise... yes.... cardio is great for just burning calories. Resistance training IMHO is just overlooked to much. You burn some energy during lifting. Slight bump in rmr over 48hr period most likely from increased protein turn over. Small amount of rmr bump dt increased/ sustaining muscle mass. It also might help decrease skeletal muscle efficiency that seems to happen after weight loss. Protein levels of 1.6/kg seem to also blunt the slight decrease in rmr as well...

Lol I understood nothing from this hahah , enlighten me please

Here are some research reviews that might help.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/30260099/

https://academic.oup.com/jn/advance-article/doi/10.1093/jn/nxz281/5637681
  • psychod787

Or, with apologies to Mr. Psychod787 :flowerforyou: , if you were looking for a less academic restatement, I think he was wanting to say that:

* Too many people ignore how useful strength training is (maybe especially during weight loss)
    * You do burn some calories during lifting, even if not quite as many calories per minute as during most cardio
    * Strength training also causes a very small extra calorie burn after the workout ("bump in RMR", or resting metabolic rate), probably from rebuilding the muscles that you worked out
    * Sometimes people who lose weight, also lose strength and muscle (a bad thing) along with fat; and strength training while losing weight can help avoid that bad effect
    * Getting enough protein from one's diet seems to help avoid losing muscle while losing weight, too; and 1.6g of protein daily seems to be a good minimum to hit (let's call that 0.75g protein per pound, more or less, if you use pounds vs. kg). I suspect he might mean per kg/pound of healthy goal weight, or maybe even per kg/pound of lean body mass, but I'm not sure - he didn't say.

I may've missed a point or two in there about resting metabolic rate and protein, or muscular efficiency, not sure, but I think that's the gist.

No apology needed my Granny of the Buffness. Pretty close. Hard to think I actually got called "academic".. lol good video here by Stuart Phillips. Preface... he was sponsored by the dairy council. He does say that in the lecture.

https://youtu.be/15jtzjv8uOM
  • psychod787

Or, with apologies to Mr. Psychod787 :flowerforyou: , if you were looking for a less academic restatement, I think he was wanting to say that:

* Too many people ignore how useful strength training is (maybe especially during weight loss)
    * You do burn some calories during lifting, even if not quite as many calories per minute as during most cardio
    * Strength training also causes a very small extra calorie burn after the workout ("bump in RMR", or resting metabolic rate), probably from rebuilding the muscles that you worked out
    * Sometimes people who lose weight, also lose strength and muscle (a bad thing) along with fat; and strength training while losing weight can help avoid that bad effect
    * Getting enough protein from one's diet seems to help avoid losing muscle while losing weight, too; and 1.6g of protein daily seems to be a good minimum to hit (let's call that 0.75g protein per pound, more or less, if you use pounds vs. kg). I suspect he might mean per kg/pound of healthy goal weight, or maybe even per kg/pound of lean body mass, but I'm not sure - he didn't say.

I may've missed a point or two in there about resting metabolic rate and protein, or muscular efficiency, not sure, but I think that's the gist.

No apology needed my Granny of the Buffness. Pretty close. Hard to think I actually got called "academic".. lol good video here by Stuart Phillips. Preface... he was sponsored by the dairy council. He does say that in the lecture.

<Snip video, for reply length.>

Call granny "buff" enough times, and she will call you "academic". ;)

I feel a little amused that my "translation" which you say is "pretty close" earned a "disagree" from someone, when (so far, right now), your post that I was translating, didn't. (I'm assuming the "disagree" wasn't you, because I think you're secretly (?) kind of a sweet young man. ;) ).

Either I'm unloved by the kind of sad personality that spends their free time going around "disagree"-ing because they don't like a person, or they didn't understand what you were saying. Heh.

Interesting links and vids you posted in support . . . also no "disagree" on those. :)

Well ma'am.. you are buff... so... secretly nice?🤐lol. I just dont want this young lady to fall "victim" to many of the things I did. Though to be honest, most of my "learning" has been what increases CI vs CO, I can't help but come by research on CO. I want this young lady to learn what it took me years to. Start to prepare for maintenance now. People like to call weight loss a "journey", I dont think it is. It's a grand adventure. It never stops. I would tell this person to check out the Ideal Weight Program on Humanos.me. it breaks down on 4hrs what it took me years to learn. No I dont get paid for this plug. I dont work for them. It is just something I believe in. Lol