Calories on Christmas Day

Options
2»

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Not tracking, and planning on eating ALL THE THINGZ! Back to reality, and tracking, on Thursday.
  • ThinnerLiz
    ThinnerLiz Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Hahaha..... as it turns out, we're not going to be having any kind of Christmas festivities this year, (family is spread all over), so that problem is off the table.
    However, there was a party I went to the other evening and I just plugged in that meal as "1,200" calories" in my advance planning, figuring I was going to eat, drink, and be merry. I went for a brisk, long walk the morning of, and ate lightly all day prior.

The next day, I went back and estimated what I had REALLY consumed, and it was a lot less than I'd planned. I think because I'm so mindful of my eating now, that when I went for that chocolate Yule Log and it didn't taste fantastic, I only had one bite. The same for all the other foods on my plate. I only ate the stuff that tasted great, and I didn't stuff myself. I also didn't feel deprived at all. I drank plenty of water, and enjoyed some delicious homemade mac-and-cheese--my favorite--but now that I know portion sizes I was able to keep it to about a 2/3 cup and was happy with that.

Advance planning is how I manage it. Like a good Girl Scout, I like to be prepared. :)
  • Harold76
    Harold76 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I'll log and track what I eat, and be mindful of how much, but I'm not going to try and impose a hard limit.
  • patricia__alves_
    Options
    Going way, way, way over any sensible TDEE on Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and Saturday (as I'm hosting our annual Friendsmas dinner).

I'll up my activity all week as I'm on vacation & will try to stick to a lower intake on the other 4 days this week (yesterday was a success).

I won't track but I'll still log in and input 4000-6000 cals per day just so I don't lose my streak :D
  • nodau_iach
    nodau_iach Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I want to make logging a habit, so it becomes second nature. <3
  • MySlimGoals
    MySlimGoals Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I’ve been doing MFP for almost five months straight and haven’t had a single day off and have been around 1200 calories most days. I’m taking the day off and only logging in to keep my log in count and read my message board. I’ve lost 54lb (24kg) so far so one day off won’t gain it all back. I can deal with it going up a couple of kg for something that doesn’t happen often. Just because I am losing weight doesn’t mean I should stop doing the things I really enjoy and Xmas has always been one of my favourite things.
  • Milax19
    Milax19 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for replying! Your replies helped me to understand some things. I think i will not log. I will try to eat in moderation and will log the next day. Happy Holidays x🌟
  • fitnessguy266
    fitnessguy266 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Update:

I'm pretty sure I was in the 6000-7000 calorie range....felt great to indulge ALOT more than usual :)
  • koalathebear
    koalathebear Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I kept vague track. Not to stop myself, but just to know how bad the damage was. I wanted to enjoy myself and eat what I wanted, but after the fact I did go and record what I ate. Christmas Eve and Christmas Day I well and truly blew my daily calorie budget, but I expected it and had a nice time. From Boxing Day, I returned to my normal routine - although factoring in Christmas leftovers :)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,081 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I plan to eat (and drink) All Of The Things on Christmas, just like I did at a holiday potluck yesterday. This is year 4, almost year 5 of maintenance, I'm still at BMI 22-point-something (and successfully slowly dropping weight at an ultra-slow pace over the past few months, as intended). A day or few of indulgence is irrelevant, for me, in the context of more controlled calorie balance the rest of the year.

Different people need different strategies. Part of the process is figuring out what strategies work best for you.

Happy holidays, in whatever form and manner you may celebrate them!

Reporting back: Christmas Eve morning, weighed in at 134.4.

Christmas Eve, ate and drank without once considering calories, as per plan quoted above. Didn't weigh the next AM (only because not at home so no scale, not skeered ;) ). Drove home, ate lotsa rich leftovers. Ate around maintenance yesterday, maybe a bit (low hundreds) over.

Th weigh-in: 136.6
    Fr: 136.0
    Sa: 134.8

There may be a little more drop tomorrow, or maybe it'll hang around there for a few days, then drop. (I'm in maintenance, but usually in a small, maybe 200 cal, deficit for calorie banking & recently for slooooow loss).

Either way, Christmas was great, and the weight impact was meh.