Hummus recipes?

Options
ReenieHJ
ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
Does anyone have a hummus recipe they wouldn't mind sharing? I love Sabra hummus but whenever I've tried making my own hummus at home, it comes out nowhere close to storebought. And I get sick of wasting money on ingredients. :(
Thanks!

Replies

• OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    If you are patient and want a really really nice creamy texture, take the time and peel the chickpeas.
    Lemme think about that.
    No thanks.

:) Seriously, I'd never considered it. Thanks for bringing the question to my attention.
  • PrismaticPhoenix
    PrismaticPhoenix Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I was just thinking about making my own hummus! Amazing!
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I read if you rub the chickpeas between your hands in a bowl of water then leave them a little while the skins should float up. Not tried it though.
  • Lila3701
    Lila3701 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    This one is my go to:
    https://www.budgetbytes.com/hummus-four-flavors/

So easy and it tastes better than the store bough, I think.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,144 Member
    Options
    What about a hand held blender instead of a food processor? Would it work?
  • LDemi333
    LDemi333 Posts: 92 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Soak the chickpeas and then rub the skins - they float to the top.
    Try an old country Greek dish called Rouvithi (chickpea, tomato and spinach with lemon).

I also half fill the slo-cooker with chickpeas, fill up with water, add salt, place on high and cook for 4 hours so that they are half cooked.
    Cool, bag in portions for the freezer to add to curries and soups.
    Other than that the recipe above sounds good, there are so many recipes as every Mediterranean Grandma swears by their own.
  • perseverance_is_everything
    Options
    Not really a recipe, but I had some pineapple and jalapeno hummus the other day. It was the best hummus I've ever had. There are recipes for it online if it sounds like a good flavor combo to you. Mine was store bought, but I plan on making it at home in the future. Anyway, just a combination for it that I had never tried and loved.
  • windra06
    windra06 Posts: 50 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    If i'm going for full fat ill blend together:
    1 can chickpeas
    1 tbsp Tahini
    1 tbsp olive oil
    1 tbsp lemon juice
    2 cloves garlic
    pinch salt
    Plus a little water if it is too thick.

I'm quite fat conscious, if you don't mind lots of fat the more tahini and oil you add the tastier it gets!

If i want a light version ill do:
    1 can chickpeas
    1 tsp Tahini
    1 tbsp lemon Juice
    2 cloves garlic
    pinch salt
    PLUS either 2 stalks celery or 1 -2 roasted peppers OR 1 large grated carrot
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    Not really a recipe, but I had some pineapple and jalapeno hummus the other day. It was the best hummus I've ever had. There are recipes for it online if it sounds like a good flavor combo to you. Mine was store bought, but I plan on making it at home in the future. Anyway, just a combination for it that I had never tried and loved.

This sounds like my perfect combination of flavours! I’ve researched some recipes and will be making some very very soon! Thank you for the inspiration!