2»

Replies

• psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »
    :ohnoes:

Not gonna listen to that one.

Do we really need to find something else in the food chain to worry about? I'm still alive against all odds considering what I've done to my body. I call it good genes or luck.

I remember back in the day when we worried about our pot being mixed with oregano. Now you're telling me we might have smoked strawberry leaves? The. Horror.

You smoke the Devil's Lettuce???😟 How can I trust you now? 🤔 lol

Oh, nononononono. None of that! But I was young at one point...and that was the 70s in Florida. Perhaps you know the history of your fine state?

Well you mean outside of screwing up elections, corruption, and having more armed militias than Michigan? If you happened to be in North Florida in the 70's and imbibed a type of lettuce called. Gainesville Green, you might have had some lettuce grown by my uncle... lol
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    aokoye wrote: »
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    Sharon_C wrote: »
    Who produced this podcast and what is their agenda? Two things I always ask myself before listening or watching food related documentaries.

You will always find an agenda......

And in case you wanted more information about Christopher Kimball, there's copious amounts of it online. He's a well known name in terms of US cooking instruction. Not as well known as say, Julia Child, but that's a pretty high bar.

Is it Chris Kimball or Chris Elliot? Chris Kimball is a chef and tV producer with no real training in food safety.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Kimball

Chris Elliot is Professor of Food Safety at Queen's University Belfast and founder of the Institute for Global Food Security so an actual scientist. May still have an agenda, but also has some education in the field under discussion.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Elliott_(food_scientist)

It's Christopher Kimball's podcast, which is why he was brought up when someone inquired about who produced the podcast and what their agenda was.

safe to assume he meant the guest, as he'd be the one with the agenda worth questioning in this case. the producer of the podcast's agenda is getting downloads and making money with his podcast

Given that publishers and producers can and (perhaps often) do have motives outside of making a profit, it doesn't seem safe to assume that the question "Who produced this podcast and what is their agenda?" referred to the guest. Especially since guests don't typically produce the podcasts that they're being guest interviewed on.

why would it refer to the guest. the producers are the ones who picked them. they are the ones who decide the format. the guests are interchangeable and really don't matter.

I don't think it would refer to the guest at all. That's what I was explaining to extra_medium.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    :ohnoes:

Not gonna listen to that one.

Do we really need to find something else in the food chain to worry about? I'm still alive against all odds considering what I've done to my body. I call it good genes or luck.

I remember back in the day when we worried about our pot being mixed with oregano. Now you're telling me we might have smoked strawberry leaves? The. Horror.

You smoke the Devil's Lettuce???😟 How can I trust you now? 🤔 lol

Oh, nononononono. None of that! But I was young at one point...and that was the 70s in Florida. Perhaps you know the history of your fine state?

Well you mean outside of screwing up elections, corruption, and having more armed militias than Michigan? If you happened to be in North Florida in the 70's and imbibed a type of lettuce called. Gainesville Green, you might have had some lettuce grown by my uncle... lol

I lived in Gainesville for a while in the '70s, but was more in my milk and juice boxes stage of life (although I think it was pre-juice box), so no lettuce for me!
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    Who produced this podcast and what is their agenda? Two things I always ask myself before listening or watching food related documentaries.

And in case you wanted more information about Christopher Kimball, there's copious amounts of it online. He's a well known name in terms of US cooking instruction. Not as well known as say, Julia Child, but that's a pretty high bar.

Is it Chris Kimball or Chris Elliot? Chris Kimball is a chef and tV producer with no real training in food safety.

Chris Elliot is Professor of Food Safety at Queen's University Belfast and founder of the Institute for Global Food Security so an actual scientist. May still have an agenda, but also has some education in the field under discussion.

It's Christopher Kimball's podcast, which is why he was brought up when someone inquired about who produced the podcast and what their agenda was.

safe to assume he meant the guest, as he'd be the one with the agenda worth questioning in this case. the producer of the podcast's agenda is getting downloads and making money with his podcast

Given that publishers and producers can and (perhaps often) do have motives outside of making a profit, it doesn't seem safe to assume that the question "Who produced this podcast and what is their agenda?" referred to the guest. Especially since guests don't typically produce the podcasts that they're being guest interviewed on.

why would it refer to the guest. the producers are the ones who picked them. they are the ones who decide the format. the guests are interchangeable and really don't matter.

I think this depends on the individual podcast. On some podcasts, the guests very much matter, as the podcast serves more as a forum for them to share their views. Depending on the host, there may or may not be very much pushback.

I can't speak to this show, as I've never listened to it, but just based on the description of the show, it does sound like this show is serving as a forum for this particular guest to share his research and warnings about potential food fraud.

Most podcast hosts will get guests that share their own agendas/thoughts in my experience.
  • nighthazel01
    nighthazel01 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I like me fake cardboard Parmesan cheese even if it’s half wood shavings. It bulks up my meal and is comfort food to me.
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,723 Member
    Options

Chris Elliot? He's the guy under the seats! (super old reference)
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

I think this depends on the individual podcast. On some podcasts, the guests very much matter, as the podcast serves more as a forum for them to share their views. Depending on the host, there may or may not be very much pushback.

I can't speak to this show, as I've never listened to it, but just based on the description of the show, it does sound like this show is serving as a forum for this particular guest to share his research and warnings about potential food fraud.

Most podcast hosts will get guests that share their own agendas/thoughts in my experience.

Many of them do, but I think this is different than saying that guests are interchangeable and really don't matter.

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options

but the guests are chosen by the producers. so again the producers are the ones with an agenda
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I like me fake cardboard Parmesan cheese even if it’s half wood shavings. It bulks up my meal and is comfort food to me.

Necessary roughage.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

but the guests are chosen by the producers. so again the producers are the ones with an agenda

Yes, but it's your assumption that the agenda is nefarious or somehow inappropriate.

It could be that their agenda is "Let's help people understand more about food supplies and how they may not be buying exactly what they think they are."

If you're going to automatically distrust anyone who wants to communicate anything to you, then you're sealing yourself off into a bubble. I think it's more useful to be aware that people have various agendas when they wish to communicate with us. Some of them are manipulative, some of them are trying to share information they think is useful or helpful.

You have an agenda in your comments right now, I have an agenda in mine. That someone has an agenda isn't cause for a preemptive objection. Since we all have agendas, it's a meaningless datapoint without actual evidence that someone is wrong or being misleading.

In all seriousness, what do you really think Christopher Kimball is trying to do here that is wrong?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options

You nailed it with your first post in this thread:

Luckily for you, information about the producers is easily available online. https://www.177milkstreet.com/radio

Christopher Kimball's agenda appears to be instruction in food preparation.

Yes, it's various food-related info, with an emphasis on instruction in food preparation. He and Sara Moulton take questions from callers, there's a featured recipe or two, and a guest interview or two.

The Food Fraud interview was unusual, so I thought it would be fun to share.

I also learned about the Pasta Grannies on a previous episode. Now I'm worried about the Pasta Grannies agenda... :lol:

https://www.pastagrannies.com
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options

Yes, but it's your assumption that the agenda is nefarious or somehow inappropriate.

It could be that their agenda is "Let's help people understand more about food supplies and how they may not be buying exactly what they think they are."

If you're going to automatically distrust anyone who wants to communicate anything to you, then you're sealing yourself off into a bubble. I think it's more useful to be aware that people have various agendas when they wish to communicate with us. Some of them are manipulative, some of them are trying to share information they think is useful or helpful.

You have an agenda in your comments right now, I have an agenda in mine. That someone has an agenda isn't cause for a preemptive objection. Since we all have agendas, it's a meaningless datapoint without actual evidence that someone is wrong or being misleading.

In all seriousness, what do you really think Christopher Kimball is trying to do here that is wrong?

is it my assumption? that it's nefarious?
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,981 Member
    Options

Or their agenda could even be "We need to find food-related content to fill up our podcast, and we'll try to present a range of content and ask questions to help listeners decide what, if anything, to do in response to the research."

(Disclosure: I haven't listened to this particular podcast. I'm familiar with Christopher Kimball from his ATK days. I thought he seemed to take a serious approach to food issues, but I wouldn't consider myself a fan.)
  • janejellyroll
    Options

is it my assumption? that it's nefarious?

Maybe it's not, but why else are you so concerned with their supposed agenda? There's no evidence they're doing anything except letting this academic/journalist talk about his findings around a subject that is of interest to those already following the podcast (food quality).