Have fad diets and the need for quick fixes complicated weight loss

Options
2»

Replies

• NancyLovesGermany
    Options
    I've had my best successes with enjoying the foods I like in moderation (being aware of actual portion sizes), adding more vegetables and fruits, drinking lots (and lots and lots and lots) of water, reducing salt, and monitoring my calorie intake vs output. I loathe gyms, so I strive to find exercise that I can do consistently without dreading it.

I agree with the comments that people need to find what works for them. Low carb, no sugar, intermittent fasting just hasn't worked for me, but they may work really well for others. I just encourage people to find what works for them and to pay attention to how their body responds, not just the weight, but energy levels, digestion, quality of sleep, dexterity and coordination, moods...it's so much more than weight management.
  • JoDavo66
    JoDavo66 Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I've never been one for fad diets. Looking at family history photos I can clearly see a family problem- there are 2 clear body types and I've inherited the short straw!!
    I've always had to follow a healthy eating plan- counting cals worked but it was challenging, pre-digital, so I've usef clubs with healthy plans & both Slimming World & Weight Watchers have worked as long as I stuck to them until last 4 years.

Interestingly a chat about 6 weeks ago with a new GP revealed some suggestions which are age related. Definitely do not cut out a food group but to up my protein by quite a lot (I'm pretty much vegetarian) & reduce carbs esp sugars and keep with the low fat.
    I've experimented a bit with changes & it worked. Gone off plan for 10 days and now trying to sort these changes for good. They are similar to the advice you've picked up.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Totally agree that fad diets make things complicated. Most are not sustainable. And some are actually dangerous. But I'd argue that nutrient dense plant based isn't a fad, nor is IF. These, like veganism, are long term lifestyle choices.

Eh, I don't necessarily disagree, but I think the way those diets, and keto, get talked by those pushing them is part of what makes it harder and more complicated. There are all these claims about what the best diet is and the real true way to lose weight and be healthy such that it's easy to feel like you must pick the right approach or not be doing it right, and the sheer number of claims and competing ideas makes it easy for someone looking for some quick fix (after all, everyone else seems to lose 20 lbs and go from feeling blah to amazing in 2 weeks, right?) to give up to quickly and jump to something else.

I think OP has it exactly right -- weight loss is really quite simple (if more boring than magically transforming everything immediately through diet and slower than one might like). Eat fewer cals than you burn and if you want to be healthy and want it to be sustainable, focus on a generally healthy diet with lots of veg, some fruit, enough protein, healthy fats, whole food and less processed carbs, ideally including sufficient fiber, and in the room left, whatever else you want. Don't worry if the schedule that happens to work best for you isn't the trendy one of the day (whether it be 6 mini meals or the new "IF is the best"). Don't worry about those claiming that keto is the best way or WFPB is the only way to prevent death or whatnot. Put protein at a reasonable level and figure out what feels best for YOU on the other macros, if you even feel like paying attention to them.

Can someone who otherwise WANTS to do 100% plant-based do well with it? Sure, it's an ethical choice I respect and obviously can be a good way to eat (as well as a nutrition-lacking way to eat if you do it wrong, and there are many examples of that on YouTube, as well as some of people doing it right). I'd say the same (absent the ethical choice bit) about keto, low carb, IF, whatever. Many of these strategies may well work for some or even many, but the way they are pushed as the OneTrueWay creates a dieting and health climate that makes it more difficult for people than it should be.

Personally, for health, I like this: https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2014/03/science-compared-every-diet-and-the-winner-is-real-food/284595/

For weight loss, it's really about calories and figuring out for oneself what led to the overeating in the first place and what is a sustainable diet on one's calorie goal.

Wait... HOLD THE PRESSES! A diet that promotes high plant intake, whole natural foods, reduced added sugar intake, reduced added fat intake, emphasis on leaner protein, limits hyperprocessed foods, leads to a lower adipose level over time and generally promotes weight loss? 😳 Wow.... who would have thunk it... lol... on a serious note. Protein intake per kilo in your opinion?

IMO, depends on goals. For weight loss, attempted muscle gain, or if very active, minimum of 0.65-0.8 g/lb if at a healthy weight (or based on what your healthy weight will be). That works out to 1.43-1.76 g per kilo (although more is okay, and I tend to prefer to be higher in the range since I'm a woman of a certain age). ;-)

If one were really focused on muscle gain, the high end of that range or more would likely be better, and if at a deficit and already rather lean, same, unless the deficit were pretty moderate (as, frankly, it should be).

Just for health and no deficit (or moderate deficit with lots to lose), you don't need that much, although for me it helps with overall satiety, without being the be-all, end-all.

For someone who wants to make it simple, though, I'd say MFP's goal is likely fine unless you are on the low end of the goal cals (1200 for women, 1500 for men), and then you might want more. It put me on 1200 when I started (since I incorrectly said I was sedentary) and that's only 60 g. Going to 25% or even 30% could be better if you really want to stick at the low cals.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    TimPo40 wrote: »
    Once again, all very insightful and helpful information. I think one thing that really stood out to me about the ''fad diet'' I was recently on that was off putting was the attitudes of a very vocal minority on it. Not only was it not for me personally for a number of reasons but this really bothered me and opened up my eyes to some important self discoveries. I realize that YT is only a small part of the world but it is currently flooded with people making daily videos about vegan, carnivore, keto, etc.

Again, I used the term vocal minority. However, I see so much preaching that one's personal choice is the only choice, and the other diets or life styles are junk and don't work. Even more perplexing is the sub sets within some of these where you have people saying that not only is their way superior, but that others do their way incorrectly and they will never succeed. It's all just noise and complication to me which is unnecessary and doesn't seem to provide understanding and support for others to find their way in this messed up journey.

Not only that, if something isn't for me or anyone else the idea that we need to be lectured and told we are doing it wrong and the plan is the end all be all if done properly is ridiculous. Everyone is so different. Lifestyle, age, food preferences, health issues or lack there of, etc. There is no one way of doing things other than finding whatever works for you and generally committing to work hard and make better healthier choices on a daily basis. This can mean so many different things to different people. If the thing you swear by works for you than I am happy for that person, but that by no means gives them the right or makes them correct in saying their way is the only way.

I know I'm ranting but I feel like I've had some sort of epiphany last night about where and how I have been going wrong for a few years now. I feel like I know what I have to do to get my *kitten* together and have success. If that resonates with any of you, awesome. If it doesn't, I fully respect that and hope whatever your own personal perspective is works for you. I'm justy excited because I feel like I can breathe again for the first time in a long time when it comes to food and the self imposed ''weight of the world on my shoulders''mentality that's been holding me back is gone.

Thanks again for reading and leaving your comments regardless of where they fall on this topic. At the end of the day we are all trying to find something and better ourselves for a variety of reasons and I wish everyone success and clarity now and moving forward.

Some people become very passionate about their method of success that they simply can not comprehend that others will not succeed in the same way because of either inability to comply long term or health conditions that are incompatible with those foods. It is even more confounding when they are still in the process of losing and trying to convert those that have been maintaining a loss for several years or more. Somehow their success was wrong, or a fluke or something. Personally, I'd love to see where these vocal minorities are in a few years time. My guess is that a vast majority will have regained all that weight they lost and then some.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    Once again, all very insightful and helpful information. I think one thing that really stood out to me about the ''fad diet'' I was recently on that was off putting was the attitudes of a very vocal minority on it. Not only was it not for me personally for a number of reasons but this really bothered me and opened up my eyes to some important self discoveries. I realize that YT is only a small part of the world but it is currently flooded with people making daily videos about vegan, carnivore, keto, etc.

Again, I used the term vocal minority. However, I see so much preaching that one's personal choice is the only choice, and the other diets or life styles are junk and don't work. Even more perplexing is the sub sets within some of these where you have people saying that not only is their way superior, but that others do their way incorrectly and they will never succeed. It's all just noise and complication to me which is unnecessary and doesn't seem to provide understanding and support for others to find their way in this messed up journey.

Not only that, if something isn't for me or anyone else the idea that we need to be lectured and told we are doing it wrong and the plan is the end all be all if done properly is ridiculous. Everyone is so different. Lifestyle, age, food preferences, health issues or lack there of, etc. There is no one way of doing things other than finding whatever works for you and generally committing to work hard and make better healthier choices on a daily basis. This can mean so many different things to different people. If the thing you swear by works for you than I am happy for that person, but that by no means gives them the right or makes them correct in saying their way is the only way.

I know I'm ranting but I feel like I've had some sort of epiphany last night about where and how I have been going wrong for a few years now. I feel like I know what I have to do to get my *kitten* together and have success. If that resonates with any of you, awesome. If it doesn't, I fully respect that and hope whatever your own personal perspective is works for you. I'm justy excited because I feel like I can breathe again for the first time in a long time when it comes to food and the self imposed ''weight of the world on my shoulders''mentality that's been holding me back is gone.

Thanks again for reading and leaving your comments regardless of where they fall on this topic. At the end of the day we are all trying to find something and better ourselves for a variety of reasons and I wish everyone success and clarity now and moving forward.

Some people become very passionate about their method of success that they simply can not comprehend that others will not succeed in the same way because of either inability to comply long term or health conditions that are incompatible with those foods. It is even more confounding when they are still in the process of losing and trying to convert those that have been maintaining a loss for several years or more. Somehow their success was wrong, or a fluke or something. Personally, I'd love to see where these vocal minorities are in a few years time. My guess is that a vast majority will have regained all that weight they lost and then some.

And pushing their newest, latest, greatest diet.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »

I call it a novelty high. I can understand where they're coming from, but for a lot of them the high wears off and it starts to sink in that they have to do this forever.
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    With many of the Fad Diets, and why people flock to them repeatedly. Many not all, but many promise quick results, with little to no work on the persons part. Those just make me laugh. And oh the numbers of them I tried decades ago, I should be slapped for.

I did not wake up one day, and say gee where did all this weight come from, it took time for it to get to the all time high number. So each person has to go through the cycle of really getting it. That no matter how they choose to lose the weight, it is going to be a long haul journey. And I really think that has much to do with why so many jump at all of the FAD Diets, they want it gone like yesterday. And to really be successful we also need to learn phase 1 losing the weight, phase 2 transitioning to maintaining the weight loss. Now to me I am still on phase 1, but spend lots of time thinking about phase 2.

Now for me what has been working, and I have been keeping it off, and most people would run screaming the other way and I even understand why. I have switched to Low Carb, no not Keto but Low Carb. Which is where I wil stay for the rest of my life. Why, well as a 20 year type 2 Diabetic, losing weight became super important for health, as well as pounds. To get the diabetes under control, and all blood lipids as well. For me, Low Carb was the answer.
    But along with that has been exercise. I have read where people say they want to lose weight and not exercise. I am like, at first it is really damn hard to move much when you have lots to lose. But if there is not a health reason that you cannot move, then over time, the best thing we can do for ourselves is to start to move more. Many people still do not want to accept that as a proven fact.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options

It sounds like you've come to a much more helpful (for yourself) mindset about this now, and I'm sure you will make great progress. I've been nodding along to many of the things you've said.
  • New_Heavens_Earth
    New_Heavens_Earth Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Keeping things simple is helpful. But there's a lot of information overload, and the temptation to try everything at once to get the weight off yesterday. Resulting in burnout, impatience, discouragement, or overanalyzing and doing nothing.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    People are crazy.

:lol: The answer to most everything.

I take offense to that.... I'm psychotic....🤨