January 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Replies

• quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,885 Member
    @rheddmobile Great accomplishments for 2019! Here's to an injury free 2020!

@Teresa502 I'll register later today.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    @Elise4270 !!!! I SAW THOSE AND I WANT THEM! You'll have to keep us posted on how they are! And how the stability is!

@PastorVincent - YES. I've seen over and over the Gel Kayano recommendation, all over the internet. I may have to get those next for road running but I will need to exercise some self control before I just go out and go nuts on shoes. Plus. I need new socks too. Bombas or Balegas are where I'm headed for that, but I can only get like A pair or two at a time.

@Avidkeo @shanaber and everyone else - So if I was last fitted and had my feet scanned in 2017 - is that good enough? Does gait change? I'd assume it probably does because the more we run, the better we get - our form and technique and stride and pace change as we progress within the activity.

Also - interestingly - I read an article yesterday that people who overpronate don't actually NEED stability shoes because the body adapts to the rolling on the ankle anyway. I also read that the problem is more with form and technique than it is with the feet, so controlling those things is more effective. Like with everything else, there are arguments for and against this school of thought, all backed by research, so I'll just have to go with what works for my body specifically. Funny how I got online to find new shoes yesterday and now I'm a textbook for how the feet and legs and knees move when women run....

Did not run yesterday - had to go to a friend's wedding. Won't run tonight - ice skating with the kids. Won't run tomorrow - taking the kids to their dad's after work.

So Saturday it is!

The simple shoe truth is, and this is backed by research, the shoe that is most comfortable when you run - regardless of style, cost, etc - is the best shoe for you and will do the best job to prevent injury. Does not matter if that shoe is a major brand that costs $$$$$$ or brand-x blue light special that is funny looking and smells a bit off.

But, as many have said, the only way to get there is to try shoes on and go run. Expert shoe store employees can sometimes help speed the search, but ultimately you have to wear the shoe. :smile:
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    ajhouse wrote: »
    I guess I am going to jump in, my goal is definitely small to begin with. Aiming to get 20 miles in January.

I started jogging back in 2013 while losing weight and had gotten half way (?) through C25K and found out I was pregnant. I didn't stick with it during pregnancy but did a little after she was born. Did a Color Me Rad 5K, but did more walking than anything bc I was doing it with another new mommy. Baby #2 was born in Sept 2016 and I have done a little jogging off and on since.
    Lost 45 lbs last year and have been in my goal weight range for the past couple of months. I have decided it is time to work on toning and get back to jogging.

Welcome!
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    edited January 2020
    @Elise4270 !!!! I SAW THOSE AND I WANT THEM! You'll have to keep us posted on how they are! And how the stability is!

@PastorVincent - YES. I've seen over and over the Gel Kayano recommendation, all over the internet. I may have to get those next for road running but I will need to exercise some self control before I just go out and go nuts on shoes. Plus. I need new socks too. Bombas or Balegas are where I'm headed for that, but I can only get like A pair or two at a time.

@Avidkeo @shanaber and everyone else - So if I was last fitted and had my feet scanned in 2017 - is that good enough? Does gait change? I'd assume it probably does because the more we run, the better we get - our form and technique and stride and pace change as we progress within the activity.

Also - interestingly - I read an article yesterday that people who overpronate don't actually NEED stability shoes because the body adapts to the rolling on the ankle anyway. I also read that the problem is more with form and technique than it is with the feet, so controlling those things is more effective. Like with everything else, there are arguments for and against this school of thought, all backed by research, so I'll just have to go with what works for my body specifically. Funny how I got online to find new shoes yesterday and now I'm a textbook for how the feet and legs and knees move when women run....

Did not run yesterday - had to go to a friend's wedding. Won't run tonight - ice skating with the kids. Won't run tomorrow - taking the kids to their dad's after work.

So Saturday it is!

Regarding form and technique, I spoke with a podiatrist friend about that and she said you don't have a lot of control over your feet and ankles. You can alter your gait to land mid foot, or forefoot, or heel, but that's about it.

For me I have flat feet. That's the main reason I over pronate. Not much you can do about that except stability shoes - and my podiatrist friend said that the Gel Kayano are the best for that situation. It was nice to have a foot expert confirm what the shoe experts were telling me. Reading and researching is excellent, and encouraged, however don't make the mistake of thinking your research can replace the experts advice who actually study in depth and work with people every day. You will also find research that can convince you that running barefoot is absolutely the best and only way to run, and it's what humans were designed to do, but that research is for a very specific person, ignores what a lot of the population find (pain and actual disability if they follow it to the letter). If I ran barefoot and thought I just needed to harden up, I would actually eventually rupture the ligament in my foot, and never be able to run, or walk, properly again because it can't be repaired.

So yeah your sentence about doing what works best for your body is so accurate.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,454 Member
    I love seeing the lists of planned races!

Here are mine:

2/8 - Valentine's Day TC 5K

3/21 - Hot Dash 10m

5/2 - Willow trail 20m

5/7 - TC 1m

5/17 - City Trails Half Marathon

6/20 - Grandma's Marathon

7/4 - Red, White, & Boom Half Marathon

9/19 - Surly Trail Half Marathon

10/4 - TC Marathon

12/5 - St. Jude's Half Marathon

@janejellyroll based on your race list, we're practically neighbors! Here's mine:

2020 Races

01/11/2020 - St Croix Winter Ultra (Volunteer)
    01/25/2020 - Securian Half Marathon - St. Paul, MN
    02/22/2020 - Pyscho Wyco 50K - Kansas City, MO
    04/10/2020 - Zumbro Endurance Run (Volunteer)
    07/11/2020 - Eugene Curnow Trail Marathon - Carlton, MN
    07/25/2020 - Riverboat Days River Run 10K - Wabasha, MN
    09/05/2020 - Outrun Homelessness 5K - Savage, MN
    09/12/2020 - Superior Fall Trail Marathon
    09/26/2020 - In Yan Teopa 10M - Frontenac, MN
    10/04/2020 - Medtronic TC 10 Mile - Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN
    10/10/2020 - Heartland 100M - Cassoday, KS
    10/17/2020 - Wild Duluth 100K - Duluth, MN
    10/24/2020 - Glacier Hills Ultra 50K - Sioux Falls, SD or Surf the Murph 50M - Savage, MN
    12/05/2020 - Alternate Chili 10M Trail Race - Kansas City, KS

Registered
    Planned but not yet registered

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    I love seeing the lists of planned races!

Here are mine:

2/8 - Valentine's Day TC 5K

3/21 - Hot Dash 10m

5/2 - Willow trail 20m

5/7 - TC 1m

5/17 - City Trails Half Marathon

6/20 - Grandma's Marathon

7/4 - Red, White, & Boom Half Marathon

9/19 - Surly Trail Half Marathon

10/4 - TC Marathon

12/5 - St. Jude's Half Marathon

@janejellyroll based on your race list, we're practically neighbors! Here's mine:

2020 Races

01/11/2020 - St Croix Winter Ultra (Volunteer)
    01/25/2020 - Securian Half Marathon - St. Paul, MN
    02/22/2020 - Pyscho Wyco 50K - Kansas City, MO
    04/10/2020 - Zumbro Endurance Run (Volunteer)
    07/11/2020 - Eugene Curnow Trail Marathon - Carlton, MN
    07/25/2020 - Riverboat Days River Run 10K - Wabasha, MN
    09/05/2020 - Outrun Homelessness 5K - Savage, MN
    09/12/2020 - Superior Fall Trail Marathon
    09/26/2020 - In Yan Teopa 10M - Frontenac, MN
    10/04/2020 - Medtronic TC 10 Mile - Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN
    10/10/2020 - Heartland 100M - Cassoday, KS
    10/17/2020 - Wild Duluth 100K - Duluth, MN
    10/24/2020 - Glacier Hills Ultra 50K - Sioux Falls, SD or Surf the Murph 50M - Savage, MN
    12/05/2020 - Alternate Chili 10M Trail Race - Kansas City, KS

Registered
    Planned but not yet registered

We're absolutely in the same neck of the woods! Glad to know I'm not the only person training in the snow. :)
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member

I have a pair of them now. They are a few years old always hold up to yard work, mud, puddles and machine washings. I like them, other than the pods collecting rocks and acorns. I have some hip impingement that makes it difficult to get to the bottom of my shoe. I put up with it because do like them. They make me cuss though. Dang rocks.

I have narrow feet. I have a pair of A width boots that I can still put on and take off without unzipping, so I'm probably an AA width. I have high arches and the aforementioned hip issues. My nice tennis shoes, all birds, cause me to catch the toe occasionally as if they were to big. But I think its the fit and my hip issues, er tendency to turn my foot inwards. No such problems in the On’s. I hate now expensive they are, but they appear to be my shoe.

Dh has 2 pair, I don't think he liked them and went back to his adidas.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,885 Member
    @Teresa502 I signed up and requested to be on your RTY team. I'm not real computer savvy, so it wasn't intuitively obvious how to do it, but I did, I think.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    @Teresa502 I signed up and requested to be on your RTY team. I'm not real computer savvy, so it wasn't intuitively obvious how to do it, but I did, I think.
    I just accepted your request to join the team! Yay!