How to Hard Boil an Egg?

Options
I know this seems like a dumb question... but I cannot get it right... and googling has so many theories its ridiculous... I spend 45 minutes peeling shell off my eggs and take half the egg with it... and its getting annoying!

Any tips?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i just make sure i tap it on the counter top loads, so the shell is all broken up before u start peeling it off!
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Put the eggs in cold water. Bring to boil. Turn off heat and cover. Leave for 15 minutes. Then put in sink and replace hot water with cold water with a whole tray of ice cubes.

The cold bath causes the egg inside the shell to contract and then you can take the shell off very easy.
  • gel91
    gel91 Posts: 309
    Options
    I think the colder they are the easier they peel??

Or maybe the other way around lol, when do you usually do them, maybe wait a little longer
  • JoHola
    JoHola Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I tap it on the work top and then peel it under running water. Seems to work for me :happy:
  • vsyates
    vsyates Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I've always heard that if the egg is very fresh when you boil it the shell sticks to the egg when peeling it. I put my eggs into the water, bring to a boil, remove from heat, and let them sit in the hot water for 20 mins. I use extra large eggs and this works for me.
  • carymi30
    Options
    I eat them all the time. I know how you feel. I havent figured anything out except the fact that when I first buy eggs they are the hardest ones to peel. So I try to stock up on eggs and boil the oldest ones. I know that sounds bad but I dont mean expired eggs just the ones in the fridge that I have had the longest and they peel very well. Sorry Im not much help but I will follow this so I can maybe get some ideas mysylf!
  • NaomiLyn15
    NaomiLyn15 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Putthe egg in a pan
    Fill so water covers the egg
    Place on high burner
    Immediately set a tuner for 20 min
    When 20 min is up, rinse eggs under cold water until they are warm to the touch
    Peel eggs

They should be perfect everytime. The key is to cool them until they are just warm, not cold
  • mamax5
    mamax5 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    OK...try this put your eggs in cold water and once they get to a rapid boil cover and remove from heat and let set for 18 minutes. Then put your eggs in ice cold water and then try to peel them. If your still having trouble peeling the shell run it under a light stream of cold water. That should work!
  • BeLightYear
    BeLightYear Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    Put the eggs in cold water. Bring to boil. Turn off heat and cover. Leave for 15 minutes. Then put in sink and replace hot water with cold water with a whole tray of ice cubes.

The cold bath causes the egg inside the shell to contract and then you can take the shell off very easy.

Works perfect every time!
  • NaomiLyn15
    NaomiLyn15 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Putthe egg in a pan
    Fill so water covers the egg
    Place on high burner
    Immediately set a tuner for 20 min
    When 20 min is up, rinse eggs under cold water until they are warm to the touch
    Peel eggs

They should be perfect everytime. The key is to cool them until they are just warm, not cold

Timer not tuner. Silly auto correct
  • dez_yaoichan
    Options
    i boil until i get a crack in the shell. then i put them in cool water while i work on peeling. i make sure to bang mine on the counter until its all broken as well. peels off very nice. (i dont leave any piece of shell bigger then a penny) also, i peel them under water.
  • jfinnivan
    jfinnivan Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Boil a pot of water. Once it starts boiling, drop in the egg(s). Using a kitchen timer, wait 13 minutes. When the time is up, drain the boiling water out, and fill the pot with cold water. Crack the eggs so water gets under the shell. When the egg has cooled enough to handle, roll it on the counter so it cracks all the way around. Hold the egg in the water in the pot, and peel the shell off.
  • suse75
    Options
    cold water always does the trick. if yuo have fresh eggs though, they are the hardest to peel, regardless of what you do. After I soak mine in cold water, I hit 1-2 times on counter to crack the shell, then I roll the egg on the counter with a little force to 'shatter' the rest of the shell.
  • radicalreader
    radicalreader Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Put eggs in saucepan with just enough cold water to cover.
    Bring to a roiling boil.
    Boil one minute.
    Cover and remove from heat.
    Let eggs sit for 20 minutes in the hot water.
    Immediately drain the hot water. Fill the pan with ice and then top off with cold water.
    Let sit until eggs are totally cold. I usually forget about it and come back later.

Also, older eggs peel easier than fresh eggs. Trust me, grew up on a farm.
  • MJLavaty
    MJLavaty Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    http://www.incredibleegg.org/recipes-and-more/recipes/basic-hardboiled-eggs

This works great. Make sure its a rapid boil before you cover or add an extra minute on the time. Sometimes I find a tiny amount of yellow that isn't cooked through to my liking. Best boiled eggs ever though and no gray!
  • MelanieB1979
    Options
    I've always been told that the older the egg is, the better it works. Bring to a boil, I boil for a few minutes and then leave them in the water for a while. I always add vinegar to the water before boiling too.
  • bada_bing
    bada_bing Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I've always heard that if the egg is very fresh when you boil it the shell sticks to the egg when peeling it. I put my eggs into the water, bring to a boil, remove from heat, and let them sit in the hot water for 20 mins. I use extra large eggs and this works for me.

New fresh egg always stick to shells, buy and wait for 3 or so days before boiling!!

dk
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    I salt the water when I am going to boil eggs. I bring the water and eggs to a boil for one minute. Then remove from heat and cover with a lid until the water cools. You get perfect eggs. To peel, I smash the big end and then run them under cold water while peeling.
  • stresco
    stresco Posts: 354 Member
    Options

I agree... This is the best way to do it. Going from very hot water to very cold water quickly causes the egg to contract and pull away from the shell.
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    Water to boil. Drop in eggs. Reduce heat to slow boil. Cook for 16 minutes. Fill pan in sink with cold water. While eggs are still hot with water running crack shell hold under running water and pop shell with thumb pressure (slight squeeze). Shell should come right off.

Works for me everytime.

Good Luck getting at those lovey protein bombs... :flowerforyou: