A new runner

Options
Hey guys, happy new year to MFP fellas. I recently joined this app, it's December actually, and am hoping to join the running team. I've never done this before (morning jog) and i kinda feel nervous about it all cos nobody jogs in the morning where i stay and there's no gym around here (all my equipments were literally bought, my home is practically my gym😪). Anyways, i really do hope to join the running team and not always cycling and weight lifting. So, if there are any tips on how i should get started or what i should look out for during my run please do tell, I'll really appreciate your responses, thank you😁

Replies

• Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    Welcome! My gym is in my home. I love it. It’s always open, I never have to wait for equipment and the TV/music is always something I like.

As for running, I suggest starting with couch 25k. There are roughly 284995960605 apps to chose from-any of them are fine. The program takes you from walking to running 30 minutes over the course of 9 weeks.

I also suggest going to a running store and getting fitted for shoes. It seems silly, you can buy sneakers anywhere. But running shoes come in a lot of varieties and which one works for you will be based on the shape of your foot (size, how narrow in what places, arch, how you move, etc). Wearing the “wrong” shoes can be uncomfortable, painful or even cause injury.

As for what to watch out for-at this time of year, make sure you are very visible (well-any time of year but especially when it’s dark all the time and the roads may be slippery/high snow banks).

Go slow. Have fun. No pressure. Enjoy the journey!
  • Jassaph
    Jassaph Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much. Am really digging into those running shoes. Guess i need to go shop for a new one. Got lots of sneakers in my closet but my heart can't bear to use those for running🤣
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Jassaph wrote: »
    Thank you so much. Am really digging into those running shoes. Guess i need to go shop for a new one. Got lots of sneakers in my closet but my heart can't bear to use those for running🤣

Your heart is leading you in the right direction. Running in improper or poorly fitted shoes raises your risk of injury. Go to a running store and get professionally fitted for shoes.
  • Jassaph
    Options
    apullum wrote: »

Your heart is leading you in the right direction. Running in improper or poorly fitted shoes raises your risk of injury. Go to a running store and get professionally fitted for shoes.

OK, thank you
  • Jassaph
    Options
    Welcome! My gym is in my home. I love it. It’s always open, I never have to wait for equipment and the TV/music is always something I like.

As for running, I suggest starting with couch 25k. There are roughly 284995960605 apps to chose from-any of them are fine. The program takes you from walking to running 30 minutes over the course of 9 weeks.

I also suggest going to a running store and getting fitted for shoes. It seems silly, you can buy sneakers anywhere. But running shoes come in a lot of varieties and which one works for you will be based on the shape of your foot (size, how narrow in what places, arch, how you move, etc). Wearing the “wrong” shoes can be uncomfortable, painful or even cause injury.

As for what to watch out for-at this time of year, make sure you are very visible (well-any time of year but especially when it’s dark all the time and the roads may be slippery/high snow banks).

But can i ask, what's "couch 25k"?
  • Duck_Puddle
    Options

It is a 9 week plan that takes you from walking 30 minutes to running 30 minutes. You’ll do a run/walk workout 3 times a week and the plan gradually increases the portion that you run (and decreases the portion you walk) and at the end, you’ll be running 30 minutes straight.

It’s a great plan for starting to run.

Google couch to 5k or search for an app (if you have a smartphone).

• Jassaph
    Options

It is a 9 week plan that takes you from walking 30 minutes to running 30 minutes. You’ll do a run/walk workout 3 times a week and the plan gradually increases the portion that you run (and decreases the portion you walk) and at the end, you’ll be running 30 minutes straight.

It’s a great plan for starting to run.

Google couch to 5k or search for an app (if you have a smartphone).

Yes, just searched for it and i found a zen labs app, i just downloaded it. Thank you once more😊
  • chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    So, if there are any tips on how i should get started or what i should look out for during my run please do tell, I'll really appreciate your responses,

Great. I wanted to run fast. But I was 100 lbs. overweight. What has worked out well for me was changing my thinking to I am on a project to lose 100lbs and J will include running as a part if it.

I realized being middle-aged and 100 lbs overweight that I needed a hard and fast rule: Don't hurt yourself.

So I want to contribute to my weightloss program by mixing in some running. And I know I am susceptible to injuring myself by overdoing it.

I try to stay very relaxed, run very slow, and enjoy it in small doses. Run in a nice place. Run with nice people. Get some nice running shoes. Make it a good process. Then let more healthy eating, more healthy and happy running take you to whatever level of fitness or goals that you have.
  • bemnet1988
    bemnet1988 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    do you have a running watch like Garmin?
  • Jassaph
    Options
    bemnet1988 wrote: »

No, i don't have that. Is it important?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Not at all. Some runners like having more data, but there's always time to get one later if you crave that. I began running without any kind of GPS or tracker at all, just a regular watch to let me know how long I'd run (and even that isn't required). Later on, I began using GPS apps on my phone to understand how far I was going, and then I finally got a watch.

If you want to begin experimenting with an app on your phone, MapMyRun and Strava are two free ones that I've used and liked (I use Strava right now). It can help you understand how fast you're going and how far you've run. But again, that's only necessary if you want that information.
  • Codefox
    Codefox Posts: 308 Member
    Options

Nah. Start with just time for now. Over a decade ago I decided to start running. I could make the end of my block. Now I do marathons. It's a journey best started slowly 8)
  • chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options

It can be a lot of fun. My Garmin and the other people running with Garmins makea it more transparent and supportive.

So people get overwhelmed with gadgets though. So it is NOT important, but if you are interested it can be a great addition.

Garmin Vivoactive 3 are fantastic, and as it is last years model you can pick one up for a song.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,678 Member
    Options
    I didn't get a Garmin until I had been running for about 3 years. I started doing some races, discovered that they were a lot of fun, and wanted to know how I was doing while I was racing. Other runners didn't appreciate me asking them how fast we were going;-) Until then, it was enough to know how far I was going every day so I used mapmyrun to figure it out afterwards. You can also run by time, say 30 minutes every other day to start. Keep your pace slow and easy. You will get faster over time just by being consistent in running often. Pushing yourself hard will lead to injury, so keep the pace as easy as you can.
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I'm a technological idiot and just use an app on my phone, distance is enough for me.

My top tips - for women a good sports bra can make it a much happier experience!

See if you can find a local race in about 3 months, a 5k fun run or something, I find having a goal really helpful.

This may depend on where you'll be running, obviously you have to risk assess. But headphones are important for me, I'll happily run for hours with a good audio book to listen to.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Options
    I'm a technological idiot and just use an app on my phone, distance is enough for me.

My top tips - for women a good sports bra can make it a much happier experience!

See if you can find a local race in about 3 months, a 5k fun run or something, I find having a goal really helpful.

This may depend on where you'll be running, obviously you have to risk assess. But headphones are important for me, I'll happily run for hours with a good audio book to listen to.

Very true on the sports bra.

And I’ve found bone conduction/open ear headphones to be a fantastic compromise. I can hear everything around me and carry on conversations while my music is playing. I don’t play it very loud anyway, but they make a big difference in my environmental awareness.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    You absolutely do not need to go buy a Garmin unless you just want one. There are many free smartphone apps that work perfectly well to get you started. Heck, I’ve been running for five years now and I don’t have a Garmin.

The only things you really MUST have are professionally fitted shoes, and a supportive sports bra for people who wear bras. It’s also good to have moisture wicking socks to prevent blisters, as well as whatever clothing is needed for the weather where you live.

If you love running and want to keep it up, there are all kinds of optional but nice to have things. I would personally recommend wireless earbuds/headphones that can be worn safely (I wear only one earbud), moisture wicking shirts (most of mine are from races), and a Flipbelt for carrying things like your phone and keys. But I would not buy that stuff until you know whether you want to stick with running long term.
  • Jassaph
    Options

Thank you, i just jogged a little this morning to the hill behind my house and i was really feeling uncomfortable with the bra i had on therefore i had to go back and do a cardio exercise. I already had this in mind. Thank you
  • Jassaph
    Options

It can be a lot of fun. My Garmin and the other people running with Garmins makea it more transparent and supportive.

So people get overwhelmed with gadgets though. So it is NOT important, but if you are interested it can be a great addition.

Garmin Vivoactive 3 are fantastic, and as it is last years model you can pick one up for a song.

Thank you Chris, I'll use mapmyfitness app first for my run then buy Garmin later on, who knows😂😂