Fresh start 2020

Options
Hi everyone (happy new year/decade),

I'm not new to the app, but I've never used the forum before. So, hello.😊

A little about me: I'm unfortunately the type who makes a great start at something new, commits and sticks to it. However, somewhere along the way, I fall off the wagon. Instead of getting up and trying again, I give up. I lose the reason for doing it the first time I fail and I can't seem to recover the reason why I attempted in the first place, as I feel like all I'll do is fail.
This has affected me in multiple aspects of my life besides my weight.

I have 10 stone (140 lb) to lose before I can get down to a healthy weight. But I'm honestly terrified. I've never been at a healthy weight in all my teenage/adult years and I have no idea if it's honestly possible for me. In fact, I can't imagine it. Hence why I give up - yet I want/need it so badly. I want a fresh start and to take control of my life.

Although I've used the app in the past, you can probably guess that I've stopped several times to having given up on a goal. But with this new year, I want a new me that lasts longer than January or February.

How do I begin my journey and sustain it?
What helps you get back up and continue when you've fallen off you journey?

Replies

• JoDavo66
    JoDavo66 Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I'm similar.
    Now finding hard to even maintain let alone loose as I've older- my metabolism is slowing!!

I made some changes at the start of last month which were great- a GP recommendation but totally tripped up after Christmas. Pressed reset this morning.

I've given myself some major goals and then for January looked at some small changes towards them. I haven't quite got today right with my macros goal but there's another 30 days to try & make that routine along with more water & more sleep!! I'll re-evaluate at end of month. Little steps towards a big goal.
    Hope this works for you. That's what I'm trying.
  • ytolleson
    ytolleson Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you. This is my third time back. I give up all the time because I never seem to have any help, so the motivation is not there. I like what Joanna said about taking little steps.
  • Winnie45
    Winnie45 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. This year I feel very motivated but started the year with the end of a cold. I'm better this morning so I'm going to make it my official New Year of fixing some bad patterns. It seems every time I quit trying and then come back I've put on another 5 pounds.

So for me, I have to strike while the iron is hot. While I'm feeling motivated and ready I've got to jump right in and try to start all the the habits I hope to create. I imagine I'll fail at some but every little bit helps. Maybe the best ones will stick?!

Anyhow, I'm about to walk the puppy. Today that will be 2 miles. I'll try to keep the pace at 3 mph. It's hard because he wants me to throw sticks and we have to stop when cars go by. Afterward I hope to get straight to yardwork then have a late morning breakfast. I want to try intermittent fasting for a while. Maybe 16:8 for the first week. I'm also keen to begin weight training. Something for beginners. I'll look at YouTube.

• HaCee75
    HaCee75 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I am the same. I have started and failed so many times I have lost count. As soon as I fall off the wagon I give up. I need to lose about 150-175 lbs. That’s seems so impossible. That’s why I always quit. But I am going to take it 10 lbs at a time. That is more doable. My daughter is gluten intolerant so I am going to cut back on carbs, especially breads and pasta since she can’t have those. That will help keep me motivated. I need friends on here to help too😊 together we can do this!!!

Last night instead of going to the kitchen to eat I came to my home office and road 2 miles on my stationery bike.

Best wishes everyone in this new year/decades. Let’s make it b the best ever!!!
  • Winnie45
    Options
    Update: Thwarted already 😊. But only slightly. I began my walk at a good clip but then joined a neighbor and her dog. So I did do a bit more than 2 miles but at a slower speed. I don't mind - it's all good. The weather isn't cooperating for yardwork so I'll get straight to finding a good beginning weight training plan.
    HaCee, I love that plan of doing something active instead of hitting the kitchen! Any distraction works. I may pull out the old Nordic track in place of the yardwork.
  • cmariemac11
    cmariemac11 Posts: 1 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Hello!
    This is my 3rd time trying this app. The first time was very unsuccessful. The second time, my husband and I did it together and lost 20lbs each. We lived in IL and the weather was terrible last winter! We sadly gave up our stride.

Third times the charm?!? I hope so!

This time I’m on my own and not telling people. I’ve reflected on the last decade and it was wonderful. I reconnected with a high school friend, we got married, had a baby, traveled, and graduated college!! We just moved from IL to AZ in July, and I’m looking forward to starting a new chapter, a new decade of happiness!

In 2020, my 20 year High school reunion will take place, and my cousin is getting married. I would love to return to Chicago looking AND feeling better than I have in a while!! I hope to make some great connections here and keep each other motivated!
  • carmexaldewin87
    carmexaldewin87 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this! I did very well on Keto and dropped almost 30 pounds in 2 months...quickly gained it back. I started again and after two weeks, I'm really evaluating if it's sustainable. I've lost 100 pounds in a year without it before...just watching my calories and exercising occasionally. Keto and lowcarb seem SO restricting and it's honestly depressing, causing sabotages. I feel like maybe it's just best to watch calories and find substitutions but not forever and no food off limits. It's too much!
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 41,074 Member
    Options
    I have been on and off this site since 2009....I now have 125 lbs to lose .....2019 was not very kind to me ....I was hospitalized for 9 days ...I found out I am type 2 diabetic ...I have a hernia for the 2nd time ....I had 3 kidney stone surgeries and I fractured my foot in 2 places ....2020 will be a better year for me ...I am going back on Keto this weekend ....I have worked out 2 days in a row ....WE CAN DO THIS .....take baby steps and keeping doing those steps ...wishing you much success :) Feel free to add me
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this! I did very well on Keto and dropped almost 30 pounds in 2 months...quickly gained it back. I started again and after two weeks, I'm really evaluating if it's sustainable. I've lost 100 pounds in a year without it before...just watching my calories and exercising occasionally. Keto and lowcarb seem SO restricting and it's honestly depressing, causing sabotages. I feel like maybe it's just best to watch calories and find substitutions but not forever and no food off limits. It's too much!

It sounds like keto just isn't for you, and that's fine. There's nothing magical about it in terms of weight loss, no added benefit above any other form of weight control unless it helps with adhering to your calorie allowance. Some people find it very satiating, others don't. Sustainability is key.
  • Winnie45
    Options
    Day 2 already!
    Yesterday I did indeed use HaCee's idea of distraction - I got out my old Nordic track (after over 3 years😁). I did 20 minutes since the weather kept me inside. I thought I'd be sore but not so much. I feel it but not too badly.

Diet wise I did well. I didn't eat until 10 am or so and stopped after 6. So 8 hours of eating. I was going to be under calories but it ended up being Thursday. I was sure it was Wednesday. Darn holidays! We go out with friends on Thursday. Luckily my dh chose Olive Garden. I had already seen ads for low calorie options. I had chicken picatta, the early diners portion. The evening portion is 560 calories or so so I know it's lower than that.

I didn't choose a weight lifting plan yet. That dinner plan snuck up on me. Today is supposed to be rain again so I'll try to get started before my late breakfast.

Overall, the scale was down this morning and I still feel super motivated. I'm putting yesterday in the success column.

How about you guys? Is everyone off to a wonderful start or did life throw out little roadblocks? If it's the later, I hope you go around or over them and get back to the successful 2020 trail. I just know this is going to be a notable year! 2020 - it sounds like something big.
  • LeanneCutrara
    LeanneCutrara Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone and Happy New Year! I'm a double tracker at this point with MFP and Weight Watchers.. I always have great intentions to just be healthy, but fall off the wagon so often. This year I am committed to becoming healthier and making better choices and live life... This is a true journey.
  • Blshumway2010
    Blshumway2010 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I have used this app more than once, have tried WW, Slim Fast, Low Carb and have never lost more than a few pounds and NEVER kept if off. I was doing good and staying on track after starting again last summer but fell off when my husband lost his job for 3 months. When he got back to work I was up 30lbs and so angry with myself. I gave my self through the holidays because I knew getting back on track was going to be hard at the time. I did manage to go down 5lbs during the holidays so hoping that is a sign of good things to come. 3 days in and I have been 👇 calories the first 2 and followed my planned excercises for each h day including today already.

Wishing everyone else the best of luck reaching their goals in 2020.