January 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Camaramandy648
    Camaramandy648 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    So this might be fun. I will try to update occasionally with my coach has for me to do - verse what I actually do.

This is my "light introduction week"

Reminder: Goal is BQ in Spring of 2021.

DAY :: PLAN :: ACTUAL
    Monday :: REST :: REST
    Tuesday :: Easy 8 Miles :: Easy 10 Miles :)
    Wednesday :: REST :: REST
    Thursday :: Easy 9 Miles :: Easy 10 Miles :)
    Friday :: REST :: TBD
    Saturday :: Easy 11 Miles :: TBD
    Sunday :: Recovery 5 Miles :: TBD

Not formated great. Not sure how to do it better. Hopefully legible.

At work i am the queen of tracking information, costs, projections, numbers, probability... i wonder if a spreadsheet would transfer into this forum
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    @katharmonic I hope your gym buddy will be okay. Thinking of you.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    So this might be fun. I will try to update occasionally with my coach has for me to do - verse what I actually do.

This is my "light introduction week"

Reminder: Goal is BQ in Spring of 2021.

DAY :: PLAN :: ACTUAL
    Monday :: REST :: REST
    Tuesday :: Easy 8 Miles :: Easy 10 Miles :)
    Wednesday :: REST :: REST
    Thursday :: Easy 9 Miles :: Easy 10 Miles :)
    Friday :: REST :: TBD
    Saturday :: Easy 11 Miles :: TBD
    Sunday :: Recovery 5 Miles :: TBD

Not formated great. Not sure how to do it better. Hopefully legible.

At work i am the queen of tracking information, costs, projections, numbers, probability... i wonder if a spreadsheet would transfer into this forum

Only if I paste it as a picture I think.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    YOU GUYS! AND LADIES!

THE STORIES ON THE RUN THE EDGE / RUN THE YEAR FACEBOOK PAGE ARE ABSOLUTELY AWE INSPIRING!

I feel like Forrest Gump “I just felt like runnang...”

But THESE people are running with such purpose and there is so much depth and authenticity to what they are doing. And for them it’s so much more WORK.

I feel like I have taken my working legs for granted and I am more inspired by what they are doing than what I am doing.

So when it gets hard, I’m going to remind myself to be grateful and that I should show some respect for the ones struggling more than me and at the very least, give it everything I’ve got.

Aw suppose I could creep and see if there is anyone else with a bad hip and a rod. Fake leg would be motivation too.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    @mbaker566 Your girl is so cute! She does look ready to run.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    @mbaker566 Your girl is so cute! She does look ready to run.

she was very upset we were standing still. our job is to run. pictures are not running :wink:
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,390 Member
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    I'm so peeved.

Our local sporting chain is having a huge sale on shoes. I checked it out.

Mens asics gel kayano, over 40% off, so only 149 down from 279! Women's gel kayano, same price. Wtf.

And of course no mens in my size. Sigh.

Did you ask them why the women's were not on sale too? Maybe they were a more current model and the sale one was sold out?
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,970 Member
    Options
    Today was a walk or XT day, so I did a 3 mile treadmill walk while watching TV. Anyone want to guess based on the Tenth Day of Christmas (below) what I was watching?

exercise.png

On the Tenth Day of Christmas,
    My workout let me see,
    Ten alien spacecraft,
    Nine minutes running,
    Eight hours with family,
    Seven thoughts of quitting,
    Six children sleeping,
    Five hills to run,
    Four falling leaves,
    Three black cows,
    Two tractor tracks,
    And a sweet bouncing boxer puppy.
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Sorry for duplicate post; I had to do it from my phone:
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    LoveyChar wrote: »
    Never purchased an energy gel in my life, until today... I've also never purchased a protein bar in my life, either, but I'm going to pick up some of those this weekend. I got a "fanny pack" now so I can stash stuff in it for long runs and ditch my husband's army camelback now. I'm doing the 18 on Sunday and I'll need all the help I can get. Any and all advice is welcome, if you have any. I'll attach my training plan...

@LoveyChar be sure to drink water with the gel. Most gels are so thick that water is needed to dilute them enough to allow the body to digest them easily. My preference is for isotonic gels which aren't as thick and sweet and don't require water. Basically the water needed is already in the packet. They're bigger because of that but much easier to consume, less sticky, and to me, taste much better. The only isotonic gel I know of is Science in Sports.

It takes about 30 minutes to get the carbs from your stomach to your muscles as energy, so there's no sense it taking anything within 30 minutes of the end of your run.

If it's cold where you are, hold the gel in your hand for 10 minutes while running so it flows better and is easier to consume.

Thank you! I will drink alot of water! I bought Gu off of Amazon. Seller was caffeine, but only 20 mg. I considered over the course of a day, it would still add up to less than a cup of coffee and I'm not caffeine sensitive anyway. I'm planning to buy more, though, and I'll try Science in Sports. It's warm here in Texas. Our cold days are still not cold, at least as far as I'm concerned. Thank you, Lenny!
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Never purchased an energy gel in my life, until today... I've also never purchased a protein bar in my life, either, but I'm going to pick up some of those this weekend. I got a "fanny pack" now so I can stash stuff in it for long runs and ditch my husband's army camelback now. I'm doing the 18 on Sunday and I'll need all the help I can get. Any and all advice is welcome, if you have any. I'll attach my training plan...

@LoveyChar be sure to drink water with the gel. Most gels are so thick that water is needed to dilute them enough to allow the body to digest them easily. My preference is for isotonic gels which aren't as thick and sweet and don't require water. Basically the water needed is already in the packet. They're bigger because of that but much easier to consume, less sticky, and to me, taste much better. The only isotonic gel I know of is Science in Sports.

It takes about 30 minutes to get the carbs from your stomach to your muscles as energy, so there's no sense it taking anything within 30 minutes of the end of your run.

If it's cold where you are, hold the gel in your hand for 10 minutes while running so it flows better and is easier to consume.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options

Okay, so here is the deal... some people's GI systems react poorly to the gels, some people tolerate them fine. You will just have to experiment. I personally do not use gels because they are an icky sticky mess. Instead, I use Clif Blox which are like gummies. :) They are many different ways to consume the same basic thing. You just need to experiment to see what you like best and what you can tolerate.

My wife prefers Sweedish Fish. :)

You can use anything you want, it does not have to be a fancy exercise gel/block/etc. Real food that is simple sugars works fine AS LONG AS you are getting sufficient electrolytes from your drink. If not then the exercise specific gummies/gels/etc are better.

Some of use are what are knowns as "salty sweaters" and take salt pills + sports drink + sports food. :) But most people probably do not need that much.

• LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »

Thank you! I will drink alot of water! I bought Gu off of Amazon. Seller was caffeine, but only 20 mg. I considered over the course of a day, it would still add up to less than a cup of coffee and I'm not caffeine sensitive anyway. I'm planning to buy more, though, and I'll try Science in Sports. It's warm here in Texas. Our cold days are still not cold, at least as far as I'm concerned. Thank you, Lenny!