Wanna do more burpees in 2020?

SammyDee2015
SammyDee2015 Posts: 285 Member
AROO!! THIS 2020 CHALLENGE WILL RUN ALL YEAR LONG , but you do not have to commit to that. Your personal commitment is only two weeks. The year’s commitment part is mine alone, but I am hoping to get -and give- support along the journey. 😋

I hate burpees but I love what they did for my body and endurance levels in the past.

Wondering what is a Burpee? Here’s a great link to learn about them:
http://joshuaspodek.com/burpees-the-one-year-review

Still interested? Great! Let’s do ‘em together -as fast or slow, in quantities hi or low, and as badassed or modified as you wanna go!

These monster makers are tough to incorporate as a consistent exercise if you have other fitness adventures going on, so a two week commitment is all I will ask of you. Then, in two weeks, you self assess and make a NEW goal. Why 2 weeks, you ask? Because we all usually start out super psyched to add a new sumthin sumthin to our lives, and tend to over estimate our thresholds.

Burpees can be ego killers at first. Day one you Bang em out. Day two you are a bit hesitant but game to go again. Day 3 you are questioning your sanity. And Day 7? You could be doing nothing but posting excuses. (Been there so many times I have it memorized 😂 )
Still with me? Awesome! Throw a star ⭐️ on this challenge, and jump in whenever you like during the year... then Fall down, and jump out if you wish. Repeat.
Hey you just did a life burpee! 5cc2rd4u0c46.jpeg

Replies

• SammyDee2015
    I am Sammy and I have a spartan race this coming August, which means I have burpees in my future, and in front of a lot of people- so I want to be able to bang them out with grace. Plus- they burn fat. I have a LOT of fat to burn.

Starting stats 57, 5’1”, 191.9lbs
    Goal: 1 burpee a day. Every day.
    Yes I hope to do more on a regular basis BUT this very base goal will keep me going thru the entire year no matter what. (Heck I can do just one right? 😉)
  • SammyDee2015
    Jan 1 : 10 burpees - it’s enough as a start, because I already did a lifting wo and a treadmill run. 🤗
  • carolejaye1217
    carolejaye1217 Posts: 15 Member
    I’m in! I hope to do 1 burpee a day too. Would be wonderful if I could surprise myself by doing more! I hope to gain strength to get up off the floor once I get down to play with grandkids. It’s terrible to have to depend on some stable furniture nearby to help me up. :( Thanks for starting this challenge!
  • SammyDee2015
    Welcome Carole- I am honoured to have my 3yr old grand daughter stay over every weekend, and BOY do I know what you mean! It’s the consistency that is hard at first- and 1 burpee a day is a fine goal 👍
  • SammyDee2015
    Jan 2: 10 burpees again. Starting sloooow n easy... well I say that but today’s 10 felt hard. Gotta get my core stronger 🤗
  • carolejaye1217
    Jan 2: 2 “almost” burpees. I can’t hop them like I used to. Mostly big steps back and up again. I did 6 mins on the treadmill at 2.9 mph, up from 3 mins yesterday. My husband and I did an online yoga class. First one ever! I have sissy wrists and had to make adjustments. I do feel good tho, that I did something instead of just thinking and planning to.
  • pcfteixeira
    pcfteixeira Posts: 19 Member
    Hi Sammy, I think is a great challenge and I am in !!!! Started just now after I read ur post and 1 burpee is done!!!!!
  • SammyDee2015
    Jan 2: 2 “almost” burpees. I can’t hop them like I used to. Mostly big steps back and up again. I did 6 mins on the treadmill at 2.9 mph, up from 3 mins yesterday. My husband and I did an online yoga class. First one ever! I have sissy wrists and had to make adjustments. I do feel good tho, that I did something instead of just thinking and planning to.

Right?! Feels great when we stop thinking and start doing.wrists: I use fists for pushups, maybe try that? Step backs are accepted as a modified burpee. The idea is just do what you can. Great work Carole 🤗
    Hi Sammy, I think is a great challenge and I am in !!!! Started just now after I read ur post and 1 burpee is done!!!!!

Welcome PC. Good job on jumping right in. Hardest intentional burpee is the first one, but every one after that is a bonus! 😃
  • pisanee
    pisanee Posts: 1,845 Member
    @SammyDee2015 So great to see you keeping this challenge going for the new year. I’m going to try and stick with it after dropping during the holidays.

Jan 3 - 20 modified burpees (low impact due to some knee pain)
  • carolejaye1217
    Did 3 pretty pathetic burpees today. Did yoga and 8 mins on the treadmill. My body is sore but at least it has reason to be. Sure looking forward to when I feel stronger and not so pathetic. 😉. I’m pumped that I haven’t given up! Thanks for doing this group or I wouldn’t have even tried to do burpees today.
  • SammyDee2015
    Had the grandbaby this afternoon n evening -she is getting heavy. BUT I just did two burpees so I could keep my streak alive! Not so bad. Awesome sauce will come later once I get in a rhythm 😉
  • SammyDee2015
    pisanee wrote: »
    @SammyDee2015 So great to see you keeping this challenge going for the new year. I’m going to try and stick with it after dropping during the holidays.

Jan 3 - 20 modified burpees (low impact due to some knee pain)

😲 Omg YAY!!! Can’t tell ya how excited I was to see your post! Modify or reduce- listen to your body Pisanee. 👍
    Did 3 pretty pathetic burpees today. Did yoga and 8 mins on the treadmill. My body is sore but at least it has reason to be. Sure looking forward to when I feel stronger and not so pathetic. 😉. I’m pumped that I haven’t given up! Thanks for doing this group or I wouldn’t have even tried to do burpees today.

Good work today Carole. Keep that attitude strong, every bit makes a difference. Thanks for the reminder too. I hate yoga, but my body likes the flexibility it sees over time. And yup- I will be here everyday so I will be watching for you 😉
  • SammyDee2015
    Grandbaby came down to my basement gym today. Not much got done though we had tons of fun. In addition to some planking trials, I completed 4x 8count burpees. Modified none! (Feeling good but tired - she was up half the nite.) 😴
  • carolejaye1217
    Good job you SammyDee! I didn’t get anything in. Kept my grandson last week when he had a fever and was sick, and in the night I woke up with a sore throat and congestion. :(. I’ve been taking maximum amounts of airborne. Counting on tomorrow being better. Awesome that you’re making memories with your grandaughter!
  • Kokodaready2020
    Kokodaready2020 Posts: 28 Member
    edited January 2020
    I have a wedding in March and doing the "Kokoda Trail" over 8 days starting on Anzac day this year. I have about 10 kg to lose before I'm happy with myself again. each day I will do my max effort burpees in 1 min. I also do Burpees at the gym within some routines so I will also note these as extras.

Jan 5th = 21 Full Burpees within 1 min.
  • pisanee
    Yesterday, got distracted by a bit of family drama and forgot to do anything. But tried to get back with it today with 20 modified.

I am thinking I may never get beyond modified burpees. I prioritize cardio on the treadmill and stationary bike, so by the time I get around to the burpees, I have to take it easy on my knees. It is still pretty tiring so I guess it is still worth doing.
  • SammyDee2015
    each day I will do my max effort burpees in 1 min. I also do Burpees at the gym within some routines so I will also note these as extras.
    Jan 5th = 21 Full Burpees within 1 min.

Welcome Kokodaready. You sound like a burpee boss already. I love your chosen way do doing your personal burpee challenge! I would change mine to match but honestly sometimes 1 minute would push me into excuses instead. ( might make it a mini weekly challenge tho! 😉)
  • SammyDee2015
    pisanee wrote: »
    ... back with it today with 20 modified.

I am thinking I may never get beyond modified burpees. I prioritize cardio on the treadmill and stationary bike, so by the time I get around to the burpees, I have to take it easy on my knees. It is still pretty tiring so I guess it is still worth doing.

Aw Pisanee, you are living the reality of why I threw this challenge up: Life is that- life! If it doesn’t hold a burpee in it, then be fine with it. Next day it might. Or next week. My idea for everyone was just do more than last month. Rinse and repeat.( I bet you are already ahead on that scale?).

I am gonna take a cue from you and drop the word ‘modified’ from now on. If we get winded or our pulse hops up then it is helping us in our fitness goals.

I have stupid knees too. Think I am gonna try using burpees as my warm up before I do any runs, lifting, videos etc, .... or make sure they are hours apart.

Give it time. You are only a week into the year! We got this. 🌸
  • SammyDee2015
    As this is new to me too, I am learning along the way with everyone’s help!

I am gonna try on a new format: the day’s burpee count, with a running monthly tally.
    ——
    Jan 5: 22
    So far this month: 48
    Banged them out first thing in the morning. Hope the muscles are not too mad at me Monday morning! 😜
  • pisanee
    @SammyDee2015 Thanks for your words. I was feeling really good about my efforts so far...until I realized that I forgot to do today’s burpees and planks. Doh! I need to set a reminder on my phone.