Onslaught of New Gym Members

12346

Replies

  • andrewhanson2013
    andrewhanson2013 Posts: 3 Member
    Just remember everyone there, is just there to better their health as well. Focus on you. I assure you they are focusing on them.
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,578 Member
    Well, I was super hyped to go to the gym today after work for the first time in months and after reading this thread it really gives me anxiety and definitely doesn't encourage me to go.

    Don't let whiny people halt your momentum...

    If you're there, and they're there, the only difference between you two is that one is a cry baby...

    At the end of the day, the person who cries the loudest about not being able to use a certain piece of equipment and can't figure something else out... Is the one who least belongs...
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,153 Member
    I used to be a new gym member so I'd like to think I'm very tolerant of new gym members. I live near a lot of 55 and over communities and the demographic where I live is around 60 average age (easily). No sign of increased members today at LA Fitness near me, the most crowded gym I've ever been to. I think once people reach a certain age, they pretty much know if they are going to stay healthy or have just given up.
  • hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    Where I'm at it's not the noobies it's the damn trainers that set people up in front of dumbbell/kettlebell racks, on the prowler track, etc.

    Yup. I just had an introductory trainer session at the new gym, and she suggested we work on my squatting technique and check any new equipment my old gyms haven’t had that I’m new to. So, she put all our stuff in front of a squat rack and even said we’ll ”reserve” it, then took me to warm up in a different area, then proceeded to instruct all kinds of stuff in front of the squat rack. We never even did the squats. Just one of the reasons I will NOT be purchasing any sessions from her and will continue training with my old trainer, even though he works in a different gym that I only go to for his sessions.
  • imabeevampire
    imabeevampire Posts: 166 Member
    I used to be a January newbie!!
    And now in going back after a month off in January 😂
    Like everyone else has said, try and go on days/times when it will be less busy and by February it might be less busy x
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,578 Member
    spartan_d wrote: »
    If you're there, and they're there, the only difference between you two is that one is a cry baby...

    At the end of the day, the person who cries the loudest about not being able to use a certain piece of equipment and can't figure something else out... Is the one who least belongs...
    I don't think that's fair. If a person is using the equipment all wrong -- lounging on it for long periods of time, for example -- then I can't blame other people for getting annoyed.

    Curling in the squat rack is a perfect example. Could other gym habitues "figure something else out"? Perhaps, but this would require settling for a greatly inferior alternative to the barbell squat. I wouldn't blame them at all for feeling frustrated.

    Yeah but you see what you did here, you completely reframed the discussion under the assumption that all gym noobies have poor gym etiquette...

    We all know that frequent gym goers can have their own poor etiquette as well...

    Be kind... These people are just trying to better themselves...

    Maybe next time you're a noob somewhere, there will be a gym noob who's familiar helping you out...
  • johnnys_fitness_ch
    johnnys_fitness_ch Posts: 73 Member
    For sure. Yesterday I was on the elliptical and there were 2 newbies next to me. Thy had no idea what they were doing. One of them almost killed herself trying to enter her data on the machine. I was able to show her how to use it. They were on about 5 minutes and gave up. in a month they will all be gone.
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,578 Member
    spartan_d wrote: »
    spartan_d wrote: »
    If you're there, and they're there, the only difference between you two is that one is a cry baby...

    At the end of the day, the person who cries the loudest about not being able to use a certain piece of equipment and can't figure something else out... Is the one who least belongs...
    I don't think that's fair. If a person is using the equipment all wrong -- lounging on it for long periods of time, for example -- then I can't blame other people for getting annoyed.

    Curling in the squat rack is a perfect example. Could other gym habitues "figure something else out"? Perhaps, but this would require settling for a greatly inferior alternative to the barbell squat. I wouldn't blame them at all for feeling frustrated.

    Yeah but you see what you did here, you completely reframed the discussion under the assumption that all gym noobies have poor gym etiquette...

    No, I didn't. In fact, I said absolutely nothing about newbies.

    I was addressing the following specific claim:

    "At the end of the day, the person who cries the loudest about not being able to use a certain piece of equipment and can't figure something else out... Is the one who least belongs..."

    My point is that it's not necessarily unreasonable for someone to complain about not being able to use a certain piece of equipment. It most certainly does NOT mean that such a person is "the one who least belongs."

    So then just who were you referring to?
    Because this discussion is about gym noobies, is it not?

    You can't go on this little tirade about gym noobies not using equipment properly and then backtrack once it no longer serves your argument
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    edited January 2020
    spartan_d wrote: »
    spartan_d wrote: »
    If you're there, and they're there, the only difference between you two is that one is a cry baby...

    At the end of the day, the person who cries the loudest about not being able to use a certain piece of equipment and can't figure something else out... Is the one who least belongs...
    I don't think that's fair. If a person is using the equipment all wrong -- lounging on it for long periods of time, for example -- then I can't blame other people for getting annoyed.

    Curling in the squat rack is a perfect example. Could other gym habitues "figure something else out"? Perhaps, but this would require settling for a greatly inferior alternative to the barbell squat. I wouldn't blame them at all for feeling frustrated.

    Yeah but you see what you did here, you completely reframed the discussion under the assumption that all gym noobies have poor gym etiquette...

    No, I didn't. In fact, I said absolutely nothing about newbies.

    I was addressing the following specific claim:

    "At the end of the day, the person who cries the loudest about not being able to use a certain piece of equipment and can't figure something else out... Is the one who least belongs..."

    My point is that it's not necessarily unreasonable for someone to complain about not being able to use a certain piece of equipment. It most certainly does NOT mean that such a person is "the one who least belongs."

    So then just who were you referring to?
    Because this discussion is about gym noobies, is it not?

    As I said, I was addressing the statement that you made. Let me quote it again for your benefit and convenience.

    "At the end of the day, the person who cries the loudest about not being able to use a certain piece of equipment and can't figure something else out... Is the one who least belongs..."

    That statement draws no distinction between newbies and veterans... and neither do I. In other words, my objection applies regardless of how long somebody has been going to the gym. It applies to everyone.
    You can't go on this little tirade about gym noobies not using equipment properly and then backtrack once it no longer serves your argument
    And as I said in the post that you responded to, I said nothing about "noobies." The truth or falsehood of your statement is not contingent on whether somebody is a newbie or not.

    I have pointed this out twice in a row now. Perhaps we can save some time if you tell me how many times it should be explained before you realize that I didn't say a single thing about newbies. Or that the veracity of that statement isn't dependent on how long somebody has been working out.
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,578 Member
    spartan_d wrote: »
    spartan_d wrote: »
    spartan_d wrote: »
    If you're there, and they're there, the only difference between you two is that one is a cry baby...

    At the end of the day, the person who cries the loudest about not being able to use a certain piece of equipment and can't figure something else out... Is the one who least belongs...
    I don't think that's fair. If a person is using the equipment all wrong -- lounging on it for long periods of time, for example -- then I can't blame other people for getting annoyed.

    Curling in the squat rack is a perfect example. Could other gym habitues "figure something else out"? Perhaps, but this would require settling for a greatly inferior alternative to the barbell squat. I wouldn't blame them at all for feeling frustrated.

    Yeah but you see what you did here, you completely reframed the discussion under the assumption that all gym noobies have poor gym etiquette...

    No, I didn't. In fact, I said absolutely nothing about newbies.

    I was addressing the following specific claim:

    "At the end of the day, the person who cries the loudest about not being able to use a certain piece of equipment and can't figure something else out... Is the one who least belongs..."

    My point is that it's not necessarily unreasonable for someone to complain about not being able to use a certain piece of equipment. It most certainly does NOT mean that such a person is "the one who least belongs."

    So then just who were you referring to?
    Because this discussion is about gym noobies, is it not?

    As I said, I was addressing the statement that you made. Let me quote it again for your benefit and convenience.

    "At the end of the day, the person who cries the loudest about not being able to use a certain piece of equipment and can't figure something else out... Is the one who least belongs..."

    That statement draws no distinction between newbies and veterans... and neither do I. In other words, my objection applies regardless of how long somebody has been going to the gym. It applies to everyone.
    You can't go on this little tirade about gym noobies not using equipment properly and then backtrack once it no longer serves your argument
    And as I said in the post that you responded to, I said nothing about "noobies." The truth or falsehood of your statement is not contingent on whether somebody is a newbie or not.

    I have pointed this out twice in a row now. Perhaps we can save some time if you tell me how many times it should be explained before you realize that I didn't say a single thing about newbies. Or that the veracity of that statement isn't dependent on how long somebody has been working out.

    OK great then... I'm glad we can both agree that the problem is not gym noobies, but rather inconsiderate people with poor gym etiquette...

    Bless the noobies, and let's all make them feel welcome... We were all noobies somewhere at some point in our lives... ✌🏼💕
  • Yay for keeping my gym in business another year!

    This right here.
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    spartan_d wrote: »
    spartan_d wrote: »
    spartan_d wrote: »
    If you're there, and they're there, the only difference between you two is that one is a cry baby...

    At the end of the day, the person who cries the loudest about not being able to use a certain piece of equipment and can't figure something else out... Is the one who least belongs...
    I don't think that's fair. If a person is using the equipment all wrong -- lounging on it for long periods of time, for example -- then I can't blame other people for getting annoyed.

    Curling in the squat rack is a perfect example. Could other gym habitues "figure something else out"? Perhaps, but this would require settling for a greatly inferior alternative to the barbell squat. I wouldn't blame them at all for feeling frustrated.

    Yeah but you see what you did here, you completely reframed the discussion under the assumption that all gym noobies have poor gym etiquette...

    No, I didn't. In fact, I said absolutely nothing about newbies.

    I was addressing the following specific claim:

    "At the end of the day, the person who cries the loudest about not being able to use a certain piece of equipment and can't figure something else out... Is the one who least belongs..."

    My point is that it's not necessarily unreasonable for someone to complain about not being able to use a certain piece of equipment. It most certainly does NOT mean that such a person is "the one who least belongs."

    So then just who were you referring to?
    Because this discussion is about gym noobies, is it not?

    As I said, I was addressing the statement that you made. Let me quote it again for your benefit and convenience.

    "At the end of the day, the person who cries the loudest about not being able to use a certain piece of equipment and can't figure something else out... Is the one who least belongs..."

    That statement draws no distinction between newbies and veterans... and neither do I. In other words, my objection applies regardless of how long somebody has been going to the gym. It applies to everyone.
    You can't go on this little tirade about gym noobies not using equipment properly and then backtrack once it no longer serves your argument
    And as I said in the post that you responded to, I said nothing about "noobies." The truth or falsehood of your statement is not contingent on whether somebody is a newbie or not.

    I have pointed this out twice in a row now. Perhaps we can save some time if you tell me how many times it should be explained before you realize that I didn't say a single thing about newbies. Or that the veracity of that statement isn't dependent on how long somebody has been working out.

    OK great then... I'm glad we can both agree that the problem is not gym noobies, but rather inconsiderate people with poor gym etiquette...

    Bless the noobies, and let's all make them feel welcome... We were all noobies somewhere at some point in our lives... ✌🏼💕

    Can we also agree that it's wrong to say that "the person who cries the loudest about not being able to use a certain piece of equipment and can't figure something else out... Is the one who least belongs"? Often that person has a legitimate reason to complain. That is the point I was making, after all.
  • Josh_Friedman
    Josh_Friedman Posts: 112 Member
    I welcome new people to the gym...What I don't like is the lack of gym etiquette that is pervasive this time of year. Large numbers of people milling around, not actually working out. People just staring. Camping on machines and texting. Not reracking weights. Plus, my personal favorite, people loading down the leg press with every plate they can find, only to move it a few inches.
  • Analog_Kid
    Analog_Kid Posts: 975 Member
    Yay for keeping my gym in business another year!

    This right here.

    Yes! The surge of newbies in the gym means fresh revenue streams that keep my membership fees from increasing.
    The crowds are a little bothersome but they usually go away by the end of February.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,183 Member
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    Yes, that's why I bought all of the equipment I need to be able to work out at home alone

    This... until your significant other wants to start working out in parallel... then you need more stuff.
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,578 Member
    spartan_d wrote: »
    spartan_d wrote: »
    spartan_d wrote: »
    spartan_d wrote: »
    If you're there, and they're there, the only difference between you two is that one is a cry baby...

    At the end of the day, the person who cries the loudest about not being able to use a certain piece of equipment and can't figure something else out... Is the one who least belongs...
    I don't think that's fair. If a person is using the equipment all wrong -- lounging on it for long periods of time, for example -- then I can't blame other people for getting annoyed.

    Curling in the squat rack is a perfect example. Could other gym habitues "figure something else out"? Perhaps, but this would require settling for a greatly inferior alternative to the barbell squat. I wouldn't blame them at all for feeling frustrated.

    Yeah but you see what you did here, you completely reframed the discussion under the assumption that all gym noobies have poor gym etiquette...

    No, I didn't. In fact, I said absolutely nothing about newbies.

    I was addressing the following specific claim:

    "At the end of the day, the person who cries the loudest about not being able to use a certain piece of equipment and can't figure something else out... Is the one who least belongs..."

    My point is that it's not necessarily unreasonable for someone to complain about not being able to use a certain piece of equipment. It most certainly does NOT mean that such a person is "the one who least belongs."

    So then just who were you referring to?
    Because this discussion is about gym noobies, is it not?

    As I said, I was addressing the statement that you made. Let me quote it again for your benefit and convenience.

    "At the end of the day, the person who cries the loudest about not being able to use a certain piece of equipment and can't figure something else out... Is the one who least belongs..."

    That statement draws no distinction between newbies and veterans... and neither do I. In other words, my objection applies regardless of how long somebody has been going to the gym. It applies to everyone.
    You can't go on this little tirade about gym noobies not using equipment properly and then backtrack once it no longer serves your argument
    And as I said in the post that you responded to, I said nothing about "noobies." The truth or falsehood of your statement is not contingent on whether somebody is a newbie or not.

    I have pointed this out twice in a row now. Perhaps we can save some time if you tell me how many times it should be explained before you realize that I didn't say a single thing about newbies. Or that the veracity of that statement isn't dependent on how long somebody has been working out.

    OK great then... I'm glad we can both agree that the problem is not gym noobies, but rather inconsiderate people with poor gym etiquette...

    Bless the noobies, and let's all make them feel welcome... We were all noobies somewhere at some point in our lives... ✌🏼💕

    Can we also agree that it's wrong to say that "the person who cries the loudest about not being able to use a certain piece of equipment and can't figure something else out... Is the one who least belongs"? Often that person has a legitimate reason to complain. That is the point I was making, after all.

    We can agree to disagree 😂...
    How about that

    I'm going to stand by that statement

    But I will agree with you that people who lay about the equipment and are unwilling to share it are part of the problem