log as you go or pre plan ?

2»

Replies

• molsongirl
    molsongirl Posts: 1,373 Member
    I log as I go, I'm a clean eater, find it hard to go over on calories, so I log em as I go, exercise is a part of my life, so I don't worry too much about this either, I guess it's whatever works for you
  • For me it really depends on my week. Like on certain days I know that I won't have time to make things for myself and I'd have to eat a healthy salad from a restaurant or a 6 inch from subway, or i definately know that I am going to have a salad for lunch and dinner that day so I add them the day before because I know that I will be eating it.

The days that I HAVE to preplan are days that I am working. I go to school and work so its sometimes difficult to eat healthy being I am a college student and all. I hope this helps!!!! :drinker:
  • GIBride01
    GIBride01 Posts: 328 Member
    I prelog both my most of my food and exercise first thing in the am. I find it helps keep me honest to know I am already eating some of the calories I have counted as extra exercise calories. Also helps me to stick with one cup of pasta if I have already logged it as one cup of pasta. :flowerforyou:
  • Islandgirl74
    Islandgirl74 Posts: 170 Member
    My biggest meal is usually lunch, so I generally log that in at least the day before. Other meals I usually log in the mornings. My breakfast is the same everyday (at least for now), so I know how much calories it contains, so I log it in a few days in advance.
  • staceyw37
    staceyw37 Posts: 2,094 Member
    i do a combo of both. my breakfast is pretty set and snacks i don't pre-plan. but for meals, i will check first to see what it's gonna "cost" me before i settle on a food. for me, it can discourage me from making a "bad" choice. also, i'm kinda new to this, so i don't have a ready grasp of all the foods and the amounts that will fit into my plan/goals. thus, it helps me to pre-plan my larger meals.
    hth :happy:
  • I usually log in at the end of the day..My life is so hetic I have no time to pre-plan meals lol
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    I do a little of both. I preplan my meals, usually the night before, in conjuction with my planned exercise. However, I often deviate a little from the plan. For example, one of the admins keeps fun size candy bars at her desk and I get weak every now and then :laugh: Or, I'll decide I'm not interested in what I bought for lunch or I get busy and don't have time to eat a snack that I planned. When I make those changes I get on the computer and update my food log.

Preplanning for the exercise helps because I exercise after work. Since I know what I'm going to burn, I can plan out how much to eat during the day so that I'm spreading my calories pretty evenly.
  • dkell
    dkell Posts: 408 Member
    I usually log in at the end of the day..My life is so hetic I have no time to pre-plan meals lol

:noway: I'm with you on this.:flowerforyou:
  • artschoolgirl
    artschoolgirl Posts: 598 Member
    I was just mentally keeping track of my calories until I decided yesterday to start logging again. I find it relaxing in the morning to log the foods, plan out my snacks & I'm finding it really keeps me in my calorie range! I spend about 800-1000 calories and then workout after work & get to eat what's left over. So, it usually leaves me with 200-500 calories to eat for dinner.
  • lol i never plan. I mean I log after each meal...or try to. Living away form home in college I never know what the cafeteria is going to have.
  • Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    I do it both ways, too.
    I need the constant feedback of seeing how many calories & carbs I've had before I plan the evening meal. Sometimes if I know I'll be tempted I log it in ahead of the actual meal. (As if it couldn't be changed!):laugh:
    It seems to help keep me on track.
    I find planning out the week generally helps with healthier meals anyway.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    food: before, exercise: after.

If I plan my food,I feel like it's been decided, then I will stick to it.

If I plan my exercise, I feel trapped into it. I log it after so I can get a big happy rush knowing how many calories I just earned.

Plus for me, I pack and bring with me everything I will eat for breakfast and lunch, so I log it as soon as I get to work, all of it. Then I eat as I see fit, when I get hungry, so that I stay satisfied all day. Then I know how many cals I have left for dinner, as I am on my way home. my DH cooks dinner every night, so I usually don't know what he is making, but if I come home to find out that it is high-cal-ish, then I will go for a run to "earn" the cals I need for dinner.

kinda stuck though, I think I need to increase exercise to get the scale moving again.:ohwell:
  • wildkat318
    wildkat318 Posts: 326 Member
    :angry: I'm really mad at myself. I've not been using the food logs and the exercise log. That's why I'm not loosing weight. :grumble: :grumble: My life is such a turmoil that I find it hard to plan ahead. Do you actually get recipes and meals ahead for all week and then plan when and how long and what kind of exercise you are going to do?:noway: :noway: Is that possible? :noway: My life is out of control right now.:grumble: :angry: :devil:

I have been there! Maybe if you can prepare and plan your meals/exercise that will give you a sense of control over one portion of your life. Most things are out of our control but it feels good to sit down look at your week and plan menus, grocery lists and prelog what you will eat. Then when things go haywire, you're prepared. One less thing to think about because you've already planned it.

Good luck! :drinker:
  • wildkat318
    wildkat318 Posts: 326 Member
    food: before, exercise: after.

If I plan my food,I feel like it's been decided, then I will stick to it.

If I plan my exercise, I feel trapped into it. I log it after so I can get a big happy rush knowing how many calories I just earned.

Me too. I usually do Pilates or Yoga in the morning and then alternate between cardio and weight training in the evening. I use an HRM and depending on the day, my energey, etc. I never know exactly how many calories I'm going to burn until I actually do it. I eat 1450 calories regardless of whether I work out or not so I don't use my workouts to buy additional meals or snacks. :bigsmile:
This discussion has been closed.