Personal trainer put me on a low carb diet?

Options

Replies

• Jay9201
    Jay9201 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    gremloBBPT wrote: »
    Btw, I'm sorry to hear what you went through in 2019! I'm glad you're starting to feel better. The fact that your trainer knows the gist of what happened and is still acting like you must do low carb is why I consider her a buffoon. Do what's right for you. :)

I know, and the very same trainer has become aggressive and still doesnt understand what went wrong. I want to become healthy and stronger in the right way given my issues. Only downside is I can't get a refund.
  • Jay9201
    Options
    Plenty of people here on MFP can attest to losing weight on 50% or so carbs, including me.

Don't overdo a deficit especially while doing strength training and exercise. 1400 is pretty low (although reasonable for some people). You seem to want to lose about 1 pound a week, so just monitor your loss and how you feel and adjust as needed. You might need to eat more.

Thank you I will do.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    Anyone can become a life coach or a weight loss coach just by making up some business cards or paying someone else a fee so you can become part of a multi-level marketing dieting program. Find yourself a registered dietitian, cut right to the chase and that way you can eliminate a lot of quacks.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Jay9201 wrote: »
    Hi, just a quick background I'm 5'5 female 28 years old. I currently weigh around 175lbs. I got a personal trainer to really help me with nutrition and push me with my exercises. I had a really bad reaction to doing the keto diet. I lost 25lbs in 6 weeks and then when I became fat adapted I was constantly nauseous,had really bad GI issues , hormone problems, I lost my period and I had several nutritional deficiencies.
    It has taken me all of 2019 to get my gut and health back to a somewhat normal state.

I outlined all of this to my personal trainer, however she wants me to go on a low carb, moderate fat and high protein diet. Because of how much issues I've had I've been medically advised go avoid low carb diets. My personal trainer doesn't understand I paid so much money. I get low carb diets lose weight, but I want to eat a deficit. My current deficit is 1400 cals all tracked with a food scale.

I want to lose 45lbs by end of 2020 if that is even possible.

Is there a possible way to do this without going on low carb diets and just eat nutritious food and at a deficit? I really can't go through that much health issues again.

Thanks for all your tips.
    YOUR TRAINER shouldn't be giving out dieting advice unless they are a registered DIETCIAN. Any PT can get a "nutrition certification" online in less than a day. Also IF they aren't listening to your concerns, you need to find a different trainer.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    1) Get a different trainer. Yours seems to be broken.
    2) Get your doctor to refer you to a Registered Dietician (not a Nutritionist!) for help with healthy weight loss that won't have you relapsing.

😂 my trainer is broken. What is the difference between nutritionist and dietitian?
    A "nutritionist" doesn't have to go to school to get a cert. A dietician goes to 4 years of schooling.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Fat loss = energy in < energy out, that's it.
    As a side, personal trainers should not be putting clients on any diets as they are not qualified to do so.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    Btw, I'm sorry to hear what you went through in 2019! I'm glad you're starting to feel better. The fact that your trainer knows the gist of what happened and is still acting like you must do low carb is why I consider her a buffoon. Do what's right for you. :)

I know, and the very same trainer has become aggressive and still doesnt understand what went wrong. I want to become healthy and stronger in the right way given my issues. Only downside is I can't get a refund.

I took the ACE personal trainer certification class and test for my own enrichment. ACE specifically states giving specific nutrition advice is an ethics viloaton and can result in loss of certification. I'm guessing most reputable certification organizations have the same policy.

If the trainer won't give you a refund tell them you will be contacting their certifying organization.

This ^

Lots of times a no refund policy isn't applicable to certain types of situations that the company isn't going to disclose.

For example, food sold by Amazon says "Not eligible for return." That doesn't mean you can't get a refund. It just means you don't have to return it in order to get the refund, and have to contact Customer Service. I've received refunds several times when the product I received wasn't as described on the site or was unusable for other reasons.

@Jay9201 did you pay the trainer directly or was it through a gym? There are several ways to get a refund, including doing a charge back through your credit card company.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    I am 100% with the folks who say that you should keep pushing on the refund. This individual gave you bad advice that they may not have been legally and/or ethically allowed to give. The advice they gave you went against your doctor's orders, meaning it could have been dangerous for you had you followed it. That behavior is what I would consider negligent at best. They shouldn't be allowed to keep your money, and honestly I don't think they should be working as a personal trainer.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Better business bureau.

https://www.bbb.org/
  • Jay9201
    Options
    I can’t emphasize how much you need to get a different trainer. The whole point of paying money for a personal trainer instead of just, say, reading a book about working out and diet, is to have personalized advice tailored to your needs. If the trainer ignores your needs and gives advice based on their beliefs without reference to your situation, what are you paying for? For the sake of argument, let’s ignore that a trainer is not a nutritionist - you explained your medical situation, and the trainer blew you off. You now know that is how this person operates, not listening and blowing you off. Why would you think any other part of their training would be different from that? Ignoring your feedback when lifting and working out is a recipe for bad results and even injury.

Absolutely, which is why I got rid of her.
  • Jay9201
    Options
    I'm a runner, and if I don't eat enough carbs my runs are awful. I feel as if carbs fuel my body and improve my workouts. Obviously, everyone is different, but that is my personal experience.

100% I lift heavy weights. I love feeling strong. I'm doing a body recomposition and a cut I need carbs.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    I hope you succeed in getting your refund!

If you paid with VISA they can be helpful. I also like the idea of contacting the licensing board, if she’s licensed.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »

I took the ACE personal trainer certification class and test for my own enrichment. ACE specifically states giving specific nutrition advice is an ethics viloaton and can result in loss of certification. I'm guessing most reputable certification organizations have the same policy.

If the trainer won't give you a refund tell them you will be contacting their certifying organization.

This ^

Lots of times a no refund policy isn't applicable to certain types of situations that the company isn't going to disclose.

For example, food sold by Amazon says "Not eligible for return." That doesn't mean you can't get a refund. It just means you don't have to return it in order to get the refund, and have to contact Customer Service. I've received refunds several times when the product I received wasn't as described on the site or was unusable for other reasons.

@Jay9201 did you pay the trainer directly or was it through a gym? There are several ways to get a refund, including doing a charge back through your credit card company.

I paid the trainer directly and not the organisation. I raised a complaint against the trainer, she became verbally abusive with me saying I lack discipline. I dropped my weight from 220lbs to 175 through hardworking and discipline.

I can understand why you don't want to deal with her. Can you get the organization to mediate? If not, what about doing a charge-back with your credit card company?
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Awesome news! Glad you had a happy ending and wish you luck finding a way of eating that works for you and a trainer who will help you meet your training goals and refrain from giving advice on matters other than training!