How do you choose a goal weight?

Options
13»

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    My goal weight is the weight I was when I was a full time yoga teacher with an active lifestyle, but this is the most relevant answer:
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    On a skim-through I didn't see it mentioned (apologies if I missed it!), so I want to add this, although you may already be aware of it:

Whatever you tell MFP your goal weight is, that has zip-zero-no effect on how it calculates your weight loss calorie goal. None.

MFP asks you to put a goal weight in your profile, but it only uses that for some motivational type messages, like the "ticker" you can put on your page that says you've lost X out of Y pounds, or you have Z pounds to goal, or whatever.

You can set your goal weight at anything less than your current weight, set up the other profile data according to instructions, and your calorie goal will be the same regardless. It's not worth agonizing over. You can change it later, no penalty or even difference.

Not worth worrying over, truly. Set it to whatever seems adequate now, and re-evaluate as you get closer, when you have more information/experience/insight.

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I definitely do better with the smaller goals. Losing 50 lbs feels like a lot, losing 10 isn't a big deal. So, I break it down.

For example, I'm 5'7" and was at 189. My first goal was just to get to my driver's license weight of 175, right now I'm about 1.5 lbs away from that (I've hit that weight on the scales a couple times, but not consistently enough to call it "my weight"). After that, the goal will be to fit into the pants I wore at my lowest adult weight (though reaching it in a healthy way this time, the first time was due to depression), which should be somewhere around ~160-165.

After that, we'll see what's next. At that point I'll be on that normal/overweight edge and will have to see how I look and feel.

Same. When I was 300+ if someone suggested I should set my goal at 165 I would NEVER have made it. That isn't how I work. Starting with 270, then 220, then 180, etc...that helped me so much.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I setup both long term and short term goals, but I allow flexibility to fit my life.

For example I set my long term goal of getting down to 204 lbs - the upper limit of my BMI.

As a short term goal I set to maintain an outstanding PRT score - pushups, situps, run, pullups, swim.

A few months ago I got sidetracked from my long term goal and my time for long endurance sessions diminished, so I turned this to lifting. Turned my deficit into temporary surplus and focused on developing muscle. Things have now changed and I shift back to deficit and weight loss, but the bulk will help my PRT goal.
  • minnelizzy
    minnelizzy Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I have combined a few factors. The BMI chart, what weight I’ve felt most comfortable at I. The past, what size I enjoy being and has been maintainable, etc.
  • fdlewenstein
    fdlewenstein Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    You wrote you are working with a nutritionist. I would suggest you seek advice from your doctor. BMI is only one factor of determining a goal weight. I have a goal weight, but I also have an open mind that I may have to be flexible. I am factoring my overall health and my overall mental health. Most importantly, I want to be able to maintain my weight (after I reach my goal weight).

Personally, I would set a short term goal. If you reach that weight and feel there is a benefit to maintain or set a new goal, do that. Don't settle for a long term goal without a few short term goals. I feel like that is too much pressure. Feel some success! Good luck on your journey.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    You wrote you are working with a nutritionist. I would suggest you seek advice from your doctor.

Better yet, set up an appointment with a Registered Dietician. Most doctors receive minimal nutrition education.
  • Kathi7501
    Kathi7501 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    You wrote you are working with a nutritionist. I would suggest you seek advice from your doctor.

Better yet, set up an appointment with a Registered Dietician. Most doctors receive minimal nutrition education.

My nutritionist is an RD and, fortunately, she works closely with my doctor in the same office. I'm very fortunate to have that arrangement.

Thanks for the insights!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,870 Member
    Options
    Kathi7501 wrote: »
    Not worry about a final goal yet and just see what happens?

Thanks!

This ^^

I go by time rather than weight. Stick with it for 5 weeks, and see where I am. Stick with it for 15 weeks, and see where I am.

Personally, I find weight goals frustrating.

• Womona
    Womona Posts: 1,605 Member
    Options
    I think factoring in age makes a difference too. I was thin growing up, but if I were to get all the way back down to what I was when I got married 23 years ago, I would look sickly and terrible! But back when I was 27, I looked amazing at that weight! At 51, I’d look like the crypt-keeper from Fright Night!
  • earlnabby
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

My nutritionist is an RD and, fortunately, she works closely with my doctor in the same office. I'm very fortunate to have that arrangement.

Thanks for the insights!

Thank you for the clarification. Most who call themselves "nutritionist" only have a rudimentary education (6 week course being the most common) unlike RDs who have 2-3 years advanced training. Sounds like you have a great medical team.
  • earlnabby
    Options
    Interesting update: I asked my personal trainer on Monday and she suggested I not worry about a number, per se, but instead focus on the shape I want to be. That one's easy: I don't want to look like a body builder, but I also don't want to look like a little waif who can be blown over in the wind. I've worked on my body a long time but I've never been able to see any muscle tone due to the overlying fat. So, I definitely want to see some muscle definition while still retaining some curves.

This morning I met with my nutritionist (RDN) and asked her about it. She asked me what my lowest weight was as an adult and if I was able to maintain it. (170 and definitely not) Then she looked at my medical file (no diabetes, high blood pressure, or any elevated risk factors for them or anything else), and said she felt 180 or even 190 were perfectly fine. She said that the BMI was created as a means of tracking an average weight for a large population and never designed to direct an individual to a "perfect" weight. She's actually annoyed that the medical community continues to rely on it for this purpose.

In my case, specifically, she said that I will not be any healthier at 150 than I will be at 180 or 190 -- but trying to force my body into a lower weight that I can't maintain, then going up and down over and over would be detrimental. Makes perfect sense.

So, taking everyone's advice into consideration, I'm going to set small goals, work on feeling better and building the muscle definition I want to see, and stop when it becomes clear I'm trying to attain something I can't maintain.

So much to think about, but it's pretty nice when the answer is to just chill and it'll work out.

Sounds like you have an RD who knows her business. Good advice.
  • jeagogo
    jeagogo Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    @kathi7501 That is great that you have a group of professionals working with you who are helping you set healthy goals specific to you!
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options

So much to think about, but it's pretty nice when the answer is to just chill and it'll work out.

This has been my philosophy. It was kind of forced upon me because I have been overweight or worse and not happy about it the entire time I have had an adult body. I have no idea what number would suit me because I have never seen it. I also think it is easier because I am not counting down to a number so the numbers carry less significance for me.

I can see on the scale that I am about 20 pounds from the last weight I remember seeing as a teen. When I look in the mirror I can see that I have more weight to lose but I lack the personal experience to judge how much.

I am a few pounds away from leaving obese. I definitely want to leave obese. After that it will be a balance of appearance, ease of maintenance, and living as unrestricted by fat as I can.