Weight of food

Options
I scanned a can of baked beans, it said 420g for whole can but when I weighed it out there was only 262g?

Replies

• Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    Did you include all the liquid when you weighed it?
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,138 Member
    Options
    Scanning doesn't necessarily = an accurate entry so worth checking the info is correct anyway. But it will normally have a drop down box in the quantity/measurement allowing your to change it to 262 Qty and 1g

If not you can search the database for a better entry or make your own.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,138 Member
    Options
    Maxxitt wrote: »
    Did you include all the liquid when you weighed it?

You don't normally drain baked beans of the tomato sauce (unlike tins of Kidney Bean,etc), it's a British convenience food, so I imagine they did include the liquid.

• Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    I have found the exact same issue with baked beans!
  • katie_adlam
    katie_adlam Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I just tipped the whole can into a bowl so might have missed a bit of liquid but would 420g include the can weight? I had half the can which weighed 130g x
  • katie_adlam
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Yes I'm in the UK both the tin and mfp said the exact same weight and nutritional info but when I weighed just the beans it came to 262g and not 420g so I'm confused why it says 420g on the tin?
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    It's the water. If you don't weigh with the water (which is hard when using a partial can), then I think it's easier to find an entry (there are USDA ones) for that type of bean, canned, drained.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    Is it possible that the scale is not correct? Perhaps it needs new batteries?
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    That does seem like a big difference. I can't help but the next time I open a tin I am weighing the contents. I usually just share contents between the 2 of us and log it as 0.5 of a tin.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,669 Member
    Options
    What does the outside of the can say about its size?
  • katie_adlam
    Options
    The can says 420g, I weighed the entire contents with the juice, I did not drain them and it said 262g.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,669 Member
    Options
    That seems like a large difference.

If I had a second can I would take live video of me weighing the unopened can and finding out that the whole thing is so much less than stated amount and contact the vendor.

A lot of cans have gross and net weight on them. But I am basically understanding that the gross weight was less than stated, by >37.5%
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    So if you didn't drain it, the most likely scenario is that something went wrong with the weighing -- either the scale is broken or user error, which can happen. A can of beans with water should be more (they vary, but over 400 is normal). The exception would be if it seemed to be well under-filled when you opened it. In that situation, I'd check the cup measurements.
  • katie_adlam
    Options
    @middlehaitch they were Lidl beans I'll go and weigh something else and see what happens
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    So if you didn't drain it, the most likely scenario is that something went wrong with the weighing -- either the scale is broken or user error, which can happen. A can of beans with water should be more (they vary, but over 400 is normal). The exception would be if it seemed to be well under-filled when you opened it. In that situation, I'd check the cup measurements.

@lemurcat2
    You are talking about a different product. Baked beans aren't in water and you eat the whole contents of the can (cooked haricot beans in a tomato based sauce).
    Also in the UK we typically only use measuring cups for baking and it wouldn't appear on the food labelling as a measurement.