Hunting

Options

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,058 Member
    Options
    I feel like the hunters here are all spoiling for a fight. You didn't have a single negative comment, but a couple of "disagree"s and you all lose your minds. Actively trying to trigger strangers on the internet is not something I will ever understand.

I think I'm the only one who kinda lost her mind, and I'm definitely not a hunter, unless morels (a fungus), mayapples, or wild berries count.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I wonder: If you disagree about hunting, do you have an opinion about Wind Energy?
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    I wonder: If you disagree about hunting, do you have an opinion about Wind Energy?

I'll preface this with saying that I don't have any problems with ethical hunting. Which is to say, I have no problem with what everyone who hunts or who has talked about people they know who hunt are doing.

Now that that's out of the way, are you referring to the potential dangers to birds that come with wind energy (and apparently solar energy - though that's through a different mechanism)?
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I feel like the hunters here are all spoiling for a fight. You didn't have a single negative comment, but a couple of "disagree"s and you all lose your minds. Actively trying to trigger strangers on the internet is not something I will ever understand.

I think I'm the only one who kinda lost her mind, and I'm definitely not a hunter, unless morels (a fungus), mayapples, or wild berries count.

Mmmm morels.... love them... used to hunt them as well....
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    One thing that hasn’t been brought up is animals starving. We had a rough winter last year. The snow was deep. Deer had to navigate through it to find food. They came out of the woods every afternoon to eat from our crab apple trees that hold on to their fruit. I felt so bad for them. They moved very slowly through the deep snow. Bunnies completely girdled our burning bush for food. We’ve had that bush for 25 years. Like it or not, a vast majority of humans are not vegetarians.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    aokoye wrote: »

I'll preface this with saying that I don't have any problems with ethical hunting. Which is to say, I have no problem with what everyone who hunts or who has talked about people they know who hunt are doing.

Now that that's out of the way, are you referring to the potential dangers to birds that come with wind energy (and apparently solar energy - though that's through a different mechanism)?

African Swallows or European Swallows?
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    I've likely spent the majority of my life in the outdoors and while hiking, camping, kayaking, etc. have brought me close to nature, but none of this came close to hunting. Hunting is the active embrace of good management and conservation.

There's a level of executive thought taking place when you commit to a physical ritual of action, so while it may be enjoyable to eat well prepared food, there is something better about cooking food yourself. Even more so if you harvest your own food and/or grow your own vegetables.

If I had any desire to shoot a gun and/or the resources to go about doing so then I'd be up for personally going hunting. That said, I personally wouldn't know where to start with fishing (much to the disbelief of a few of my friends), let alone hunting. It's also not a big priority (and then there's the freezer space if it was large game). Instead I try to support local farmers (both in terms of meat and produce), buy locally caught fish when I can afford to, and I enjoy growing my own produce. I also have various hobbies that involve me being outside a lot, though I wouldn't ever eat fish out of the river that I row on.

One of the greatest joys as a hunter (or anyone who loves what they do) is to introduce someone into their sport. I've been a firearms instructor for 30 years now and look forward to new shooters every session.

I've always wanted to learn to fly fish. One of our elders was a master and it was art watching him work a river.
  • eagle275
    eagle275 Posts: 4 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    eagle275 wrote: »
    SLL1803 wrote: »
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    I wonder if the people handing out "disagrees" do the same for suggestions about eating chicken and beef?
    How is quickly and humanely killing a pheasant or deer for food any different than taking livestock to a slaughterhouse?

I don't condone the killing of animals for food or entertainment.

What do you eat then eh

Sounds like you are not familiar with a vegetarian diet, so here's a link: https://medium.com/better-humans/everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-vegetarian-diet-c9214ff081d2

...Eat plant-based foods, like vegetables, fruits, beans, soy, grains, rice and nuts. Don’t eat meat, poultry, fish or seafood of any kind. What other foods you can eat will depend on what kind of vegetarian diet you follow:
    • Lacto-ovo-vegetarian: Eats dairy and eggs. Does not eat fish or meat.
    • Lacto-vegetarian: Eats dairy. Does not eat meat, fish, or eggs.
    • Vegan: No meat, fish, eggs or dairy.

No, I eat lots of fish, chicken and veggies. I am retired career military and a combat vet of 3 wars who had a heart transplant a few years ago and even though I've been a My Fitness Pal for a few years I'm a rookie/newbie on this community forum. Thanks for the definitions I know what a vegetarian is and I love hunting and fishing too.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    I've recently started hiking in a new place, noticed the 2019 Deer Management Plan on their website, and thought of this thread.

While the main thrust of this article is about reducing affects of deer overpopulation on "forests, water resources, or plant growth on department-owned land," deer overpopulation is also very bad for the deer, as there is not enough food for them in the winter. Deer population used to be kept in check by natural predators, which humans have mostly eliminated in the places I've lived.

https://friendsofthebluehills.org/deer2019/

Barbara Kingsolver writes eloquently about the importance of (animal) predators in a balanced ecosystem in Prodigal Summer.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options

Yes. I'm just curious at the Venn intersection of "against hunting" and "for wind energy".
  • michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    i kinda a mire people who hunt. as long as it's for food. if i had to i'd be vegetarian and i would inspect a lot of people would be.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    adampeart wrote: »
    There's a massive difference between trophy hunting (cruel/evil) and hunting for food.

How is shooting a large trophy buck and eating him any more cruel/evil than shooting a doe and eating her?
    What about mounting his antlers makes his death worse?
    Trophy hunting, hunting for food and responsible wildlife management are not mutually exclusive.

Even hunting for animals not typically hunted for food can be (and generally is) part of responsible wildlife management to ensure healthy populations.

While technically not hunting, I trapped chipmunks all last summer. We had a bumper crop and they were digging up bulbs in the garden and planters as well as chewing through the mortar to make nests between the facing and the drywall of the garage. Necessary wildlife management. The snakes and carrion eaters got fat this year. The only thing I see as cruel would be if I chose to use glue or bait traps instead of snap traps that (usually) kill instantly.
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options

Yes. I'm just curious at the Venn intersection of "against hunting" and "for wind energy".

Except wind energy probably reduces bird deaths when all factors considered. Birds have very sensitive lungs, removing the air pollution from coal power and replacing it with wind should protect more birds on the balance.
  • katermari
    katermari Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I wonder if the people handing out "disagrees" do the same for suggestions about eating chicken and beef?
    How is quickly and humanely killing a pheasant or deer for food any different than taking livestock to a slaughterhouse?

i am a vegetarian, i support humane hunting.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Saw this old thread and now I want to speak out. About hunting: I have a lot of concerns for this topic. My dad was a hunter and he passed away not too long ago. I used to hunt with him, but I didn't really like it. For me it was more an obligation or something like that. The point is - now I own my old man's rifle and I don't know what to do with it. Should I start to hunt too or should I sell this rifle? Right now it needs some repair. For example, it needs a new scope. I have found a review of scopes on one site and I will buy one of it. But after that... I don't know. My dad was a hunter, his dad was a hunter. It's like hunter dynasty. And I don't know if I'm the one who need to break a circle. Maybe yes, maybe no.

You shouldn't hunt out of obligation to anyone. If you have a family member who does enjoy it, maybe it would be good to sell or give them them rifle. Otherwise, find a reputable store that can buy the rifle so that it can be transferred responsibly.