Tiredness

Hi all,

Looking for advise!

I'm not a lazy individual...I'm relatively active with work, walking the dogs and gym however, every morning I always feel overly tired and more often than not throughout the day. Now it's not a fatigued tiredness, I just feel like I've never had enough sleep and could sleep all day lol. My diet is rather good, plenty veg and fruit aswell as water and for the past couple month I have been using Floradix...supposed to fight tiredness and fatigue aswell as boost iron and vitamins.

Is anyone else in this same position??
Is there something you have done or doing that has or is helping??
Did you seek medical advise??

Replies

• liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    I wouldn't recommend a male take an iron supplement. Floradix has iron in it, your symptoms could be a result of having too much iron.

If you are fatigued I would stop taking Floradix and see a Dr. , Iron supplements can be a real problem for males (assuming your avi is you).

• peachvine29
    peachvine29 Posts: 400 Member
    Here's an enlightening article: https://www.healthline.com/health/daytime-sleepiness/reasons-youre-tired
    Does any of that sound like it could be true for you? Also, do you happen to be cutting/in a calorie deficit at the moment?
  • bvrail
    bvrail Posts: 1 Member
    Hi, I have a similar problem. My doctor recommended I do a sleep study so that my sleep could be analysed by medical professionals. She said that most insurances will pay for it. Good luck!
  • liftingbro
    There are a ton of things that cause fatigue, depression, lack of exercise, and many medical problems. That's why I would say go to the Dr., fatigue is just so prevalent for many health problems there's no way we can really be much help on that here. But I would probably stop taking the iron supplement until you find out what the issue is because too much iron can make you fatigued as well, particularly in men.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    @peachvine29 gave a great reference.

I am not a huge fan of sleep doctors. Some are good, others are in it for the $$. The problem with an off-site sleep test is that no one sleeps well in an unfamiliar location. You'll just end up with a CPAP whether you need it or not.

However, if you are really having problems breathing while sleeping, a CPAP can be a game changer. Talk to your regular doc first. If you sleep with someone, ask them if you snore or choke in your sleep. If you are alone, ask your doc about an at-home sleep test.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,031 Member
    @peachvine29 gave a great reference.

I am not a huge fan of sleep doctors. Some are good, others are in it for the $$. The problem with an off-site sleep test is that no one sleeps well in an unfamiliar location. You'll just end up with a CPAP whether you need it or not.

However, if you are really having problems breathing while sleeping, a CPAP can be a game changer. Talk to your regular doc first. If you sleep with someone, ask them if you snore or choke in your sleep. If you are alone, ask your doc about an at-home sleep test.

The bolded is a little broad-brush, in my experience.

I have sleep apnea, first diagnosed almost 20 years ago, and am now in the process of my 3rd set of sleep center retesting over that period (for APAP pressure re-assessment).

True, most people don't sleep well there. I don't, though I usually sleep as well away from home, as at home. The lack of good sleep for one night at a center is NBD, just don't plan a challenging day the next day. :lol:

And I know multiple people (with sleep problems) who went through sleep center testing, and were found not to have sleep apnea. (They wish it had been that simple.)

It's like sleeping at a hotel or hospital, but with lots of electrodes glued on various parts of your body (not painful) . I find it interesting and kind of fun, actually.

Nothing wrong with an in home study for basic cases, though the sleep center ones can provide more data, if there are any complexities.

OP, I agree with the general recommendation to see your doctor, to discuss your fatigue, and get appropriate tests (potentially including sleep tests).

People who are not overweight can have sleep apnea (I'm at a healthy weight and have it), though it is more common among people with some excess weight.

If you've been losing weight rapidly (1% or more of body weight, though it's possible with less), then I'd suspect that as a potential cause.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,835 Member
    swaino204 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Looking for advise!

I'm not a lazy individual...I'm relatively active with work, walking the dogs and gym however, every morning I always feel overly tired and more often than not throughout the day. Now it's not a fatigued tiredness, I just feel like I've never had enough sleep and could sleep all day lol. My diet is rather good, plenty veg and fruit aswell as water and for the past couple month I have been using Floradix...supposed to fight tiredness and fatigue aswell as boost iron and vitamins.

Unless I've missed it, you don't mention how much you sleep at night.
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Go see your doctor and get some blood tests done on your vitamin and mineral levels. Track *all* your symptoms as they can help narrow things down. Find out if your doctor will recommend you get a sleep study done.

No one can really diagnose you here, because there are a million things that can cause this kind of sleepiness/fatigue. PERSONALLY, I've had low D, low B12, low thyroid, low iron, and low BP cause fatigue. Plus, when my adderall wears off it makes me exceedingly tired for about 15 minutes.

You can't just treat most of these things blind, especially not if the only symptom is fatigue. :P It seems like EVERYTHING causes that symptom, INCLUDING perfectly normal responses to a new exercise routine.

Your fastest, probably healthiest results will come from visiting a doctor and getting a few tests done to figure out WHAT to treat, rather than just trial-and-erroring a few things you read about on the internet...
  • swaino204
    swaino204 Posts: 20 Member
    Here's an enlightening article: https://www.healthline.com/health/daytime-sleepiness/reasons-youre-tired
    Does any of that sound like it could be true for you? Also, do you happen to be cutting/in a calorie deficit at the moment?

Cheers for that article Peach! Sleep apnea could be a cause. A while ago now I was waking up due to not breathing. Scary although it hasn't happened for quite some time. Docs the way forward I think!
  • swaino204
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Looking for advise!

Unless I've missed it, you don't mention how much you sleep at night.

I am usually getting 6 - 7hrs midweek on weekends I'll be getting at least 8
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Hi all,

Looking for advise!

When my anemia is untreated I have crippling fatigue, but I do not recommend people supplement with iron without having had blood work that shows it is needed.

Others have asked about your sleep so I will ask about your calories:

Are you properly fueling your activity? If you are on the site to lose weight (not everyone is, so I do not want to make that assumption) how much weight do you need to lose total and what weekly weight loss goal did you chose? What percent of calories that you earned from exercise do you eat back? Undereating can definitely cause fatigue.

9kjwnia17qv9.jpg
  • swaino204
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    Have you seen your doctor and had blood tests to rule out medical issues? That should be your first stop.
    apullum wrote: »
    See your doctor.

Whenever anyone says that they are sleeping yet don't feel rested, I recommend asking the doctor whether sleep apnea is a possibility. That is a classic description of sleep apnea, and is what all four of the men in my family who have it experienced. None of them believed that anything was wrong and all of them put off or resisted going to the doctor; now, they all swear by their CPAP machines. Sleep apnea is more common in men than in women, and it can be dangerous if not treated.

Other things to consider, in addition to seeing your doctor:

If you are trying to lose weight: how much weight are you trying to lose, what pace of weight loss did you select, and how many calories are you eating per day? Fatigue can happen due to an overly aggressive deficit.

Is this level of activity new for you, or had you been similarly active for a long time before your tiredness started? If this is a new level of activity, then it could simply be doing too much too soon.
    Go see your doctor and get some blood tests done on your vitamin and mineral levels. Track *all* your symptoms as they can help narrow things down. Find out if your doctor will recommend you get a sleep study done.

No one can really diagnose you here, because there are a million things that can cause this kind of sleepiness/fatigue. PERSONALLY, I've had low D, low B12, low thyroid, low iron, and low BP cause fatigue. Plus, when my adderall wears off it makes me exceedingly tired for about 15 minutes.

You can't just treat most of these things blind, especially not if the only symptom is fatigue. :P It seems like EVERYTHING causes that symptom, INCLUDING perfectly normal responses to a new exercise routine.

Your fastest, probably healthiest results will come from visiting a doctor and getting a few tests done to figure out WHAT to treat, rather than just trial-and-erroring a few things you read about on the internet...

Thanks for your replies!

Doctors it is....let the experts get to the bottom of it.

Many thanks!!
  • liftingbro

Cheers for that article Peach! Sleep apnea could be a cause. A while ago now I was waking up due to not breathing. Scary although it hasn't happened for quite some time. Docs the way forward I think!

Yes, you could stop breathing while sleeping and not wake up every time so it may be happening more frequently than you think.
  • katermari
    katermari Posts: 137 Member
    ive gone to the doctor for this, and they found NOTHING. blood tests all came back normal.
  • liftingbro
    katermari wrote: »
    ive gone to the doctor for this, and they found NOTHING. blood tests all came back normal.
    If it's a sleep disorder your labs will likely be normal.
  • swaino204
    liftingbro wrote: »

Yes, you could stop breathing while sleeping and not wake up every time so it may be happening more frequently than you think.

I'd of thought I would of woke up tho. I went through a phase where it was happening for a while but like I say I feel like it hasn't happened for a while...or so I think
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    liftingbro wrote: »
    katermari wrote: »
    If it's a sleep disorder your labs will likely be normal.

Yup. Sleep disorders tend to run in my family. My mother has insomnia, my oldest son has narcolepsy. I've never been tested, but require 8-10hrs of sleep to function well. I have a sleep study scheduled for my middle son in February.