Cardio

Options
How can I get a good cardio in when my half my leg cramps and the other half goes numb when I get my Heart rate up? The doctors have done all kinds of testing and can't figure it out.

Replies

• jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    How severe is the cramping and numbness? Like can't continue on type? Does it kick in right away? Can you take breaks in between then keep going? I'm a pretty strong believer that if theres a will theres a way, you just gotta find it
  • sweetposs2427
    sweetposs2427 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    The numbness eventually turns to pain. The cramping doesn't take long to start once my heart rate gets up and it'll stop ya. I have to rest for 15 minutes or so for the cramping, the numbness takes hours (not the pain part).
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,147 Member
    Options
    To make progress, you don't need to get your heart rate up very far starting from day 1.

Sure, that's probably what you want in the longer run.

But someone who's been quite inactive, and/or has physical challenges, may need to start with much lower intensity, and shorter durations, and gradually work up to bring able to hit the target heart rate.

Have you tried different types of exercise? Some people do well with something like walking in a pool, where the buoyancy and water support may help.

Have your doctors referred you to physical therapy, to work with a professional who can assess your movement patterns and help you get started in a less painful way? If not, that might be something to ask about.

Best wishes: Hoping you can find a solution!
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    What sort of doctors and what sorts of tests? For now, I suspect your best option for now (even nothing is wrong, which hopefully is the case) would be to slowly work up to higher intensity exercise. That may mean doing a lot of walking, walking in the pool, slow cycling (potentially on an exercise bike/indoor recumbent bike) before you start doing things that will bring your HR up higher.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    pool activities might help
    or chair-chair yoga, sit and be fit
  • mojavemtbr
    mojavemtbr Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Leg cramping can sometimes be helped by taking a Potassium supplement. Have you tried taking potassium to see if it may help ?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    mojavemtbr wrote: »
    Leg cramping can sometimes be helped by taking a Potassium supplement. Have you tried taking potassium to see if it may help ?

People shouldn't supplement potassium unless it's advised by their doctor. It can be dangerous, especially in the context of an undiagnosed condition like OP's.
  • mojavemtbr
    edited January 2020
    Options

People shouldn't supplement potassium unless it's advised by their doctor. It can be dangerous, especially in the context of an undiagnosed condition like OP's.

A normal low dose of potassium supplement is not going to be "dangerous". Its merely an extra boost of a essential mineral. If she is really concerned about it then eat a banana or avocado.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

A normal low dose of potassium supplement is not going to be "dangerous". Its merely an extra boost of a essential mineral. If she is really concerned about it then eat a banana or avocado.

How can you possibly know that supplementing potassium won't be dangerous?

The fact that something is essential doesn't mean that supplementing can't be dangerous.

Can you find a reliable source that supports your recommendation to supplement potassium without consulting a doctor in a situation like this?
  • MsArriabella
    MsArriabella Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    You could do something like arm cycling or rowing that wouldn't put much or any stress on your legs.
  • mojavemtbr
    edited January 2020
    Options

The fact that something is essential doesn't mean that supplementing can't be dangerous.

Can you find a reliable source that supports your recommendation to supplement potassium without consulting a doctor in a situation like this?

Like I said then if its really a concern about an over the counter mineral supplement, then eat a banana or avocado.
    Your argument about a certain supplement has been used similarly for many different kinds of mineral, vitamin, or herbal supplements. Yet people take modest doses of these every day and dont die...in.my view you are being an alarmist. If you are scared of it then dont take it....lol. You dont have to always consult a doctor for every minute nutritional decision you make in life as long as you dont go to extremes....sheesh.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options

Like I said then if its really a concern about an over the counter mineral supplement, then eat a banana or avocado.
    Your argument about a potassium supplement has been used for many different kinds of mineral, vitamin, or herbal supplements. Yet people take modest doses of these every day and dont die...in.my view you are being an alarmist. If you are scared of it then dont take it....lol

virtually every medical website out there from WebMD to Harvard say not to supplement potassium without talking to your doctor. Too much potassium can be deadly...it can also interfere with certain medications and people with certain medical conditions shouldn't supplement potassium. Pretty sure I've never heard any one say don't take a multi-vitamin because it could do harm...waste of money maybe, but nobody has ever said a multi is going to cause harm.
  • mojavemtbr
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Your argument about a potassium supplement has been used for many different kinds of mineral, vitamin, or herbal supplements. Yet people take modest doses of these every day and dont die...in.my view you are being an alarmist. If you are scared of it then dont take it....lol

virtually every medical website out there from WebMD to Harvard say not to supplement potassium without talking to your doctor. Too much potassium can be deadly...it can also interfere with certain medications and people with certain medical conditions shouldn't supplement potassium. Pretty sure I've never heard any one say don't take a multi-vitamin because it could do harm...waste of money maybe, but nobody has ever said a multi is going to cause harm.

Oh....really. Then explain to me then why if the USRDA of Potassium for adults is 4,700mg and a 1 cup serving of Avocado has 780 mg of Potassuim then why would taking two 550 mg capsules of Nature Made Potassium Gluconate (as an example) per day be so dangerously high of a dosage of Potassium ???
    Again your just being an alarmist.
    Yes if you took like 20 capsules a day then yeah there would be an issue. But otherwise your fear of a regular couple capsules of potassium a day supplementation is highly overblown.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Oh....really. Then explain to me then why if the USRDA of Potassium for adults is 4,700mg and a 1 cup serving of Avocado has 780 mg of Potassuim then why would taking two 550 mg capsules of Nature Made Potassium Gluconate (as an example) per day be so dangerously high of a dosage of Potassium ???
    Again your just being an alarmist.
    Yes if you took like 20 capsules a day then yeah there would be an issue. But otherwise your fear of a regular couple capsules of potassium a day supplementation is highly overblown.
    Side effects. In high doses, potassium can be dangerous. Do not take potassium supplements without talking to you doctor. At normal doses, potassium is fairly safe. It may cause an upset stomach. Some people have allergies to potassium supplements.
    Warnings. People with kidney disease, diabetes, heart disease, Addison's disease, stomach ulcers, or other health problems should never take potassium supplements without talking to a doctor first.

https://www.webmd.com/diet/supplement-guide-potassium#2
    Many blood pressure medications—especially the commonly prescribed class known as diuretics—can affect your potassium level. But while some diuretics tend to lower potassium levels, others have the opposite effect. And certain ACE inhibitors, such as lisinopril (Prinvil, Zestril) or ramipril (Altace), may also raise potassium levels. So can common painkillers such as ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin) or naproxen (Aleve).

Keeping your blood potassium level in the correct range is important, because this mineral also plays a key role in the function of nerves and muscles, including heart muscle. Your kidneys help regulate potassium levels in your blood. But age, diabetes, heart failure, and certain other conditions may impair kidney function. As a result, potassium levels can rise to high levels, leading to dangerous heart rhythm problems and even cardiac arrest.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/should-i-take-a-potassium-supplement

Are WebMD and Harvard just being alarmist? You don't know jack *kitten* about the OP, medical history, medications, etc...
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I used to get cramps when I started swimming. Eating pretzels or pickle before helped. I have to take magnesium supplement at night now or I get muscle spasms or cramps. You could also try an electrolyte drink(like propel... they make a zero calorie). Switching up your exercise to get weight off of the affected area might be good. Swimming, recumbent bike, yoga, Pilates, chair workouts. Try some different things and see what works for you.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,147 Member
    Options
    You could do something like arm cycling or rowing that wouldn't put much or any stress on your legs.

Just as clarification: Rowing, properly done, is predominantly a leg-powered exercise, despite the common perception that it's about upper body. So, probably not a good idea for OP, unless - counter to what I'd expect - the leg cramping is about impact** on the legs rather than circulation, fueling, nutrition, exertion, or something of that nature.

** Rowing is low impact, but there's a lot of pressure on the legs, the difference between which can make a difference in scenarios other than - probably - the OP's.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    Leg cramping can sometimes be helped by taking a Potassium supplement.

She gets numbness too, so it's probably a circulatory issue. She said in another thread she has multiple heart issues, so definitely no supplements without a doctor's approval.

OP - you might need to expand your medical team to find the cause. In the mean time, if you are trying to lose weight, remember that cardio is not required - only a calorie deficit is. For general health, try to walk frequently, even if it's short.
    What gets numb & cramps, your thighs? or just your calves?
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Just as clarification: Rowing, properly done, is predominantly a leg-powered exercise, despite the common perception that it's about upper body. So, probably not a good idea for OP, unless - counter to what I'd expect - the leg cramping is about impact** on the legs rather than circulation, fueling, nutrition, exertion, or something of that nature.

** Rowing is low impact, but there's a lot of pressure on the legs, the difference between which can make a difference in scenarios other than - probably - the OP's.

She also referenced symptoms when her heart rate increases. Rowing can be a very strenuous cardio workout, so this might not suit her needs. Walking in a pool might be good. Working against the resistance of the water makes it challenging, but you're being supported by it as well.
  • sweetposs2427
    sweetposs2427 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I was a runner when the leg problems started, even a stationary bike cause cramping and eventual numbness. Very limited on arm exercises that require 2 arms.
    I've seen ortho, vascular, and have had physical therapy several times. Thigh gets numb and eventually turns to pain in lower right abdomen, calf cramps. I had blot clot in affected leg years ago. The cramping started after heart failure.
    I'm on magnesium and potassium via cardiologist. I have permission medically to exercise.