i'm so hungry, and i need to not be.

i'm 160 lbs and am shooting for 1200 calories a day. i know starting a diet is the hardest part, but not only does feeling hungry hurt, but i also get HANGRY. i eat two meals a day, no snacks, and have a slimfast shake if i'm hungry enough between the two meals. i keep yelling at my stomach, telling it that it can't be hungry, but naturally, it doesn't listen. T_T

what are good ways to curve appetite without hurting my diet?

Replies

• jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    So were similar weight, I am currently eating about 1500-1600 cals per day and losing . 1200 is really low. If your exercising be sure your eating back your exercise calories. You need something sustainable. If you need to eat more to stick with it eat more.
  • Dani9585
    Dani9585 Posts: 215 Member
    You have received great advice - good luck
  • AmyG1982
    AmyG1982 Posts: 1,040 Member
    I agree 1200 is really low but I do find no matter what changes I make I’m always really hungry at first. I think it’s normal to be a little hungry. I find eating lower carb, higher fat and protein more satiating for me personally but the first couple weeks and I’m always ravenous! After. Week or two it seems to level out and I can manage to stay below my calories much easier.

Eat fibre, fat and protein to be a little fuller and drink a TON of water.
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,975 Member
    Eat fat and protein, give your body something to work with. Eating frequently, will also cause repeated insulin spikes and your body will never burn any fat, it will run on all of the carbs/sugar your giving it. Slimfast shakes sell so well because people keep buying them - nobody gets slim fast on Slimfast.
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Ugh the Slim fast, I love the taste but tbh it makes me HUNGRIER if I drink it alone! I'll sometimes have it as part of a breakfast, say egg white omelet(ingredients measured is about 150 cals) +the slim fast which when mixed with almond milk is about the same so a 300 calorie breakfast, either cut the slim fast and eat real food or try to work it in like I do, like I said I only drink it cuz I like the taste🤷
  • lallaloolly
    lallaloolly Posts: 228 Member
    edited January 2020
    a year ago i started my weight loss journey at 160 lbs, and lost weight rapidly (was 145 lbs within 3-4 months), primarily by cutting out all added sugars/processed foods and eating whole foods. (i did whole30 for one month and then added rice, beans, corn, and moderate alcohol back into my diet). like one of the commenters above, i also ate about 1500-1600 calories a day, always ate three meals a day, with no snacks. after an initial adjustment period (less than a week), i never had energy/sugar crashes or hunger pangs.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    What pace of weight loss did you select? Many women get a calorie goal of 1200 because they selected an overly aggressive pace of loss for their current stats. At 160 pounds, you should be targeting a 0.5 or 1 lb/week loss depending on how tall you are.
  • kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    First, ditch the shake. From Sept. 3rd to Nov. 9th, I lost about 15lbs eating btw 1200-1300 calories a day. I ate 3 meals and 3 snacks of real food. It can be done. And after a period of time, sometimes I even skipped a snack or 2...

Second, how long have you been doing this? For me, when I start any kind of calorie restriction, I'm miserable for about 2 weeks. I call it "I ate crap for a long time and now my body is crying". After 2 weeks, I'm back to my old self and the lack of food/calories doesn't seem to bother me. If it's less than 2 weeks, hang in there.

Third, 1200 calories MAY be a calorie level that is just too low. I would need to know how many pounds you want to lose before I can recommend a reasonable rate of loss. Fast isn't the best or only way. Finding something you can stick to is. It's ALL about consistency.
  • I’m 136 pounds and eat 1800 to lose half a pound a week. If 1200 is making you hungry eat more calories. As others have said plug in your stats and set the rate of loss to a less aggressive loss than you currently have.
  • MichelleMcKeeRN
    MichelleMcKeeRN Posts: 450 Member
    I am 5’2” 145lbs and lose weight at 1495 calories. I do *try* to balance my macros and that really helps with hunger. Have you tried clean eating, more food, more water...?
  • Tennisskater
    Tennisskater Posts: 66 Member
    I like eating the white part if a hard boiled egg in between meals- I make a bunch and keep in fridge. The process of peeling and eating is very satisfying to me + the protein is 👍
  • nytrifisoul
    nytrifisoul Posts: 500 Member
    edited January 2020
    Drink coffee black with sweetner in the morning, and afternoon. Nothing else. Maybe its just me, but the caffeine rush takes my appetite away. Try and make it till dinner time and eat a big meal (800 ish calories) , then close to bed time eat a 400 ish snack. I sleep like a baby doing this. I think the term is called intermediate fasting nowadays. 20 years ago it was called the warrior diet, and was frowned upon by most know-it-alls. I swear by it. Its worked for me for 20 years, i just like to jump off the wagon every 5 years, but thats just me, not the method.