Losing Body Fat - Intermittent Fasting

Options
Hi, I'm I'm no stranger to the gym, but I have never took it serious enough to worry bout my body fat percentage. I'm now at a stage after a year solid at the gym I want to see serious results so I'm now looking at cutting back my body fat. Im going to delve into the intermittent fasting routine 16:8, and so far so good after only a few days. I'm determined to stick to it. I like my weights, but I also fit a good 15 to 20 mins of cardio in maybe every second session. I'm at gym 4 5 times a week working on one muscle group at a time, or a big muscle group and small muscle group i.e Monday: arms, Tuesday: Shoulders, traps, Wed: Chest and abs ect....
I'm not in the shape I thought I would be after a year, maybe being hard on myself I dunno, but I would like to hear folks experiences on how they cut their body fat percentage and if its as tough as it sounds. And if intermittent fasting is a good way of achieving this?
Advice on this would be great! 😊

Replies

• UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I've been intermittent fasting for a while now, but I don't do it for weight/fat loss - rather, I do it for the other health benefits. I have not noticed any change in my weight or body composition since starting IF, but I'm already at my goal. I will say that IF makes it pretty easy to maintain. I lost about 50 lbs in 2011 and have kept most of it off for nine years now.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm I'm no stranger to the gym, but I have never took it serious enough to worry bout my body fat percentage. I'm now at a stage after a year solid at the gym I want to see serious results so I'm now looking at cutting back my body fat. Im going to delve into the intermittent fasting routine 16:8, and so far so good after only a few days. I'm determined to stick to it. I like my weights, but I also fit a good 15 to 20 mins of cardio in maybe every second session. I'm at gym 4 5 times a week working on one muscle group at a time, or a big muscle group and small muscle group i.e Monday: arms, Tuesday: Shoulders, traps, Wed: Chest and abs ect....
    I'm not in the shape I thought I would be after a year, maybe being hard on myself I dunno, but I would like to hear folks experiences on how they cut their body fat percentage and if its as tough as it sounds. And if intermittent fasting is a good way of achieving this?
    Advice on this would be great! 😊

Do you have weight to lose, or do you really need to build more muscle?

While neither of these posts is specifically geared toward your question, they both involve improving your physique when you are already a healthy weight:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach/p1

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1

The only affect your eating schedule will have on your body fat % is making it easier or harder to stick to the right calorie goal, and perhaps affect your energy level.

:drinker:
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    "Losing Body Fat - Intermittent Fasting" - the two things are unrelated.

You can IF and lose, gain or maintain body fat levels.
    You can eat any number of meals/snacks a day that you can fit in and lose, gain or maintain body fat levels.

I cut my BF% with a different IF protocol because it helped me adhere to a sensible weekly calorie allowance and supported my exercise routine well.
    I've also maintained at goal weight with strict 16:8 IF but found it a bit of a PITA.
    I've also gained fat / lost muscle with informal skipping of breakfast (due to injury disrupting my training).

Main advice would be to optimise your training as that's what initiates and drives your muscle gain, diet merely supports the process. TBH, you are lookng in the wrong place, magic happens in the gym but the fastest way to cut body fat is a sustained (and sustainable) calorie deficit. The sustainable part is where IF can help some people.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    what are your training goals?
    how did you come up with your workout routine?

I ask as, your training protocol doesn't sound all that good to me. here is a list of tried tested and true routines that you may want to look into based on timing and your goals:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

fyi: h27zjawgvyoy.jpg
  • StuartGoldie1986
    StuartGoldie1986 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    It's all about those calories. Intermittent fasting helps some people achieve a calorie deficit easier. I lost 60 pounds in a variety of eating schedules/diets but the bottom line was adhering to a calorie deficit. Intermittent fasting won't help you lose weight if you are eating at or above maintenance calories.

So are you eating at a calorie deficit? I didn't see anything in your post about eating fewer calories.

So today I've consumed 1645 calories, my intake is to be 1500, but I still have a work out to do after work in the next hour, I won't eat again till 12 tomorrow. I plan on doing 20 mins cardio which normally burns around 245 calories, and then I will do a chest workout. I'm 12st 12lbs 5"10, body fat 17.4%. I tend to fluctuate between 16% and 17.5%, I was 21% BF beginning of last year, but I wasn't really bothered bout that, was more intrested in filling out a t shirt which I have done, but I'm now more obsessed and it's it's all about my midrift now.lol. I don't even know if losing much weight will help but then is that possible if u want to lose body fat?
  • StuartGoldie1986
    Options
    wmd1979 wrote: »
    If you want to cut body fat, you need a calorie deficit. Resistance training to build/retain muscle is also very important, but IF isn't necessary at all unless that is the only way to achieve the calorie deficit. You just need a good strength training routine, a calorie deficit, and adequate protein.

My main goal last year was to really just fill out a t shirt, I've done that, I want to concentrate on the midrift now. But I dont want to lose what I've worked on. I will be going to gym tonight after work, routine is all different times due to my work schedule but I'm still getting them sessions in. 4 or 5 weekly, and only recently I've been under my calorie intake, but I'm actually not sure wether I need to lose weight, but surely losing Body fat u will naturally lose a few lbs. I'm 12st 12lbs 5"10 body fat 17.4%. Seem to go between 16% and 17.5% I was 21% when I first started. So I'm making progress although it's slow 😂
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    It's all about those calories. Intermittent fasting helps some people achieve a calorie deficit easier. I lost 60 pounds in a variety of eating schedules/diets but the bottom line was adhering to a calorie deficit. Intermittent fasting won't help you lose weight if you are eating at or above maintenance calories.

So are you eating at a calorie deficit? I didn't see anything in your post about eating fewer calories.

So today I've consumed 1645 calories, my intake is to be 1500, but I still have a work out to do after work in the next hour, I won't eat again till 12 tomorrow. I plan on doing 20 mins cardio which normally burns around 245 calories, and then I will do a chest workout. I'm 12st 12lbs 5"10, body fat 17.4%. I tend to fluctuate between 16% and 17.5%, I was 21% BF beginning of last year, but I wasn't really bothered bout that, was more intrested in filling out a t shirt which I have done, but I'm now more obsessed and it's it's all about my midrift now.lol. I don't even know if losing much weight will help but then is that possible if u want to lose body fat?

1500 is the bare minimum number of calories recommended for men, and it does not include any exercise calories. If your logging is accurate, then you may be undereating.
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    I've been doing 16:8 IF almost every day for 7 months. (Actually, I've been doing 17:7 lately, I find it quite a bit easier - 7 hour eating window instead of 8. It sounds counterintuitive, but a narrower eating window can lead to less hunger signaling).

IF itself won't help you lose weight or lower your body fat %, only calorie restriction will do that. So make sure you're counting calories carefully and staying at an appropriate calorie deficit. That is far more important than the eating schedule.

As to IF, you asked for advice so I will give you one piece of advice. When I first got into IF I was something of an IF evangelist with my friends, extolling its benefits, which for me were:
    • getting two full-size "real" non-diet meals each day instead of more smaller meals/snacks, which made it easy to stay within my calorie limit without feeling deprived
    • total 100 % elimination of nighttime snacking, which is probably where I gained my excess weight in the first place
    • elimination of hunger pangs, which many IF devotees talk about, I found that improbable and then entirely true.

Some of my friends got excited and jumped on board, and then were done with IF within a weeks. So of course I queried "why" and the answer is, the ones who fell off the wagon didn't fully do IF. Bottom line: if you're gonna do it, DO IT. That means no eating outside the window. Water, black coffee, that's it. The "why" is not hard to understand. IF's benefits exist only because they help people adopt a self-discipline that counteracts previous bad habits: snacking, grazing, responding to every tiny hunger pang with a snack, etc. Learning not to eat for large stretches of time each day, and most importantly learning to ignore hunger pangs or just be hungry now and then without responding to it, are the key, very valuable skills of IF and are what makes it work. If every time you feel a little hungry outside the window you allow yourself a snack, you will fall off IF very fast.

That said, my corollary piece of advice is to know when it's time to step off the IF train for a night. Everyone except hermits in caves has nights out with friends or family or social engagements or work-related parties, or whatever. It's impossible to do IF during the times when those things are happening. Instead of stressing about it, know when to hit the pause key on IF and just go have a good time. Since weight loss is only dependent on calories, taking an occasional day off IF does no harm. You can just pick up the IF thread the next morning. IF only works if you can work it into your life as it exists with all its social commitments and scheduling hiccups, otherwise it becomes onerous and pointless. The point of any way of eating is to make it easier to diet, not harder.
  • StuartGoldie1986
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »

I ask as, your training protocol doesn't sound all that good to me. here is a list of tried tested and true routines that you may want to look into based on timing and your goals:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

My main goal last year was to really just fill out a t shirt. I'm 12st 12lbs 5"10 body fat 17.4%. Seem to go between 16% and 17.5% I was 21% when I first started. So I'm making progress although it's slow.
    I have a routine, I do a daily muscle workout i.e
    Mondays: shoulders, traps,
    Tuesdays: chest and abs,
    Wednesday: arms
    Thursday: back,
    Friday legs.
    Weekend off normally. Maybe chuck the days around now and again but that's my routine. I also get 20 min cardio in every second session or so.
    I hit my muscles groups from different directions too, I do four to 5 different workouts 4 sets each workout at 8 - 10 reps each time. I feel absolutely battered in the muscle area I'm working on and feel as if I'm maxed out every workout. Dunno what more there's is to do really. Advice is very appreciated. Perhaps there's more I need to do. Or I need to keep plodding on with slow progress and get there when mu busy decides to lol
  • StuartGoldie1986
    Options
    lgfrie wrote: »
    I've been doing 16:8 IF almost every day for 7 months. (Actually, I've been doing 17:7 lately, I find it quite a bit easier - 7 hour eating window instead of 8. It sounds counterintuitive, but a narrower eating window can lead to less hunger signaling).

IF itself won't help you lose weight or lower your body fat %, only calorie restriction will do that. So make sure you're counting calories carefully and staying at an appropriate calorie deficit. That is far more important than the eating schedule.

As to IF, you asked for advice so I will give you one piece of advice. When I first got into IF I was something of an IF evangelist with my friends, extolling its benefits, which for me were:
    • getting two full-size "real" non-diet meals each day instead of more smaller meals/snacks, which made it easy to stay within my calorie limit without feeling deprived
    • total 100 % elimination of nighttime snacking, which is probably where I gained my excess weight in the first place
    • elimination of hunger pangs, which many IF devotees talk about, I found that improbable and then entirely true.

Some of my friends got excited and jumped on board, and then were done with IF within a weeks. So of course I queried "why" and the answer is, the ones who fell off the wagon didn't fully do IF. Bottom line: if you're gonna do it, DO IT. That means no eating outside the window. Water, black coffee, that's it. The "why" is not hard to understand. IF's benefits exist only because they help people adopt a self-discipline that counteracts previous bad habits: snacking, grazing, responding to every tiny hunger pang with a snack, etc. Learning not to eat for large stretches of time each day, and most importantly learning to ignore hunger pangs or just be hungry now and then without responding to it, are the key, very valuable skills of IF and are what makes it work. If every time you feel a little hungry outside the window you allow yourself a snack, you will fall off IF very fast.

That said, my corollary piece of advice is to know when it's time to step off the IF train for a night. Everyone except hermits in caves has nights out with friends or family or social engagements or work-related parties, or whatever. It's impossible to do IF during the times when those things are happening. Instead of stressing about it, know when to hit the pause key on IF and just go have a good time. Since weight loss is only dependent on calories, taking an occasional day off IF does no harm. You can just pick up the IF thread the next morning. IF only works if you can work it into your life as it exists with all its social commitments and scheduling hiccups, otherwise it becomes onerous and pointless. The point of any way of eating is to make it easier to diet, not harder.

I'm enjoying it, although I need milk and a sugar in my tea, I can't drink it without. I don't think that's a massive deal as I only have one or two a day. This is my third day on the 16:8 IF, and if I'm honest I'm pretty much fine, I get a little hungry in the morning but I surpass with a bottle of water. Come past 8pm I don't get the urge yet to snack. It's making go to bed earlier though, so that may be why lol. I hear it has health benefits, so that alone should be an incentive to do it. I have IBS and I must say I've felt no twinges or cramps. I usually wake up in the morning, my stomach all crampy and bubbly, most likely due to the rubbish I was eating at night
  • erickirb
    edited January 2020
    Options

My main goal last year was to really just fill out a t shirt. I'm 12st 12lbs 5"10 body fat 17.4%. Seem to go between 16% and 17.5% I was 21% when I first started. So I'm making progress although it's slow.
    Friday legs.
    Weekend off normally. Maybe chuck the days around now and again but that's my routine. I also get 20 min cardio in every second session or so.
    I hit my muscles groups from different directions too, I do four to 5 different workouts 4 sets each workout at 8 - 10 reps each time. I feel absolutely battered in the muscle area I'm working on and feel as if I'm maxed out every workout. Dunno what more there's is to do really. Advice is very appreciated. Perhaps there's more I need to do. Or I need to keep plodding on with slow progress and get there when mu busy decides to lol

How long have you been training?
    I ask as a split like that is typically good for bodybuilders, on gear, that are experienced lifters.
    Did you come up with your program (exercises, reps, sets) or was it a structured program from a trainer?
    I would suggest following a tried tested and true program, if this was not developed for you by a professional

I would suggest more of a lower/upper or push/pull split and hit each muscle group twice/week. Or, if you are a relative newbie, I would do 3 x full-body workouts and hit each muscle group 3 times, but limited exercises per muscle group.

Take a look at some of the programs in my earlier link...

On the calorie side of things, set your goal to lose no more than 1 lb/week, and eat back the calories burned from exercise.
  • StuartGoldie1986
    Options
    apullum wrote: »

1500 is the bare minimum number of calories recommended for men, and it does not include any exercise calories. If your logging is accurate, then you may be undereating.

It's what this app has told me to lose the few lbs I wanted. But tbh I think you're right, as I'm not sure I even need to lose the weight, I want to keep what I've worked on but just getting a little leaner. Hence why I need to lose body fat.
  • erickirb
    Options

It's what this app has told me to lose the few lbs I wanted. But tbh I think you're right, as I'm not sure I even need to lose the weight, I want to keep what I've worked on but just getting a little leaner. Hence why I need to lose body fat.

Did you choose 2lb/week weight loss? I would change that to 1 lb/week and you will get more calories. this site only gives you an output based on your input.:
    Here is a good reference, if you have over 100 lbs to lose you can lose more than 2 lbs/week safely, that being said it is best to set a realistic safe weekly loss goal and:
    If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.
  • StuartGoldie1986
    Options

Friday legs.

I ask as a split like that is typically good for bodybuilders, on gear, that are experienced lifters.
    Did you come up with your program (exercises, reps, sets) or was it a structured program from a trainer?
    I would suggest following a tried tested and true program, if this was not developed for you by a professional

I would suggest more of a lower/upper or push/pull split and hit each muscle group twice/week. Or, if you are a relative newbie, I would do 3 x full-body workouts and hit each muscle group 3 times, but limited exercises per muscle group.

On the calorie side of things, set your goal to lose no more than 1 lb/week, and eat back the calories burned from exercise.

I'm no body builder, but I can lift, I'm not ripped but I look ok body wise and work my *kitten* off in the gym,. it was mainly my diet hence the IF, and no not on gear, Too scared lol. I'm in no hurry so I don't need a fast track. Do u do it naturally?
    I set it the routine up myself started with an app, then just researched over the years, browsing through YouTube, seeing what worked, write out a daily workout and go for it.
    Is creatine a big help I've been on n off that as I didn't feel it worked all that great. I have my protein shakes ect but I don't really go into anything else. Would u recommend any supplements?
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    I'm enjoying it, although I need milk and a sugar in my tea, I can't drink it without. I don't think that's a massive deal as I only have one or two a day. This is my third day on the 16:8 IF, and if I'm honest I'm pretty much fine, I get a little hungry in the morning but I surpass with a bottle of water. Come past 8pm I don't get the urge yet to snack. It's making go to bed earlier though, so that may be why lol. I hear it has health benefits, so that alone should be an incentive to do it. I have IBS and I must say I've felt no twinges or cramps. I usually wake up in the morning, my stomach all crampy and bubbly, most likely due to the rubbish I was eating at night

Yep. I have long had mild IBS and also acid reflux at night. When I started IF, the IBS mostly resolved within a few weeks and the acid reflux at night issue was entirely resolved on Day 1 and has never popped up again.

The only negative I've experienced with IF is some insomnia, frequent waking, that is, which I've noticed other people talking about as well, but so far, the benefits outweigh that cost for me so I've stuck with IF.
  • erickirb
    Options

Friday legs.

I'm no body builder, but I can lift, I'm not ripped but I look ok body wise and work my *kitten* off in the gym,. it was mainly my diet hence the IF, and no not on gear, Too scared lol. I'm in no hurry so I don't need a fast track. Do u do it naturally?
    I set it the routine up myself started with an app, then just researched over the years, browsing through YouTube, seeing what worked, write out a daily workout and go for it.
    Is creatine a big help I've been on n off that as I didn't feel it worked all that great. I have my protein shakes ect but I don't really go into anything else. Would u recommend any supplements?

I don't think anyone needs supplements, if you get everything you need from your diet.

I only asked about the program as only hitting each muscle once a week is more than likely sub-optimal. You can still get results but may take much longer than it needs to.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options

MFP will give you the minimum number of calories if you choose a pace of loss that is too aggressive for your stats. Most people--unless they are very short, sedentary, and/or older--can and should lose weight on more than the bare minimum calories. The pace of loss you should select depends on how much you have to lose, not how fast you want to lose it. If you are trying to lose only a small amount of weight, then 0.5 lb/week is the safest setting for you.
  • StuartGoldie1986
    Options

Did you choose 2lb/week weight loss? I would change that to 1 lb/week and you will get more calories. this site only gives you an output based on your input.:
    Here is a good reference, if you have over 100 lbs to lose you can lose more than 2 lbs/week safely, that being said it is best to set a realistic safe weekly loss goal and:
    If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.

That makes real sense. Lol. It's amazing how much u can get dragged into doing the wrong thing through obsessing about the muscle.
    So shld I even aim to lose weight?
    As tbh I don't know if thats what I need. I want a lean look, you know the abs ect. My arms look great just want the midrift to go with it.
    But I enjoy the challenges. I'm gonna do a full body with tonight. Appreciate ur advice