2»

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    So if you didn't drain it, the most likely scenario is that something went wrong with the weighing -- either the scale is broken or user error, which can happen. A can of beans with water should be more (they vary, but over 400 is normal). The exception would be if it seemed to be well under-filled when you opened it. In that situation, I'd check the cup measurements.

@lemurcat2
    You are talking about a different product. Baked beans aren't in water and you eat the whole contents of the can (cooked haricot beans in a tomato based sauce).
    Also in the UK we typically only use measuring cups for baking and it wouldn't appear on the food labelling as a measurement.

I still don't see how that makes it more likely that the contents of the can would be so much less than the given weight unless it looks much, much smaller.

You can likely find cup measurements on line if you want to check whether it's an issue with the amount in the can vs. the weighing, which was my point (although yes, if no volume measurements on the can that makes it harder).

[Edit: I see OP has concluded that it was the scale, so an issue with the weighing, as I suspected.]
  • katie_adlam
    katie_adlam Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hooray, mystery solved.

You may just need new batteries if it is a digital one.
    If it isn’t, I would recommend the new one being a digital one with a tarre function.

While I was losing I used my big Salter balance scale (I had both metric and imperial weights for it) it was more work but I loved weighing things in the big ‘pan’.
    My digital is much quicker but not as satisfying.

I did notice there were lots of very attractive, colourful, as well functional digital scales available in the UK when I was home last year, moreso than what I see in Canada- ours are more utilitarian looking.

Cheers, h.

I tried new batteries but still seemed to be weighing less, I've just ordered some from Amazon for delivery tomorrow so will try the beans on the new one and hopefully that was the problem! X
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    Tesco Baked beans in tomato sauce 420g tin.
    Weighed whole tin with beans actually weighed =478g
    Weighed empty tin = 60g
    Weighted beans and juice =400g

So given that I could not scrape out every bit of juice this seems about right, but if the 420g on the label is for contents only, then I have been short changed by 20g

I also weighed 3 other full tins and got 480g 484g and 482g so there is some variance between the stated amount on the tin and the actual weight of the full tin. Maybe being a bit short changed on the contents which is hardly surprising.

But on the upside a few less calories in the contents to be consumed.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Never mind. I see the batteries issue was addressed on page 2.
  • kiwiroz
    kiwiroz Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Oh my I saw the original thread and was going to weigh my heinz beans this weekend but I have been beaten to it :p
  • katsheare
    katsheare Posts: 1,025 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    @middlehaitch they were Lidl beans I'll go and weigh something else and see what happens

I'm going to make sure I weigh the next lot of baked beans I do for my son. We have Waitrose and Tesco own brand at home just now (how do you like the Lidl ones, BTW?).

@middlehaitch Baked beans were one of the products that I literally gasped when I saw the price at a US supermarket. I feel your pain!

@manderson27 What have you done with 4 tins worth of baked beans?
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    @manderson27 What have you done with 4 tins worth of baked beans? [/quote]

@katsheare I only opened one to weigh contents and weighed the other 3 unopened just out of curiosity.

I have way to much time on my hands since I retired.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    @katsheare, only baked beans imported from the UK are expensive. I’m in Canada and the Canadian ones are similarly price to UK beans in the UK. (Same in the USA)

Cheers, h.
  • fourtotwentychars
    fourtotwentychars Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    There was some bloke not so long ago who opened a tin of beans and claimed to find one (1) bean swimming in an entire tin of juice.

https://geekologie.com/2019/09/man-opens-can-of-heinz-beans-to-find-onl.php

If the ratio of beans to juice isn't right I expect that would cause the net weight to differ from what it says on the tin. Benas don't float, so they're denser than the juice, so if your beans are light then you've probably got more juice and fewer beans in the tin than you're supposed to.
  • fourtotwentychars
    Options
    In any case Heinz beans are crap; last I heard is that Branston beans were the favourites but my information may be out of date.
  • fourtotwentychars
    Options
    My other top tip for benas is to open the tin from the wrong end, because that way the ones that have settled on the bottom of the tin and won't come out, come out first with the juice behind them helping them out.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    My other top tip for benas is to open the tin from the wrong end, because that way the ones that have settled on the bottom of the tin and won't come out, come out first with the juice behind them helping them out.

One word - Spoon.

Problem solved! 😂
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options

One word - Spoon.

Problem solved! 😂

Oh you and your common sense. :)

One does not simply spoon out baked beans, you need to spend five minutes shaking out the last stubborn one that way you are burning more calories and building muscle, always use alternate arms though. :D

Beans, like anything else that gravity affects, store upside down (I’m talking to you PB and coconut milk).

Cheers, h.
  • fourtotwentychars
    edited January 2020
    Options
    always use alternate arms though. :D

Or you'll end up like Steve Backley with one big arm. He must have use catering size tins of beans for training.

BMF-Backley-18.jpg