speling

Options
13»

Replies

• skittybang
    skittybang Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    You should be very proud of yourself. I know I am.
  • starwhisperer
    Options
    meh, I took Honors American English in high school, three semesters of English in college,I have had some of my writing published, and I read 2 or 3 books a week... but my spelling is horrific. The joy of owning an apple computer is... no one online would ever know that if I didn't tell them. I have much pity for others who can't spell. I think (don't hold me to it) that it was Mark Twain who said, "it is a man with little imagination who can spell a word only one way."
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    meh, I took Honors American English in high school, three semesters of English in college,I have had some of my writing published, and I read 2 or 3 books a week... but my spelling is horrific. The joy of owning an apple computer is... no one online would ever know that if I didn't tell them. I have much pity for others who can't spell. I think (don't hold me to it) that it was Mark Twain who said, "it is a man with little imagination who can spell a word only one way."

"The primal earth, the all-pervading skies,
    The moon that at the sun her wan lip warms,
    The stars and all we guess of them, the swarms
    Of meteors, mists that melt in rainbow dyes,
    The ocean and its world of far-off sighs,
    The forest and its voices, the vague forms
    Of mountains in green twilight, wingéd storms
    That like red eagles from the sunset rise,
    The living things that through their love and hate
    Interpret these by vision to their thought,
    And man that speaks his thought in words, I see;
    And these with life, and death, and love, and fate,
    And all conceptions of my soul, in-wrought,
    Make up the complex whole, my dream of thee"

Obviously John Barlas wrote that sonnet. However, it's a token of my appreciation for your wonderful post ;)
  • starwhisperer
    Options
    Well thank you! My post was certainly not nearly as impressive as that poem though.
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    4530.grammar_crackers.gif
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options

Ehem, I mean, "Spelling words correctly". Is that correct? LOL :)
    [/quote]

AHH. THE PERIOD GOES INSIDE THE QUOTATION MARK. Now I'm just going to keep messing up. Screw it, misspell words all you want, guys! haha :)
    [/quote]

"Ahem."
    [/quote]

I thought so!
  • ericalynn104
    ericalynn104 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Wow. That hurt my brain!! I couldn't agree more!!
  • dragonbait0126
    dragonbait0126 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I've come to expect spelling errors on forums and things such as facebook. Where it really bothers me though is in a professional setting. I finished my degree a couple of months ago and attended school online. I can't tell you how many classmates I had whose spelling and grammer were so horrible I couldn't read their posts. It drove me crazy! I was constantly complaining to my husband especially in my last year of school. These are people who were in their senior year of college, most already had jobs/careers in a professional setting, and their posts were absolutely horrendous. The grammer was just as bad. I remember one person who would have sounded more intelligent if he had just said "my girlfriend's brother's baby's momma" instead of what he actually typed which was something such as "my girl has a brther who got a baby with this othr girl."

Although the complete ridiculousness of some people's comments ranked right up there with the spelling and grammer. One guy tried to argue biblically that the world was only 2011 years old. Needless to say, I smacked him down on that one.
  • _beachgirl_
    _beachgirl_ Posts: 3,865 Member
    Options
    It's I COULDN"T care less! Couldn't people! That is all.
  • kapeluza
    Options

Obviously, what do people say instead??? :huh:
  • dragonbait0126
    dragonbait0126 Posts: 568 Member
    Options

Many people say I COULD care less. Which of course is incorrect for the obvious reasons.
  • Giddeaon
    Options

"A man must be a damned fool, who can't spell a word more than one way."

The quote is actually from an unknown author and was first noted in 1855 in the Jamestown Journal. Twain was fond of repeating it and it was later attributed to him.

I always liked Bronson Alcott's stance. "Devotees of grammatical studies have not been distinguished for any very remarkable felicities of expression."
  • achampionsheart
    achampionsheart Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    i was a spelling bee champ in elementary school and still get mad when i see misspelled words....youre not alone:heart:
  • kapeluza
    Options

Many people say I COULD care less. Which of course is incorrect for the obvious reasons.

lol...............
  • starwhisperer
    Options

"A man must be a damned fool, who can't spell a word more than one way."

The quote is actually from an unknown author and was first noted in 1855 in the Jamestown Journal. Twain was fond of repeating it and it was later attributed to him.

I always liked Bronson Alcott's stance. "Devotees of grammatical studies have not been distinguished for any very remarkable felicities of expression."

OH you are indeed my newest hero! I knew I heard it attributed to him, and arguments against it, so thank you! I hadn't heard the Bronson Alcott one, but it may be my favorite quote now thank you.
  • jendra11339
    Options
    I don't mind the occasional spelling error. I have a horrible time spelling, which is why I switched to Firefox which has a built-in spell checker. What bothers me more is lack of punctuation and the wrong use of capital letters. When a person does not use punctuation and correct capitalization their posts are much harder to read and understand.
  • PowerEqualsStrengthOverTime
    Options
    I've come to expect spelling errors on forums and things such as facebook. Where it really bothers me though is in a professional setting. I finished my degree a couple of months ago and attended school online. I can't tell you how many classmates I had whose spelling and grammer were so horrible I couldn't read their posts. It drove me crazy! I was constantly complaining to my husband especially in my last year of school. These are people who were in their senior year of college, most already had jobs/careers in a professional setting, and their posts were absolutely horrendous. The grammer was just as bad. I remember one person who would have sounded more intelligent if he had just said "my girlfriend's brother's baby's momma" instead of what he actually typed which was something such as "my girl has a brther who got a baby with this othr girl."

Although the complete ridiculousness of some people's comments ranked right up there with the spelling and grammer. One guy tried to argue biblically that the world was only 2011 years old. Needless to say, I smacked him down on that one.

I took ONE online class and decided to never do that again because I couldn't believe the horrible spelling and grammar. We all make mistakes here and there, but my gawd! It was so over the top it was almost impossible to read! And then they'd comment on each other's posts using texting language. I was only 29 and felt like a total outcast around a bunch of young, uneducated kids. We SHOULD NOT continue to graduate people to the next grade when they can't spell. If you can't master BASIC spelling like they're, their and there by the 10th grade, you better get it in check because you're not going to graduate from high school. But we don't do that, and end up looking stupid to the rest of the world. It's one thing if there's a physical reason like dyslexia or a learning disability – that’s where I would expect the kind of mistakes we’re talking about, and it’s understandable there -- but it's entirely, entirely different to be perfectly capable but just flat out lazy and indifferent.