Weight loss appearance

Options
Ok, I have a very odd question/topic. When you were losing weight and you were able to see your body (especially if you were on the heavy side) thinning out, did you think you looked odd when looking at yourself in the mirror? I have lost exactly 50 lbs, a good bit in the upper shoulder area, among other places too. I told a friend that, and she said, you just need to get used to the new changes, since you were much heavier for so long before shedding the weight. I can actually see bones, which I haven't in MANY years. Would love to hear if anyone else felt it took a little time for you to get used to the new fat loss changes taking place. Sorry if I sound weird bringing this up. I just know many of you have been a great source of advice in past posts. Thanks!

Replies

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    OH yes. I have been roughly the same lower weight for 6 years now and I'm still not used to my body, completely.

It takes time for sure. And it can be pretty jarring or disconcerting, even when you're overall pretty happy with the changes!

On these forums I've heard some people liken it (in ways) to going through puberty all over again because you're essentially in a different body and/or certain areas have changed a lot. I lost over 130 total but 90 within a year and during that time, I found this to be most true when it's time for shopping in smaller sizes and being completely confused about what styles worked on my body and how clothes fit. I'd been so used to being a certain size and I felt like I didn't know what worked at all.

Just remember to be easy on yourself and embrace the positive changes. If something seems odd or weird, it'll change or you will get used to it in time.
  • dmcforthewin
    dmcforthewin Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Thank you! What bugs me the most and can sometimes be frustrating, is that I am losing weight everywhere, but more in some places. I just wish my stomach area would shed as much and fast like the other areas. I feel so uneven, compared to before, where my fat was evenly distributed all over. My weight is coming off so oddly. I'm also always thinking I look weird because I'm so used to staring at an overweight person in the mirror, with zero bone structure showing for a very long time. I know you are right, that I will get use to things over time. I still have 52 lbs to go. It's funny because I look at myself, when I'm about to get dressed and I'm like, "I can't believe I have shoulders with some shape taking place and that I actually have bones when touching. Then I'm also like, "I actually have collar bones". Don't recall the last time I saw those. lol Thanks for sharing your thoughts! Congrats on your weight loss! I had a total of approx 100, so I'm 1/2 way there, since starting middle of August. I have never lasted more then a few weeks trying to lose weight.

OH yes. I have been roughly the same lower weight for 6 years now and I'm still not used to my body, completely.

It takes time for sure. And it can be pretty jarring or disconcerting, even when you're overall pretty happy with the changes!

On these forums I've heard some people liken it (in ways) to going through puberty all over again because you're essentially in a different body and/or certain areas have changed a lot. I lost over 130 total but 90 within a year and during that time, I found this to be most true when it's time for shopping in smaller sizes and being completely confused about what styles worked on my body and how clothes fit. I'd been so used to being a certain size and I felt like I didn't know what worked at all.

Just remember to be easy on yourself and embrace the positive changes. If something seems odd or weird, it'll change or you will get used to it in time.

• Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Oh yes, I actually got really irritated when a woman kept coming straight at me in the grocery store like she was playing chicken and it was me looking in a mirror! The bones are weird. I plateaued halfway and it helped me get used to a smaller me, but it's still odd. Especially mirrors, I think it's because I "feel" like me, I just don't look like me exactly. I've been at maintenance since September and I'm still getting used to how I look now.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,564 Member
    Options
    Yup. I'd add that it's possible to look worse part way to goal, than one will look at goal, and worse at goal than one will look a few months up to a year or two later. (Yes, I've been in maintenance that long plus, after losing about 50 pounds, obese to a healthy weight, at age 59-60, back in 2015.)

As you say, weight comes off in kind of random order, more in some places at some times, and that sort of thing. At goal, it can start to even out a bit more, as the later fat areas have depleted.

Also, for some of us (me, for one), the fatty areas deplete in ways that leave some fat there for a while, enough to conspire with gravity to keep the skin stretched out, but the fat mass is squishier and maybe even a little floppy, like a floppy partly-filled water balloon rather than a rounded, full, more firm one. This stage can be scary, but it, too, is likely to improve as more fat disappears, and goal approaches. Sometimes people think this stuff is loose skin, but true loose skin is thin wrinkles, like wrinkles in a medium-weight fabric; 1/2" plus rolls or folds are more likely areas that still have some subcutaneous fat.

Even at goal, some of the fatty areas are just newly depleted, and the actual loose skin will potentially keep shrinking for a while . . . for me, it was still shrinking at least into year 2 of maintenance. There can even be some redistribution of remaining fat, or what looks like that, over time.

So, try to take some of this "in process" weirdness calmly. It will change. More than likely, it will improve a lot, at goal weight, and even well beyond. Hang in there! :flowerforyou:
  • Annie42019
    Annie42019 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I have lost 70 pounds and at 57 have a totally different body than I had when I was young. But I’m enjoying the change. I had large thighs even when I was quite thin. Now I have more weight in my stomach but my thighs are thin. I find it so exciting to look great in dresses and shorts for the first time in my life. Think about ways to dress and play up the new shape you will have!
  • dmcforthewin
    Options
    So sorry I am just now seeing your reply. I haven't been on MFP for a few days, unfortanatly. I totally get what you are saying. I look into the mirror and I'm like, who is that person? lol
    Katmary71 wrote: »
    Oh yes, I actually got really irritated when a woman kept coming straight at me in the grocery store like she was playing chicken and it was me looking in a mirror! The bones are weird. I plateaued halfway and it helped me get used to a smaller me, but it's still odd. Especially mirrors, I think it's because I "feel" like me, I just don't look like me exactly. I've been at maintenance since September and I'm still getting used to how I look now.

• dmcforthewin
    Options
    I haven't been on MFP in a few days, so I apologize for just seeing your reply. I hope to be in maintenance one day, as well. My stomach area has the absolute most unwanted fat, but I will say some has come off from my measurements, but it just isn't as noticable yet. Probably because my other areas, you can see bone definition more. I have has 4 almost grown kids (one still 16), so each pregancy left me with a lot of unwanted flab. Hoping most of it will go away, but I'm suspecting I will be left behind with some unwanted loose skin. I know I will need to wait and see what's left at the very end and then give it more time to see if anymore will dissapear in maintenance over time.

Thank you so much for the feedback!
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Yup. I'd add that it's possible to look worse part way to goal, than one will look at goal, and worse at goal than one will look a few months up to a year or two later. (Yes, I've been in maintenance that long plus, after losing about 50 pounds, obese to a healthy weight, at age 59-60, back in 2015.)

As you say, weight comes off in kind of random order, more in some places at some times, and that sort of thing. At goal, it can start to even out a bit more, as the later fat areas have depleted.

Also, for some of us (me, for one), the fatty areas deplete in ways that leave some fat there for a while, enough to conspire with gravity to keep the skin stretched out, but the fat mass is squishier and maybe even a little floppy, like a floppy partly-filled water balloon rather than a rounded, full, more firm one. This stage can be scary, but it, too, is likely to improve as more fat disappears, and goal approaches. Sometimes people think this stuff is loose skin, but true loose skin is thin wrinkles, like wrinkles in a medium-weight fabric; 1/2" plus rolls or folds are more likely areas that still have some subcutaneous fat.

Even at goal, some of the fatty areas are just newly depleted, and the actual loose skin will potentially keep shrinking for a while . . . for me, it was still shrinking at least into year 2 of maintenance. There can even be some redistribution of remaining fat, or what looks like that, over time.

So, try to take some of this "in process" weirdness calmly. It will change. More than likely, it will improve a lot, at goal weight, and even well beyond. Hang in there! :flowerforyou:

• dmcforthewin
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Thank you for the kind words! Wow!. That is alot of sizes dropped. Congrats to you, as well! When I started my weight loss this past August, I was in a 24 pants, 22-24 tops. Now I am depending on make, in XL-XXL tops. Pants are what's driving me bonkers. I can't seem to budge a whole lot in pants because of this excess weight not coming off fast like other areas. I am losing in the butt and hips (big time), needing smaller pants, but the darn stupid waist/belly gets in the way. So uneven. Hopefully the waist and belly will catch up to the butt and hip area lol. I am wearing more stretch waist line pants and skirts for now.

Yessss this definitely happened to me. And as far as stomach fat, I found that was the last to go for me (I held *a lot* of fat in my stomach). I started at 278 lbs, lost 113 lbs & have been maintaining for several years now! I was wearing a 4X shirt & 26/28 pants to wearing a small/medium shirt & size 12 pants (I built a lot of muscle in my legs). I felt like an imposter in a different body for a while & sometimes I struggle with body dysmorphia, feeling a lot bigger than I really am. It’s odd 😂😅 I have found that regular exercise really helps me understand my body & proportions more.

Congratulations on your weight loss btw!!!! Wishing you the very best in your journey!!!! 🤩💖💪🌟💕

• maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Great topic, and I totally agree. I am 75+ lbs down and still going. It is interesting to say the least of where I can tell a difference and where I think when will it change any. But I know it has to have changed because reducing sizes of clothing.
    Plus after the first 40 came off, I actually started measuring which I was not doing at first.

The oddest place I have noticed is hands/fingers. All my rings are too big. I ended up buying cheap ring guards until I am closer to weight I want to be.
    And lots less back fat.
    I think part of my hangup why I keep seeing the obese lady in the mirror is I keep seeing all the middle of the body hanging fat. The brain jumps on negative instead of the positive.
  • dmcforthewin
    Options
    Oh, wow. I just went back and read my reply to HufflepuffGr19 and I noticed my word DARN, looks like DAM. I just didn't want to come off looking like I said that specifically in my post. I probably sound stupid even mentioning it, but I felt the need to, after re-reading my reply. lol
  • thewiltedred
    thewiltedred Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Yuuuup. Just lost 50lbs too. I am still having trouble accepting what I see. There is a level of disbelief. I also notice the sagging a lot. Other don't but thats been the hardest thing to get use too.
  • dmcforthewin
    Options
    I agree about losing in certain places. As minor as the fingers are, I too have noticed fat loss. Can't wear most of my rings. I feel like I am playing musical rings. I have had to switch around the rings on which fingers I wear them. We only have 5 on one hand, so how much can you play around with that? Lol I didn't think of ring guards either. Recently I was like, "I have wrist bones (at least really noticeable ones)? I am with you on the back fat. That's where, besides my sides and shoulders, is where I see the most fat loss. I hope when I lose all my weight, I will see myself as thin and not obese anymore.

I look at my upper half of the body and see the most progress, but I feel so weird. I just bought a large floor mirror and when I stood in front of it, I saw much fat loss in my legs. I didn't even realize I was losing there, until standing in the full body mirror. Glad so many here have said you just need time to get use to things, as you get to being thin.

Great topic, and I totally agree. I am 75+ lbs down and still going. It is interesting to say the least of where I can tell a difference and where I think when will it change any. But I know it has to have changed because reducing sizes of clothing.
    Plus after the first 40 came off, I actually started measuring which I was not doing at first.

The oddest place I have noticed is hands/fingers. All my rings are too big. I ended up buying cheap ring guards until I am closer to weight I want to be.
    And lots less back fat.
    I think part of my hangup why I keep seeing the obese lady in the mirror is I keep seeing all the middle of the body hanging fat. The brain jumps on negative instead of the positive.

• dmcforthewin
    Options
    I have noticed a lot of sagging in the butt. It's one place I have lost much fat and fast. I haven't been doing any toning, so maybe I need to. I started losing in August. The sagging and extra skin, that I hope I don't have by the end, worries me. I need to stop worrying prematurley I guess.
    Yuuuup. Just lost 50lbs too. I am still having trouble accepting what I see. There is a level of disbelief. I also notice the sagging a lot. Other don't but thats been the hardest thing to get use too.