I've hit a Major Plateau - HELP!

Options
So I lost 28 pounds in three months and since then (June) I haven't moved an oz on the scale. I'm not sure how to shake it up. I read about exercising more and eating more OR exercising less and just eating the same to stay under calories. I can say that I work out a lot(6 days a week 600-1000calories/wkout) and have begun training for a half marathon to see if that helps shift my body to do something else. Some tell me I'm not eating enough but my calories vs my workout usually balance out or I am under by at the most 300 calories. Any suggestions or advice fro how to keep things moving ........I still have about 20 to go. Help!

Replies

• stephyy4632
    stephyy4632 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I would also say you need to eat more
  • Ilovebeagles
    Options
    Just pig out for like a day or two... seriously it will shake up your system and you'll start dropping again.
  • Bug1993
    Options
    Just pig out for like a day or two... seriously it will shake up your system and you'll start dropping again.
    This is weird, but I agree. If I get off track for a weekend or something that next week I lose faster. It's just like a jumpstart.
  • Russellb97
    Russellb97 Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options

Great advice!

Then have a day every week,where you eat 2XBMR fo calories, so if your BMR is 1,800, one day eat 3,600 calories. It's a Spike Day, and it will spike up your metabolism up, and keep you from hitting a plateau.

This has gotten me to where I am today.
  • angisnee
    angisnee Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I was stuck losing and gaining the same 3 pounds for 4 months. So I said screw it and went up to maintenance for a couple of weeks. That helped me start losing again when I went back down to the lose 1/2-pound per week goal. I also started working out a little less, which seems strange, but I really think I was overdoing it there for awhile; our bodies need a rest every once in awhile.

Hope you find something that works for you. Good luck!
  • Jess5825
    Options

Great advice!

Then have a day every week,where you eat 2XBMR fo calories, so if your BMR is 1,800, one day eat 3,600 calories. It's a Spike Day, and it will spike up your metabolism up, and keep you from hitting a plateau.

I was wondering if that is really ok to do? I mean I'm craving chicken tenders from rester aunt, but I keep looking at the calories and saying that's too high. I had been eating 1200 calories without exercise calories and stuff and I hit a plateau, so last week I bumpeded up to 1400, now this week, I'm gonna do 1500, and so on until I'm eating the right amount and all my exercise calories. But I don't want to screw things up by eating so much at once.

I've also considered stopping my exercise for a week or two to give my body time to recover, but I found I feel like crap if I don't exercise.
  • Pattyc71
    Options
    I'm worried about the upping the calories it does make sense just don't want to dig myself into a hole. I also might try toning down the workouts....maybe my body is exhausted. Thanks
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    SHOULD I EAT MY EXERCISE CALORIES .COM:

http://shouldieatmyexercisecalories.com/

Do take the time to read the extremely helpful links on page 2.

blessings.
  • Ilovebeagles
    Options
    Couple of years ago I dropped 25 lbs and I ate well and exercised regularly... except on Fridays. Friday would be my 'free' day and I would not log anything and I would eat what I wanted. Not to excess where I was being a glutton, but I was just not worried about logging it... I lost weight almost every single week, and I lost the 25lbs in like 4 months. It works. Your body needs to be shaken up and kept on its' toes, if you will.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Great advice!

Ummm..

Looks at your sig...
    Certified Nutrition Coach & Personal Trainer
    *Free Weight Loss Guide* - http://www.spike84.com

Then looks at your post....

Not sure if serious.
  • Pattyc71
    Options
    Well to be honest Friday is my rest day from exercise and food. I log it but its my day to not really watch what I eat and I go over and have whatever I want. That doesn't do enough to shake it up ...any other suggestions?? It a toss up between not eating enough or eating too much. I wish I could understand.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I think it's great that you eat your exercise calories, but what is your base calories set at? When you don't have as much to lose, you can't be trying for 2lbs a week loss (if you are). I suggest changing your goal to 0.5lbs per week. I've seen a lot of people get results with this goal. I think it's especially important to eat enough when you are working out a ton. Your body just doesn't want to give up it's fat when you work it that hard and don't eat enough.
  • Pattyc71
    Options
    Very interesting approach I will give that a try...seems logical.
  • Russellb97
    Russellb97 Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Extremely serious.

Many people have the impression it's too good to be true, but knowing what I know through experience and research it's actually a no-brainier.

It is scientifically impossible for one bad day to screw you up, so don't worry about it.
    Say your BMR is 1,800 calories, and you don't workout but still burn an extra 500 calories throughout the day with your actviites.
    Now you ate 3,600 calories because your spiking.
    3,600-(1,800+500=2,300)= +1,300 now that is your total surplus.

How many calories equals a pound?

So worst case scenario you gain 1/3 of a pound.

The cool part is those extra calories don't get stored as fat, but instead go to restoring glycogen in your liver and muscles.

Now the best news is, when we store energy we can't be in starvation mode, they completely contradict each other. How can you be starving and store energy?

Also your body has to metabolize all 3,600 calories causing a spike in your base metabolism.

You also get to eat the foods you really love.

I call this a win-win-win-win-win

So am I serious???
    Yes I think I am.
    :happy:
    Great advice!

Ummm..

Looks at your sig...

Not sure if serious.
  • hml1976
    Options
    One of the most "in shape" guys I've ever known takes Fridays off. Eats a huge breakfast, goes out for lunch, pizza for dinner and drinks after work and he doesn't work out on Fridays either. The rest of the week he's a clean eater and works out religiously.
  • brit49
    brit49 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    eat more a couple of days
  • keiraev
    keiraev Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    I had one week where it was my anniversary and I ate about 3000 NET cals. I didn't do this on purpose but the next day I went back to my 1200 NET intake and was good as gold.

I lost 2lb that week! I should actually try it again as an experiment to see if it was a fluke or not but I am too scared of putting on the weight. It does make sense tho when people say it shakes up the metabolism.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Extremely serious.

Many people have the impression it's too good to be true, but knowing what I know through experience and research it's actually a no-brainier.

It is scientifically impossible for one bad day to screw you up, so don't worry about it.
    Say your BMR is 1,800 calories, and you don't workout but still burn an extra 500 calories throughout the day with your actviites.

The cool part is those extra calories don't get stored as fat, but instead go to restoring glycogen in your liver and muscles.

Now the best news is, when we store energy we can't be in starvation mode, they completely contradict each other. How can you be starving and store energy?

Also your body has to metabolize all 3,600 calories causing a spike in your base metabolism.

So am I serious???
    Yes I think I am.

If you are gaining 1/3 of a pound, it's going to your weight as fat or muscle. Most likely it is going to be fat, granted it's not alot. The part where you are incorrect is suggesting that she eat way over her TDEE level for one day to break her plateau. Yes one day isn't going to hurt her, but that isn't the reason she is in a plateau.

Most likely she was undereating which does a number of things. First it can actually change your BMR level to the point of where now she is no longer eating at the proper calorie deficit. Second, her macros are most likely not correct. Protein and Fat minimum macronutrient intake plays a very important role in weight loss or weight gain (if that's your goal). Not consuming the minimums can cause adverse effects as well.

When people eat X amount of calories and lose weight, and then increase their calories when they plateau they are changing their macronutrient intake also.

Bottom line: Her calorie intake is not accurate that coincides with her TDEE. Eating way over TDEE for one day isn't going to do anything except make her gain a little weight. She needs to eat at a proper deficit.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    Extremely serious.

So am I serious???
    Yes I think I am.
    Great advice!

Ummm..

Looks at your sig...

Not sure if serious.

on the day you eat 2x your BMR, is that a recovery (non-exercise or light exercise day)?

I'd like to drop 2 more lbs. just because 127 is my favorite number (ha). The scale hasn't budged for me in over 2 mos., but happily my measurements have come down. I stopped losing on 500 deficit so upped to 250 deficit, but stayed the same. Upped to maintenance cals 2 weeks ago, and continuing to maintain; possibly up 1/2 lb.

I'm training hard right now for a century ride as well as dance performances so it's hard to take a day totally off of exercise and my calorie burns and consumption are huge. I'm wondering if I can't drop those last 2 pounds until after the century when I cut back down on the miles. I finally have a day off from workouts coming this Saturday--maybe I should try eating 2xBMR? What do you think?

edit: If I could work in a rest day (big if) 1 or 2 days BEFORE big burn day, maybe that would be the day to do the 2xBMR?

blessings.
  • Theselast50lbs
    Options
    Im in the same boat so here's hoping!