Drinking stock/cuppa soup

Options
Would you recommend this as a way of avoiding afternoon snacking?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,971 Member
    Options
    Sure. Those store-bought ones are really high sodium, but other than that...

What about just hot tea? Or a low calorie snack? I find late afternoon to be my hardest time, too. I usually plan a little exercise around then, but tea or water or a bowl of raw vegetables helps.
  • UK_Ash
    UK_Ash Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Sure. Those store-bought ones are really high sodium, but other than that...

What about just hot tea? Or a low calorie snack? I find late afternoon to be my hardest time, too. I usually plan a little exercise around then, but tea or water or a bowl of raw vegetables helps.

I agree you should try to avoid if you can the salt content is huge, try to find an alterniative here in the UK Bovril is better but still quite high in salt, I tend to go with cool but not cold water about 450ml
  • Jackie9003
    Jackie9003 Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of them but have the same problem, I'm trying no added sugar dilute juice, it's 2 cal for 100ml and because it's sweet it seems to be working.
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Personally no. They make me just crave food I can chew. Tea or coffee or ice water all work better as appetit suppressants for me. Also often gum. But if it works for you and your nutritional needs go for it.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Unless you have a medical need to avoid sodium there’s nothing wrong with it. If it hits the spot to satisfy you and prevents you from random snacking that’s really what matters.

Half a vegetable stock cube in a half pint mug for me, not so keen on the actual cup-a-soup thing.

It’s something I tend to have if I’m not feeling too good, usually if recovering from a stomach upset, have done since I was a child. Something really comforting and warming about it, to me.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Pretty easy to make bone broth in a crockpot. You can control the sodium, add herbs/spices you like and it freezes well.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,998 Member
    Options
    Pretty easy to make bone broth in a crockpot. You can control the sodium, add herbs/spices you like and it freezes well.

Well, yes -but that goes for most things.

However there are times convenience wins out and people just want ready made single serve product eg cuppa soup.

unless you have a medical condition, no need to worry about the sodium in one afternoon snack.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options

Well, yes -but that goes for most things.

However there are times convenience wins out and people just want ready made single serve product eg cuppa soup.

unless you have a medical condition, no need to worry about the sodium in one afternoon snack.

My bad. I took this as OP asking about as a regular afternoon snack. I don’t have a medical condition, but after 8 years of doing this my tastes have definitely changed. I notice really salty, and sweet things. I didn’t mean to imply that OP should make her own. Just putting it out there.

Sorry for offending.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    If the soup helps you avoid eating food that you don't want to eat, you like the soup, and you have no reason not to eat the soup, then it's good for your goals.

There is no food that is inherently "good" or "bad" for weight management purposes. There is food that fits your goals and food that does not.
  • holli1ch
    holli1ch Posts: 673 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    For half and hour simmer with lid = 1/2 cup chopped onion, 1/8 cup chopped celery 3/4 cup chopped carrot, 1/4 cup chopped green beans in 3 cups vegetable broth. Makes a great fill up and the chopped veggies gives you something to chew. 30 calories for 1 cup.
  • lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    I totally drink chicken broth as a snack sometimes. I will use cartons of broth for convenience, but I do prefer making homemade broth because I can control the ingredients.

My easy stock/broth recipe is to throw a rotisserie chicken carcass, carrots, celery, onion, garlic, and sometimes radishes into a pot of water and simmer for several hours. Strain through a fine sieve and then refrigerate. Scrape off the fat the next day.

There are also these "savory sipping teas" that I've been wanting to try. They're kinda expensive though. Millies Savory Teas
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    It is a snack, just a low calorie one. I've had it sometimes when I don't want more calories.
  • holli1ch
    holli1ch Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    hzydcg1hdd82.jpg
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    They're good to drink when you're on the fly. I make bone broth, takes over a day to make it but you can control the sodium. You can just add some extra hot water and stretch it out.

F181240_Swanson_ProductLockup_threeCraftedBroths.png

• Diatonic12
    Options
    I have some of ^ this at home and I'm going drink some right now. 1 cup = 15 calories Sodium = 690 mg/30% Daily Total No added sugars Beef stock, carrots, cabbage, celery onions, tomato paste parsley, salt

@clafairy1984 I forgot about drinking broths, thanks for the reminder.
  • Diatonic12
    Options
    It you can't make it to Brodo's for some broth. Here's some ideas for add-ins to your own. I like adding parsley, lemon or lime.

Brodo-Menu-2-e1573757833458.jpg

https://www.brodo.com/broth-shops

nymag-overhead.jpg