Lemon water vs regular

Options
2»

Replies

• Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    All I drink is flavored water. My go-to is Nestle Splash Acai Grape. So yummy!
  • ashnicole083
    ashnicole083 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Sharon_C wrote: »
    All I drink is flavored water. My go-to is Nestle Splash Acai Grape. So yummy!

I haven't tried the grape but my daughter tried it at a friend's house and fell in love with it. Picking it up to today to try
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Blooperss wrote: »
    I'm curious - what makes regular water so hard to drink?

For many it is the flavor from the chlorine and chloramines added to make it safe to drink, or naturally occurring minerals from hard water or wells (which can be easily removed by using a filter). For others, they are so conditioned to having flavor and/or fizz in their beverages that going without makes it unpalatable.

I like my fizz. I use tap water filtered and chilled by my refrigerator and fizz it up with a SodaStream. Occasionally I will add flavor so I use about 1/4 tsp of lemon or lime extract which adds no calories. I lived through the cryptosporidium outbreak in Milwaukee in the 80's so we have some of the safest drinking water in the country due to the upgrades to the municipal supply and I live in a hard water area so tap water on its own isn't great , but a filter takes care of it.

Just because a bottle says "water" doesn't mean it is just water. Many are better described as diet clear soda since they have flavorings and artificial sweeteners. Many are also seltzer which is just fizzy water with or without extract added.

Lemon juice is a mild diuretic so it is recommended for woo like fasts and cleanses because it makes you pee so it appears you are losing weight. It can be helpful if you had a huge sodium day and are feeling a bit puffy from it.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Are we talking about zero-calorie lemon-flavored water that is being sold for human consumption? How could it be bad for you? (Proviso: I see it's from Nestle. Since you're typing on the Internet, I'm assuming you're not an infant and you are using it for purposes of hydration. That's fine. Please do not substitute it for baby formula or use it to dilute baby formula.)

source.gif

Apparently you never heard about this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nestl%C3%A9_boycott

TL;DR -- For more than 40 years, a variety of advocacy groups and government entities have criticized Nestle's marketing of infant formula in poor communities. Among the many issues raised is that poor mothers are given formula free in the hospital, so their milk dries up, and then they have to purchase formula they can't afford, whose directions they may not be able to read, and dilute it too much when mixing it because they couldn't possible afford as much as they would need to give their babies adequate nutrition. I'm sorry James Franco is so ill-informed.

this is not the place for your soapbox

How is a thread about whether flavored water is "clean" not a a place for a soapbox? Much cleaner with soap.
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    I often add a wedge of lemon, lime, clementine or other random citrus to my water. It tastes good and smells good and is a great healthy option.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    It's called Nestle Splash lemon water. I guess I'm just confused because I was reading about the intermittent fasting that seems to be the big thing now. It talks about in order to do a clean fast water can't be flavored. So I thought what am I missing? I thought water was water?

People say all sorts of things just because they like rules, arbitrary or not. How is "coffee flavored" water okay on IF but lemon water is not? My only concern with lemon water (other than that I personally don't like how it tastes) would be if it has enough lemon juice to be overly acidic because my teeth are sensitive to too much acid.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    It's called Nestle Splash lemon water. I guess I'm just confused because I was reading about the intermittent fasting that seems to be the big thing now. It talks about in order to do a clean fast water can't be flavored. So I thought what am I missing? I thought water was water?

You're really asking two different questions here:

1. Does flavored water break your fast? In the vast majority of protocols, some minimum amount of calories is needed to break your fast. Since this product is 0 calorie, all but the most out there versions of IF would consider it fine. Unfortunately, there are all sorts of people out there promoting their own sets of rules, many with little basis. The primary and most evidence based benefit of IF is (for some people) appetite control. If you can drink 0 calorie beverages and it doesn't make you hungry, I can't imagine why you shouldn't drink them.

2. Is it clean? "Clean eating" is another vague term that you will find a ton of different ideas as to what is and isn't clean. However, I'd guess that most people who care about eating clean wouldn't consider artificial sweeteners clean. However, sweeteners are perfectly safe to consume and eating "clean" is not necessary to lose weight or be healthy. And EVEN if you feel the need to try to eat "clean", nobody needs to be perfect, and if drinking this stuff gets you properly hydrated, I'd say the benefits are worth the exception. Most people aim for 80/20 anyway, not 100% :smiley: I drink a Coke Zero every day.

And just to clarify, eating clean and doing IF do not have to go hand in hand. Even people I've heard advertise some pretty out there health benefits to IF tie them to the time-constrained eating, not what you eat.

Eating at the right calorie level and getting to (and maintaining) a healthy weight is light years more important than when or what type of food you eat. Find a way and schedule of eating that gets you there as easily as possible, and you'll be golden :innocent:
  • lynn_glenmont
    Options
    Are we talking about zero-calorie lemon-flavored water that is being sold for human consumption? How could it be bad for you? (Proviso: I see it's from Nestle. Since you're typing on the Internet, I'm assuming you're not an infant and you are using it for purposes of hydration. That's fine. Please do not substitute it for baby formula or use it to dilute baby formula.)

source.gif

TL;DR -- For more than 40 years, a variety of advocacy groups and government entities have criticized Nestle's marketing of infant formula in poor communities. Among the many issues raised is that poor mothers are given formula free in the hospital, so their milk dries up, and then they have to purchase formula they can't afford, whose directions they may not be able to read, and dilute it too much when mixing it because they couldn't possible afford as much as they would need to give their babies adequate nutrition. I'm sorry James Franco is so ill-informed.

I guess I just don't see how there's any connection with baby formula having too much water in it and a question about whether or not lemon water is just as good as regular water.

The specific brand mentioned in the OP was Nestle. That's just the rabbit hole my mind went down in trying to imagine any reason why the lemon-flavored water could possibly be bad for you, as the OP suggested.
  • lynn_glenmont
    Options

source.gif

How is a thread about whether flavored water is "clean" not a a place for a soapbox? Much cleaner with soap.

well we are talking about whether lemon water breaks a fast. whether or not lemon water counts toward water intake or as something elsed

not the moral or ethical habits of a company who happens to make flavored water. you want to talk about that. go make your own thread. we already have a thread about ethical consumption. maybe start one about ethical drinking. or wedge into the consumption thread

You're the one who keeps coming back to it. I change the subject and you go back. I'm just trying to figure out how flavored water is bad.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

source.gif

well we are talking about whether lemon water breaks a fast. whether or not lemon water counts toward water intake or as something elsed

not the moral or ethical habits of a company who happens to make flavored water. you want to talk about that. go make your own thread. we already have a thread about ethical consumption. maybe start one about ethical drinking. or wedge into the consumption thread

You're the one who keeps coming back to it. I change the subject and you go back. I'm just trying to figure out how flavored water is bad.

Back when I was doing some religious fasts (late 70's and 80's) we were told that water with lemon juice in it was breaking the fast because it had nutrition (minimal but still . . . ) flavored seltzer was not breaking the fast because there was no nutrition since the flavoring comes from tiny amounts of extract.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options

source.gif

I guess I just don't see how there's any connection with baby formula having too much water in it and a question about whether or not lemon water is just as good as regular water.

While one could make a case that Nestle should be boycotted because of their unethical marketing practices, I don't think that's the point Lynn was trying to make. However, I appreciate this info and will indeed keep it in mind when I shop:

"For more than 40 years, a variety of advocacy groups and government entities have criticized Nestle's marketing of infant formula in poor communities. Among the many issues raised is that poor mothers are given formula free in the hospital, so their milk dries up, and then they have to purchase formula they can't afford, whose directions they may not be able to read, and dilute it too much when mixing it because they couldn't possible afford as much as they would need to give their babies adequate nutrition."

My mom is still good friends with two women she met when she was in La Leche League back in the 60s and pregnant with me.
  • lynn_glenmont
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

source.gif

While one could make a case that Nestle should be boycotted because of their unethical marketing practices, I don't think that's the point Lynn was trying to make. However, I appreciate this info and will indeed keep it in mind when I shop:

"For more than 40 years, a variety of advocacy groups and government entities have criticized Nestle's marketing of infant formula in poor communities. Among the many issues raised is that poor mothers are given formula free in the hospital, so their milk dries up, and then they have to purchase formula they can't afford, whose directions they may not be able to read, and dilute it too much when mixing it because they couldn't possible afford as much as they would need to give their babies adequate nutrition."

My mom is still good friends with two women she met when she was in La Leche League back in the 60s and pregnant with me.

Thank you. I wasn't making an argument for boycotting Nestle. (If I did, it would probably be more on the basis of their knowing support of child labor, child trafficking (abduction) for labor, and child labor for chocolate harvesting. But that's not just Nestle. :smile: ) I was just free associating in trying to figure out some logically defensible reason to consider a lemon-flavored drink "bad."

Look. There's a moo cow coming down the road. I think I'll have some milk.