Looking for experienced IF’er advice.

Options
MelG7777
MelG7777 Posts: 14,031 Member
Hey! I’ve been fairly hardcore IF’ing since June. Mostly 18/6. Some 42-48 hr fasts. I’ve lost 70lbs. I still have at least 25 to go. In the past few weeks I’ve been having more of a hard time. Hungry a lot. Not always eating what I should. Not sticking to the eating windows as well. I got down to this weight a few years back and struggled too. I’ve been listening to podcasts and reading and watching YT videos to try to gain understanding. I workout fairly hard 6-7 days a week too. I feel like I need a reset or something. Any ideas? (Did I post in the right place? Sorry if not. Not looking for opposing IF views, just looking for those with more experience with something like this.) Thanks!

Replies

• MelG7777
    Options
    How are your eating windows adjusted around your workouts? Maybe try opening your eating window right after a workout so that you're replenishing fuel fairly quickly. You say you have at least 25lbs left to lose, but do you have the fat stores to fuel a workout amid a 48 hour fast?

Personally, I was not able to sustain the long fasts or OMAD around the days that I had long runs and had to amend my eating window to optimize training.

I don’t do the 48 hr fasts very often these days. I used to to them once a week. Then every other day. But only because it was really easy. When it became difficult I went back to regular IF. I assume I have the fat stores. I’m pretty curvy still. I don’t know how to tell that except that I’m still “kinda fat”. lol. So....I usually wait until noon. Maybe try switching it up to eating earlier? I do a boot camp style workout 6 days a week at 4:45am. Use an elliptical 4-6 times a week and do some resistance band glutes workouts every day.
    Thanks for taking the time!
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,818 Member
    Options
    I don’t have much advice, but I’m in to read others’ thoughts
  • MelG7777
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    You may want to amend your post title as I am not sure that your issues, strictly speaking, have much/only to do with IF.

You've lost at a rate of at least 10lbs a month by the looks of it, which is quite fast.

You are now much leaner and that deficit rate cannot continue. If you try to push for it you will have a slowdown in your general activity level, feel crappy... oh, wait a second, you are experiencing some of this already by feeling more hunger than normal! :wink:

You probably need to move to smaller deficits and to start looking (if you haven't been doing so) to how you will be eating long term. Are you planning on continuing to fast like you've been doing while you're maintaining your weight? What type of time restricted eating are you planning on doing at maintenance?

Protect your loss first and foremost as what you've already lost confers most of the health benefits.

Push slowly for what, in the context of your total weight loss, is an optimisation problem as to how you slide into maintenance and the exact weight level you will end up at.

And if you haven't been thinking about the next 5 years... it is good that you will be spending the time that it will take to perfect your techniques while still focused on losing slowly as opposed to making oopsies while trying new things that don't work out while you're already at maintenance! :wink:
    Thank you for all of that! I feel like this specifically related to IF because I’m interested in someone experience with it. Like....it was SO EASY and now it’s not. And why? And what did they do about it?

I definitely would like to continue with IF and experimenting with longer fasts. The longer fasts weren’t so much about WL for me.

You’ve given much to think about. I’m definitely more than a little worried about how to keep it off. Thank you. ❤️
  • MelG7777
    Options
    I can't help you on the IF aspect. As I initially wrote and then deleted as irrelevant, I don't practice IF even though I do eat most of my calories in the evening/night.

Still, if I don't consume an appreciable amount of calories (about 1/3) during the day, I definitely feel a slow down in my activity/energy level.

And I am by no means fat poor even though I am normal weight and normal fat for my age group (which still puts me at over 20% fat (even though my BIA scale lies to me and claims otherwise), which I think we can all agree is not exactly lean for a guy).

BUT, I CAN tell you that the difference between the first 70 (or 100 in my case) and the last 25 is significant in the amount of relative difficultly.

You can google body weight planner and you can see Hall's research as to how you will require increasing deficits to lose the last bit and how it will have progressively more of an effect on your maintenance level of calories as you do so (the last part is as generally expected, of course)

Leaner people do better with slower weight loss, with more frequent re-feeds and diet breaks etc.

While you may have enjoyed IF'ing, I am not sure how IF combines with a leaner person losing weight and with increased activity levels. I am sure that people make it work, don't get me wrong. But it is not something I have first hand knowledge about, nor does it intuitively make me think of it as optimal in terms of creating, for example, anabolic windows around exercise.

Regardless. and as a personal opinion:

part of what you're feeling is because you have less fat reserves now and are applying large deficits and is not, strictly speaking, just an IF issue.

Maintenance is where you will win or lose the game you've bought into by losing your first 70lbs.

In my opinion preserving that win comes first and foremost before seeking even better results.

So go gently and work yourself into your final weight without generating additional hormonal responses that will promote/exacerbate an outcome of rebound weight gain as opposed to landing softly and hanging in there for the 6 to 36 months it may take for things to stabilize and you to start feeling that you can keep on maintaining forever! :smiley:

You've been operating at more than 2lbs a week of weight loss on average. Effectively, a more than 1000 Calories a day deficit. In my books anything beyond 20% of TDEE is way too much for you. So unless your daily TDEE is over 5000 Calories... you're in a no go zone :lol:

I am sure that others, guided by their own experience will disagree.
    I don't think anyone will disagree with focusing on laying the groundwork for long term maintenance though :smile:

I REALLY appreciate the well thought out response. I understand what you meant now. I won’t lie, I’m gonna need to reread this a few times to process it all. But I like the idea of eating maintenance for a while. Thank you so much again.
  • MelG7777
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    MelG7777 wrote: »
    You may want to amend your post title as I am not sure that your issues, strictly speaking, have much/only to do with IF.

You've lost at a rate of at least 10lbs a month by the looks of it, which is quite fast.

You are now much leaner and that deficit rate cannot continue. If you try to push for it you will have a slowdown in your general activity level, feel crappy... oh, wait a second, you are experiencing some of this already by feeling more hunger than normal! :wink:

You probably need to move to smaller deficits and to start looking (if you haven't been doing so) to how you will be eating long term. Are you planning on continuing to fast like you've been doing while you're maintaining your weight? What type of time restricted eating are you planning on doing at maintenance?

Protect your loss first and foremost as what you've already lost confers most of the health benefits.

Push slowly for what, in the context of your total weight loss, is an optimisation problem as to how you slide into maintenance and the exact weight level you will end up at.

And if you haven't been thinking about the next 5 years... it is good that you will be spending the time that it will take to perfect your techniques while still focused on losing slowly as opposed to making oopsies while trying new things that don't work out while you're already at maintenance! :wink:
    Thank you for all of that! I feel like this specifically related to IF because I’m interested in someone experience with it. Like....it was SO EASY and now it’s not. And why? And what did they do about it?

I definitely would like to continue with IF and experimenting with longer fasts. The longer fasts weren’t so much about WL for me.

You’ve given much to think about. I’m definitely more than a little worried about how to keep it off. Thank you. ❤️

Ok. I am a 20 year veteran of skipping breakfast. What @PAV8888 says is correct.

I do not pretend to understand all of it but I will tell you from my experience last summer it does get harder when you are eating less than you should. For 3 months I cut my calories to increase my rate of loss back to 2.75 pounds per week or 1 percent loss per week to prepare for a surgery I needed. I believe the only reason I made it through was because I had already been losing for over a year when I started and I had a fair amount of discipline built up.

There is also the issue of what a calorie deficit will do to your hormone levels as your fat stores are lessened. Again, I do not understand it completely but I know that hunger can be increased.

I think it would be very wise of you to take your foot off the pedal completely and take a two week diet/deficit break. This will help reset your hormone levels and restore your BMR. It is not really a complicated process you just need to eat your maintenance calories for 2 weeks. This can be your first trial run so you can see how it feels.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10604863/of-refeeds-and-diet-breaks/p1

I have lost most of the weight I need to lose as well. I am slowing things down even further to make sure I am fully prepared when I get to the beginning of the forever part of this deal. I have often said that my goal is not just to lose weight but to lose the mindset and the habits of the person who gained it.

Thank you. This all makes sense. I will look at that link. Good job on your loss. I appreciate the advice.
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,348 Member
    Options
    I did IF for about 4 months last year before getting injured (2 fracture bones in my foot) ...I would not do it long term...I got dizzy and was told by my doctor please stop...so I did ....Please be careful ....hugs
  • AObravo123
    AObravo123 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I'd cut down the number of days per week
  • MelG7777
    Options
    Thanks again. I should point out.....since Oct 1 I’ve only lost about 10-12 lbs. That’s when I started a new exercise plan. So the majority of what I’ve lost was from June through Sept. It’s slowed WAY down. I’m ok with slow as long as I feel good and I’m getting movement in the right direction.

Thank you all! I’m going to be re-reading all of this today.
  • MelG7777
    Options
    I used IF 16:8 to lose 70 lbs..the first 50 flew off. The next 20 a real struggle including a holiday gain. After not really losing more than a few lbs for a few months, I did some research and revamped my method.

One problem is I was having issues staying in my calorie goals with wild swings over to under. Gym day 2 to 3 hours lifting weights core exercises and cardio while eating huge amounts to stay over BMR of 1800 net then cardio on alternate days being really hard because I was so depleted. rest days not having very much food comaparatively.

I raised my calorie goals slightly and spread my exercise out through the week more evenly. Gym days I only do a warm up of cardio then split up my weight training into two separate workouts which I alternate from one visit to another. I am in and out in about an hour. I do cardio the next day. Mix in some belly dancing, some walking or some Yoga on non cardio days. This helped to stabilize my intake, takes up less of my day. Exercising 30 to 60 minutes most days of the week with one rest day more stable calorie intake. Boom! The scale started going down again. I actually look forward to moving my body on this routine too!

You are getting great advice above in this thread. Here's to you finding your new and improved groove. All of the best!

Definitely sounds so much the same!

Here’s a question....I’ve fairly blindly thrown out 1,600 calories as my target. Well, the trainer where I go talked about it with me too. But...should I be actually figuring out a Target in some better way? I was wearing a Fitbit but it seems to only track steps. So not sure if that at all even accurate. Originally I did put info into a calorie calculator and I think it was a little higher than that. Thoughts?

Thanks again all...I’m taking it all in.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    MelG7777 wrote: »
    I used IF 16:8 to lose 70 lbs..the first 50 flew off. The next 20 a real struggle including a holiday gain. After not really losing more than a few lbs for a few months, I did some research and revamped my method.

One problem is I was having issues staying in my calorie goals with wild swings over to under. Gym day 2 to 3 hours lifting weights core exercises and cardio while eating huge amounts to stay over BMR of 1800 net then cardio on alternate days being really hard because I was so depleted. rest days not having very much food comaparatively.

I raised my calorie goals slightly and spread my exercise out through the week more evenly. Gym days I only do a warm up of cardio then split up my weight training into two separate workouts which I alternate from one visit to another. I am in and out in about an hour. I do cardio the next day. Mix in some belly dancing, some walking or some Yoga on non cardio days. This helped to stabilize my intake, takes up less of my day. Exercising 30 to 60 minutes most days of the week with one rest day more stable calorie intake. Boom! The scale started going down again. I actually look forward to moving my body on this routine too!

You are getting great advice above in this thread. Here's to you finding your new and improved groove. All of the best!

Definitely sounds so much the same!

Here’s a question....I’ve fairly blindly thrown out 1,600 calories as my target. Well, the trainer where I go talked about it with me too. But...should I be actually figuring out a Target in some better way? I was wearing a Fitbit but it seems to only track steps. So not sure if that at all even accurate. Originally I did put info into a calorie calculator and I think it was a little higher than that. Thoughts?

Thanks again all...I’m taking it all in.

You could just use MFP in the way it was designed. Go through the guided setup and select 1 pound per week loss. Sync your fitbit with MFP and then start eating your calorie goal plus a portion of your exercise calories.

Alternatively:

If you want a static calorie goal you should have enough data to do the math.

Take a recent weight and subtract it from one from 6 weeks ago.

Divide it by the number of days in between (google: how many days since [previous date])

Multiply that by 3500.

Add that to your average daily intake over the 6 weeks. That is your average daily energy expenditure.

Subtract 500 from your average daily energy expenditure and that is a calorie goal that will allow you to lose 1 pound per week.

If you make any changes to your activity (up or down) you will have to adjust your eating manually.