NFC Championship

Options

Replies

• geraldaltman
    geraldaltman Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    steveko89 wrote: »
    My biggest concern for the 49ers would be that they seem to be reticent to let Jimmy G make more than one mistake. After the early INT they ran something on the order of 30 running plays out of the remaining 36 plays this past week. They were able to get the win against Minnesota but that might not translate to enough points against Rodgers or Mahomes. The defense getting healthy makes a huge difference though.

I've been saying this about JG all season. Truly, he is a decent QB. He just has awesome targets like George Kittle, Emmanuel Sanders, and Deebo Samuel. His TD to INT ratio is not that of an excellent QB. His pass game beyond 5 yards needs some work.

Getting too conservative, especially against the Chiefs (if they both advance) can be detrimental though; just ask Bill O'Brien.

I don't think the Texans were conservative. They just panicked.

I didn't see it as Texans panicking as much as they just got swamped by a Chiefs wave they just couldn't answer! Seven un-answered TD drives was a tsunami that wasn't going to be stopped. Crazy thing about football is the liklihood that nothing similar happens this week.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,515 Member
    Options
    My biggest concern for the 49ers would be that they seem to be reticent to let Jimmy G make more than one mistake. After the early INT they ran something on the order of 30 running plays out of the remaining 36 plays this past week. They were able to get the win against Minnesota but that might not translate to enough points against Rodgers or Mahomes. The defense getting healthy makes a huge difference though.
    The 9ers have the ability to score with the passing game. There were several games during the season where Jimmy carried the team, but they stuck to script because they were averaging 5 yds a carry in the Vikings game. Since the Vikings couldn't stop the run, then why bother really passing? Green Bay's defense is highly susceptible to the run and play action so I expect more of the same. Run and keep running. Then sack the hell out of Rodgers like last game (I was at that Packers game during the season and it was insane).

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options

I've been saying this about JG all season. Truly, he is a decent QB. He just has awesome targets like George Kittle, Emmanuel Sanders, and Deebo Samuel. His TD to INT ratio is not that of an excellent QB. His pass game beyond 5 yards needs some work.
    Montana wasn't that great till his 3rd year in the league and even his first year he threw 15 int. Jimmy will be good. My concern was this first playoff game and with the exception of the int, he managed the rest pretty well. Even though we ran the ball, he still has to make sure he calls the right audible when he sees the defense move.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options

Getting too conservative, especially against the Chiefs (if they both advance) can be detrimental though; just ask Bill O'Brien.
    The Chiefs defense isn't that good and the Texans really had no running game. They relied on Deshaun to MAKE plays. Best way to win is to keep the opposing offense off the field. Chiefs I'm sure will stack the box against the Titans next week and rely on Tannenhill to beat them. The Titans don't have a lot of great receiving weapons, but man I'm betting they could run some really good play action.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options

Primarily I was referring to the choice to kick a FG on 4th and <1 deep in enemy territory. Even if they don't get it there KC still only gets the ball in favorable field position for Houston's defense. They had a chance to really step on the Chief's throat and go up 28-0 (if they score) but they eschewed the analytics and kicked a chip shot. When Hardman nearly ran the kick back it ignited the sliver of hope KC had left and it was all down hill from there. All it took was a single decision of misapplied conservativeness and it turned the tide. Favorable matchups and circumstances aside, KC reiterated they're capable of putting up points in bunches and I'm not convinced the 49ers offense can keep up with that level or production if they keep the training wheels on Garoppolo.
    You did see the Saint's game right? And again that was WITHOUT Alexander and Dee Ford playing. KC's defense is leaky and Shanahan would know how to exploit it. Mahomes is amazing and they have so much speed, but a lot of Mahomes games were played against teams that had little to no pass rush this year. Still, KC lost to the Titans in the regular season, so let's not get too ahead of ourselves till the games are over this week.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

Primarily I was referring to the choice to kick a FG on 4th and <1 deep in enemy territory. Even if they don't get it there KC still only gets the ball in favorable field position for Houston's defense. They had a chance to really step on the Chief's throat and go up 28-0 (if they score) but they eschewed the analytics and kicked a chip shot. When Hardman nearly ran the kick back it ignited the sliver of hope KC had left and it was all down hill from there. All it took was a single decision of misapplied conservativeness and it turned the tide. Favorable matchups and circumstances aside, KC reiterated they're capable of putting up points in bunches and I'm not convinced the 49ers offense can keep up with that level or production if they keep the training wheels on Garoppolo.
    You did see the Saint's game right? And again that was WITHOUT Alexander and Dee Ford playing. KC's defense is leaky and Shanahan would know how to exploit it. Mahomes is amazing and they have so much speed, but a lot of Mahomes games were played against teams that had little to no pass rush this year. Still, KC lost to the Titans in the regular season, so let's not get too ahead of ourselves till the games are over this week.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Garoppolo definitely has capability to have the 49ers putting up points but his performance band is awfully wide. If he has another stretch where he isn't seeing the underneath coverage, puts them in a hole early, and the Chiefs are able to get the quick passing game going to mitigate the 49ers excellent pass rush it would spell trouble for the red & gold. I'm not saying it's likely, only that it's within the range of possible outcomes. Kittle and Deebo definitely present some matchup issues and KC's run defense is hot garbage. That's not to say that Hill and Kelce present similar matchup problems against really any defense. I'm really just hoping that's the super bowl matchup we get because I don't really see any other combination as a game I'm getting overly excited to watch.

It doesn't hurt I still have Kittle and Kelce going strong in my fantasy eliminator pool.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Garoppolo definitely has capability to have the 49ers putting up points but his performance band is awfully wide. If he has another stretch where he isn't seeing the underneath coverage, puts them in a hole early, and the Chiefs are able to get the quick passing game going to mitigate the 49ers excellent pass rush it would spell trouble for the red & gold. I'm not saying it's likely, only that it's within the range of possible outcomes. Kittle and Deebo definitely present some matchup issues and KC's run defense is hot garbage. That's not to say that Hill and Kelce present similar matchup problems against really any defense. I'm really just hoping that's the super bowl matchup we get because I don't really see any other combination as a game I'm getting overly excited to watch.

It doesn't hurt I still have Kittle and Kelce going strong in my fantasy eliminator pool.
    Any team can beat any team on any given day, but I look at some of the stats beyond just what's the final score. The 9ers can score in just about any quarter. 9ers are 4th in scoring in the 1st quarter, KC 11th. In the 2nd quarter 9ers are 8th, KC is 1st.
    In the 3rd 9ers are 2nd and KC 4th. In the 4th, 9ers are 5th and KC is 25th. This shows that SF makes adjustments through the whole game by quarter and not just at halftime. While numbers don't alway count (Baltimore was high in most of scoring also) it does help to see where the team is really at overall.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • notmyachillesheel8
    notmyachillesheel8 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    GO NINERS! I got my tickets and am headed to Santa Clara Sunday morning!! I’m so pumped!! Our defense is gonna make Mr Rodgers look humans
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    I'll stand by my earlier comments, and some of you all have also hit on, if Chiefs defense plays at their best (again not THE BEST in the league by far) then they have a chance. Mahomes is back from his injuries (remember it was his first game back against the Titans last time, and they barely won in the 4th if I recall) and since we are playing at home for this next game that should help as well including the momentum from last weeks win.
  • jestog63
    jestog63 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    San Fran/Greenbay -- Cowboys fan so I hate boffum -- I got Texas High school products on both AFC teams playing this weekend so I am pulling AFC this year. This weekend it's Tyler vs Big Spring as far as I am concerned.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options

I didn't see it as Texans panicking as much as they just got swamped by a Chiefs wave they just couldn't answer! Seven un-answered TD drives was a tsunami that wasn't going to be stopped. Crazy thing about football is the liklihood that nothing similar happens this week.

That fake punt in that position at that point was a panic move. The waffling between going for it and a FG was panicky. The play calling once it was slipping away felt desperate.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options
    So I guess we are just discounting the Packers entirely as having a chance to beat the 49ers?
  • bojack5
    bojack5 Posts: 2,859 Member
    Options
    So I guess we are just discounting the Packers entirely as having a chance to beat the 49ers?

Nope. Jimmy G is a good but flawed QB. I dont care how good the 49ers defense is if Jimmy G gives the ball away like he has been known to do and give Aaron Rodgers extra chances on the field......sooner or later it will cost them. And if the niners only pass the ball 6 times in the second half because they are afraid their QB might screw up.....they will lose.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Any team can beat any team. It's just based on opponents, homefield and how the 9ers have played the last 6 games, I don't think the Packers will win.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options
    bojack5 wrote: »

Nope. Jimmy G is a good but flawed QB. I dont care how good the 49ers defense is if Jimmy G gives the ball away like he has been known to do and give Aaron Rodgers extra chances on the field......sooner or later it will cost them. And if the niners only pass the ball 6 times in the second half because they are afraid their QB might screw up.....they will lose.
    If you watch the game, Zimmer basically told his linebackers NOT to fall for play action. That's when Garappolo got picked. So Shanahan just stuck to the run because linebackers didn't attack the holes fast enough checking to see if Jimmy handed the ball off. That first drive, the linebackers were biting on play action and motion and the 9ers marched right down the field and scored with Jimmy passing the ball. Now he DOES pass the ball into coverage sometimes and it can be disastrous, but overall this year he's been good enough to keep us in games and has brought us back a few times. But I don't see Jimmy as the catalyst here. The Packers AREN'T good at stopping the run, so I expect a lot of Coleman, Mostert and Breida on the field again and the D just getting the job done.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• geraldaltman
    geraldaltman Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options

That fake punt in that position at that point was a panic move. The waffling between going for it and a FG was panicky. The play calling once it was slipping away felt desperate.

We disagree. My thought is based on what I watched; your's is on the ridiculous notion of knowing more or better than the folks on the sideline or field.
  • Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,231 Member
    Options
    Go Pack Go!

I was a Packer fan in 1960s as a teenager. The Packers were champions and my family were all Bears fans LoL. So I was a Packer fan but strong ties to Bears because the family team is still Bears.

But in 1990s I moved to Milwaukee same time Favre arrived. I have been ALL IN with Packers ever since.

As for next game I am happy to have veteran Aaron over Jimmy. It all depends on the rest of the team. As we saw Lamar Jackson/Ravens can be beaten any Sunday.

Knowing what happened to Packers last time they played 49ers I hope the coach comes up with a plan.

• ninerbuff
    Options

Jimb376mfp wrote: »
    Go Pack Go!

I was a Packer fan in 1960s as a teenager. The Packers were champions and my family were all Bears fans LoL. So I was a Packer fan but strong ties to Bears because the family team is still Bears.

But in 1990s I moved to Milwaukee same time Favre arrived. I have been ALL IN with Packers ever since.

As for next game I am happy to have veteran Aaron over Jimmy. It all depends on the rest of the team. As we saw Lamar Jackson/Ravens can be beaten any Sunday.

Knowing what happened to Packers last time they played 49ers I hope the coach comes up with a plan.

Remember that LaFleur worked under Shanahan which is likely why Shanahan was in Saleh's ear the last time they played. LaFleur will have a better game plan, but remember that the 9ers got better by just having Alexander and Dee Ford playing this last game. Plus Shanahan is really inventive on how he can get the ball running down different players being involved (WR's, TE's and even the FB). Ought to be a great game, but I don't see the Pack winning this one.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options
    bojack5 wrote: »

Lol, they only passed the ball 8 times the whole game. Like I said previously, the Packers CAN'T stop the run. No need to pass if you can run all over them and that's exactly what we did. SUPERBOWL BOUND BABY!!!!! What a great Birthday present to me yesterday!

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options
    busyPK wrote: »
    I'll stand by my earlier comments, and some of you all have also hit on, if Chiefs defense plays at their best (again not THE BEST in the league by far) then they have a chance. Mahomes is back from his injuries (remember it was his first game back against the Titans last time, and they barely won in the 4th if I recall) and since we are playing at home for this next game that should help as well including the momentum from last weeks win.
    Titans are good. Shanahan and the D have their work cut out for them the next 2 weeks. Unlike Tenessee, we can tackle and aren't just totally one dimensional, so this should be a great Superbowl.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png