Sleep advice?

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    Some of my clients recommend marijuana. I'm in Cali so it's legal.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • sammidelvecchio
    sammidelvecchio Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    I have been in psycho therapy since October 2018. I have CPTSD, and while I still suffer many nights, many nights I don't. Therapy has helped tremendously.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    if antidepressants were recommended, seriously consider working with your doctors to find the right one. there are MANY different options. different ones affect people differently. find one that doesn't make you tired. also know it takes 2 weeks or so for the side effects to sort themselves out.

nothing wrong with a little extra help. and you don't have to be on them forever. they can help you find your sleeping rhythm.
  • KickboxFanatic
    KickboxFanatic Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Please do extensive research before going the ambien route. And if you do decide that ambien is the way to go, under no circumstances should you mix them with alcohol. Especially if you have PTSD and/or depressive episodes.
  • kdbulger
    kdbulger Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    For me, sleep hygiene is key. That essentially means cleaning up my routine to support a consistent sleep routine.

I have a blue-light blocker on my phone after 7pm.
    When I am going through a period of sleep disturbance I cut out my phone/laptop use after 8pm. I don't find TV affects me but some do - so decide for yourself if that needs to go too.
    Regular exercise really helps tire me to the point where my body will overcome its insomnia.
    Retire the same time each night and set an alarm for the same time each morning.

I also can't sleep properly when my iron is low (ironic considering it makes me so tired) or when I'm not getting enough vitamin D.

Caffeine after 1pm is detrimental as well.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Former Marine here...

I've found CBD oil to be very helpful. I also have a 25 Lb weighted blanket that has been really helpful.
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I’d also point out that Ambien is not the only choice for sleep meds. I go back and forth between hydroxyzine and tamazepam
  • niknakpakwak
    niknakpakwak Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I really love our white noise machine! It has multiple different sounds so if you like rain or forest or static sounds it's got you covered. It helps me focus my mind on something that will let me eventually fall asleep.
  • Fujigala
    Fujigala Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I always listen to audio books to go to sleep. Harry Potter is great. All libraries are connected to apps now and you can download the audio.

I get up at 7 every morning. No sleeping in and no naps. Consistency is important.

I go for a walk every day. I think being outside is important for our well being and so is exercise.

No caffeine in the evenings. I didn't realize at first how much that affected me, especially espresso.

I think co-sleeping is helpful too. I got my boyfriend, but I've known people that were roommates and it helped them to sleep better.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    {{{{{{{ <3 HUGS <3 }}}}}}}}}}

The replies you got are super terrific--so MANY wonderful responses. Here's a few more:
    I can't emphasize enough how much a "good" pillow can help. You can't necessarily go by how expensive the pillow is though, because a lot of times spending more $$$$ on pillows don't help--even though they're expensive, that doesn't mean they will be comfortable or the best or keep their shape. One of the BEST pillows I've ever had didn't cost a lot. I found it at Marshall's and it is called "coolmax gel pillow" and it's utterly wonderful. I looked for the one's Marshall's has (or had) and couldn't find them for reviews for you--but there are reviews for "gel pillows" if you look on line. They were cheap too, I think about $14 to $20.00 dollars max I think. I couldn't find the one I got, but it's by the same people that recommended the "weighted-blanket" (I'd never heard of that, but was surprised to find the same company makes these gel pillows too).

Also, reading (especially Bible reading (even if you aren't "religious or christian or whatever, bible reading can/will make you sleepy as all get out, again, especially if you aren't really "into it" and sometimes even if you are :p ), but to/for people who aren't used to reading the bible, honey that will put you to sleep faster than you can say zzzzzzzzzzz...If you don't know where to start, start in Proverbs and The Psalms. The same thing with praying--when one puts/sets their hearts and minds on praying or begins to pray--BOOM, sleep/sleepiness comes on super FAST for some reason.

Lastly, this may sound "square or lame"...but wikihow is just wonderful. I've learned soooo much from wikihow, it's amazing. I looked it up and found an "article" on there called:

How to Cure Insomnia
    https://www.wikihow.com/Cure-Insomnia

If you will, please read the entire thing/wikihow article (if you haven't already). There will be lots on there that you have heard or already knew...BUT, you will also find a LOT of ideas you haven't heard or thought of.

Thank you EVER so very much for taking the time to post here. Your post is going to hopefully not only help you--but TONS of others struggling/suffering with this issue too. {{{{{ HUGS again }}}}} Please know you are not alone and here's to your healing and wellness. o:)<3o:)

Along the lines of reading the Bible, I read myself to sleep and can look up things in Wikipedia from my Kindle, and sometimes that helps me get back to sleep faster. Recent topics have been the Dead Sea, Faberge eggs, and John the Baptist - out like a light!
  • kshama2001
    Options
    COGypsy wrote: »
    I’d also point out that Ambien is not the only choice for sleep meds. I go back and forth between hydroxyzine and tamazepam

Since Temazepam (Restoril) is a benzodiazepine, I don't take it regularly, but I do find it useful for nights when I can anticipate having what I call "sleep anxiety" - when it's crucial for me to get a good night's sleep due to unusual commitments the next day.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Former Marine here...

I've found CBD oil to be very helpful. I also have a 25 Lb weighted blanket that has been really helpful.

Former Air Force here. I tried CBD and it didn't quite do it for me. I do find its stronger relative, which is legal where I live, quite effective.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    Oh my god I love this app lol. Everyone thank you, super helpful advice!

Someone just saved me from a horrible fate with the dangers of melatonin post. I had no idea it could be harmful and I was popping pills like candy.

I do get treated for PTSD at the VA, but I refuse to take their antidepressants anymore. The antidepressants were very helpful with sleeping but unfortunately they were too helpful and what kind of life is it to sleep all day and feel groggy and lifeless when you’re awake? I must have tried 5 different types, I’m just over it.

I didn’t realize screens and phones affected sleep. I had only heard that they affect your vision. So that’s great advice that I’ll try. The ambien advice I’ll definitely be trying for emergencies. I stopped drinking coffee and tea after 2 pm years ago, but maybe I’ll just stick to one cup in the morning and cut myself off after that. I haven’t been working out since I got out of the service, just recently started when I realized I’ve gained 40 lbs since I got out. I always work out in the mornings, because it jumps your metabolism for the next 6 or so hours. So I’ll definitely make sure I don’t workout before bed and maybe exercising every day will help with sleeping at night. I have a comforter that I absolutely love, so I’m hesitant to try a weighted blanket but if none of this other stuff works I’ll give it a shot. I’ll try the mediation, and keep myself to a schedule, shut off electronics at least an hour before bed. So hopefully all these little tidbits of advice will work.

You guys rock! Thanks again.

I might have tried 5 anti-depressants before I discovered Wellbutrin. I take SR now. You're supposed to take 2 per day but I just take the AM dose so it won't affect my sleep.

I like it because it's a little speedy and this kicks in right when I'm thinking about exercising at lunch time.
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    Options
    Sleep hygiene is good to practice.

And, though I know you won't be thrilled with this, see a therapist and start working on the PTSD. There are some new therapies out that actually work and can give you help in putting the memories where they belong. We don't have a problem seeing a pulmonologist for asthma or a urologist for frequent UTIs; psychotherapists specializing in PTSD are the people to take the symptoms you're having too, along with the ones you didn't mention.

My first husband had severe PTSD, and I know it's miserable to live with. Just because it's a wound to the psyche doesn't mean that it doesn't deserve treatment.
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    COGypsy wrote: »

Since Temazepam (Restoril) is a benzodiazepine, I don't take it regularly, but I do find it useful for nights when I can anticipate having what I call "sleep anxiety" - when it's crucial for me to get a good night's sleep due to unusual commitments the next day.

I’ve been really glad my doc and I were able to work the hydroxyzine into the mix. It’s an old school antihistamine, so has less risk of dependency. My seasonal depression has been brutal this year which has me up to nightly sleep meds for the last few months. Being able to back off the temazepam has made me much less concerned about addiction potential. The slight differences in timing and after effects make it easier to choose one based on the next day’s schedule and how long I have to sleep.

• NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    {{{{{{{ <3 HUGS <3 }}}}}}}}}}

The replies you got are super terrific--so MANY wonderful responses. Here's a few more:
    I can't emphasize enough how much a "good" pillow can help. You can't necessarily go by how expensive the pillow is though, because a lot of times spending more $$$$ on pillows don't help--even though they're expensive, that doesn't mean they will be comfortable or the best or keep their shape. One of the BEST pillows I've ever had didn't cost a lot. I found it at Marshall's and it is called "coolmax gel pillow" and it's utterly wonderful. I looked for the one's Marshall's has (or had) and couldn't find them for reviews for you--but there are reviews for "gel pillows" if you look on line. They were cheap too, I think about $14 to $20.00 dollars max I think. I couldn't find the one I got, but it's by the same people that recommended the "weighted-blanket" (I'd never heard of that, but was surprised to find the same company makes these gel pillows too).

Also, reading (especially Bible reading (even if you aren't "religious or christian or whatever, bible reading can/will make you sleepy as all get out, again, especially if you aren't really "into it" and sometimes even if you are :p ), but to/for people who aren't used to reading the bible, honey that will put you to sleep faster than you can say zzzzzzzzzzz...If you don't know where to start, start in Proverbs and The Psalms. The same thing with praying--when one puts/sets their hearts and minds on praying or begins to pray--BOOM, sleep/sleepiness comes on super FAST for some reason.

Lastly, this may sound "square or lame"...but wikihow is just wonderful. I've learned soooo much from wikihow, it's amazing. I looked it up and found an "article" on there called:

How to Cure Insomnia
    https://www.wikihow.com/Cure-Insomnia

If you will, please read the entire thing/wikihow article (if you haven't already). There will be lots on there that you have heard or already knew...BUT, you will also find a LOT of ideas you haven't heard or thought of.

Thank you EVER so very much for taking the time to post here. Your post is going to hopefully not only help you--but TONS of others struggling/suffering with this issue too. {{{{{ HUGS again }}}}} Please know you are not alone and here's to your healing and wellness. o:)<3o:)

Along the lines of reading the Bible, I read myself to sleep and can look up things in Wikipedia from my Kindle, and sometimes that helps me get back to sleep faster. Recent topics have been the Dead Sea, Faberge eggs, and John the Baptist - out like a light!

How/what fabulously interesting (and potential "sleep" inducing) topics--"out like a light" indeed. Funny you should mention/study "Faberge eggs"--I just saw what reminded me of a Faberge egg in a shop the other day. I hadn't thought of one of those in many years. I've been studying/researching what daily life was like in the mid-early 19th and 20th centuries. How the "industrial revolution" and inventions like electricity in homes and businesses, cars/transporation, various household products (that we now take for granted and/or never think about) but was world/life changing back then, etc. (high technologies back then) drastically changed lives and times big time. Talk about "sleep inducing"...for sure, but incredibly interesting and absolutely fascinating way/subjects to help get your zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz on!

• steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Options
    In high school I would comically toss and turn, basically needing to completely remake my bed 2-3 times per week. Once I had a house of my own where I controlled the thermostat this stopped, keeping the room cool is critical for me to get quality sleep. I like it close to 60, though that's far more achievable in winter than summer, but if I do I basically wake up in the exact position in which I fell asleep.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I'm on the other end and could sleep through an artillery strike...and have.

When I was a kid my sensei taught us a trick to get to sleep. Think of your body and work from the bottom up "My toes are relaxed, my feet are relaxed, my ankles are relaxed..." similar to counting sheep it's a mindless repetitive exercise that puts your mind in a relaxed state.

The military sets us up to complete tasks, so incomplete tasks can be a great source of stress.

I make sure my family is taken care of and they are on a good path. I turn off electronics and pick up a book.

I setup a pre-sleep ritual and meditate over the day. I address what happened that day and what I need to do tomorrow. A mental exercise to put my mind at ease and make sure everything that needs to be done is done. The one thing that gives me stress is having an outstanding task and no plan on how to address it, so I minimize this as much as possible.

I brew up a cup of tea and relax, then go to bed.

• kshama2001
    Options
    steveko89 wrote: »
    In high school I would comically toss and turn, basically needing to completely remake my bed 2-3 times per week. Once I had a house of my own where I controlled the thermostat this stopped, keeping the room cool is critical for me to get quality sleep. I like it close to 60, though that's far more achievable in winter than summer, but if I do I basically wake up in the exact position in which I fell asleep.

Before I got control of the thermostat I used to get a lot of nosebleeds in the winter, as well as being plagued by dry, itchy skin.

I too set the thermostat at 60 degrees at night in the winter. It's warmer than I like in the summer, but I also lose my weighted blanket and quilts.

Best sleep of my life was when I was winter camping and the temperature was in the teens. I'd wake in the same position, too.

Of course, I had specialized gear for this, but I do not understand how people who've lost weight (and don't have a medical condition) can't find clothing to keep them warm at 70 degrees if I can be warm sleeping outside in the teens. (I did make it down to 7 degrees, but that was a little too cold, even for me.)